1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones: Trade Asset, or Key Piece For 2013 Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pragmatician, Jul 12, 2013.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Mister Jones should start at 4 and stay there until proven otherwise. If we blister out of the gate, and he's a good part of that, why mess with it ?

He is tearing up summer league..man vs boys ...and so smooth !

2. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

key piece for '13, '14, '15....

It is too easy to be near-sighted and trade Harden for a veteran (K-Mart) as some other team did...

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

If you're not a star or performing out of your mind on a cheap contract, you're not long for this team.

TJones won't be here by the beginning of the 2014-2015 season.

5. dantian

dantian Member

not mutually exclusive.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

I hope Morey is patient with both him & D-Mo. Remember a key player to our championship team: Carl Herrera? He was not doing very much in his 1st year, put up very low numbers but with increased minutes in 92-93 started to become a bit better. Some 15-20 point games here and there, good rebounding numbers and slowly becoming a good defender. Then in 93-94 he was more physical, getting even more minutes and despite the numbers still not mind blowing, he contributed heavily and probably would've gotten a lot of +20 because of his D. Then in 94-95 it was a real possibility to become the starting PF, had he not gotten injured. So let's wait and see what Jones can do, cause I cannot imagine him becoming anything less than Carl with his ability to block shots, rebound, dribble and variety of scoring.

1 person likes this.
  7. herro

herro Member

I wouldn't trade Jones or Asik unless the haul was SUBSTANTIAL

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This is kinda how I'm leaning. Can make T-Jones the "Robert Horry" of this team, the young unproven starter of the bunch who finds his niche as he goes.

In their 2nd year, Tayshaun Prince, Mehmet Okur were starters/part-time starters on title winning teams. Tony Parker was after he sucked as a rookie. Way back the Lakers won a title with 2nd year AC Green as a starter. Don't have to ask them to be Bird, Magic and Tim Duncan, just complementary players. Maybe they can make Motiejunas the "Mehmet Okur" of the team.

This also KIND of on Rocket's D-League philosophy. Its supposed to develop players faster. Perhaps T-Jones and Motiejunas are more advanced today with D-League than without it (Yes I think so). It'd be more comforting if Jones played more meaningful NBA minutes last year. But why not see if all that D-League experience and philosophy can pay off.

(I kinda wish Rockets woulda signed a cheap vet power forward for cheap insurance instead of Casspi, for the insurance. Unless we count Greg Smith as a "vet". But maybe there arent any out there worth it.) Still until he gets dealt, I'm drinking the Jones Kool-Aid.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is the enthusiastic about this team i've seen you in a dozen years :grin:

what about the PG situation? last season you weren't all that high on lin, especially with reservations about him being the PG on a championship team..

one piece i think this team is still missing is a veteran bruising big man in the oakley sort of mold. we have a rotation with dwight/asik and then 3 kids at the PF spot...

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Excellent post, I totally agree. We need to stop viewing everyone as a "trade chip" and start developing talent and team continuity. Let the revolving door close and tweaking begin. We have the centerpieces, now build the supporting cast, hopefully from within. And yes, SA is the model for this.

11. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

I think Jones starts for us at the 4 this year and explodes . With all the offense on the court all he really needs to do is block shots and score from hustle plays. This athletic starting 5 ( with or without Lin ) fits him. I don't want to go out and chase another big piece because it will hurt our chances of keeping Parsons so let's roll with jones and D.Mo or smith backing him up

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/61366/orlando-summer-league-final-judgments

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I love D-Mo, but I think Jones' skillset and versatility is a great longterm fit in between Parsons and Dwight. I'd rather Motiejunas be the one included in trade talks, and he might just have higher trade value due to his size/skill/upside combination.

In other words, I'd like to keep Jones and have him be a key part of our rotation, as a starter or a backup this year. The only way I'd come to terms with him being thrown into a package is if it's for an Aldridge type.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

he'll start..

now, if he exceeds anyone's expectations and we make it to the finals, he'll stay

if not, he'll be used with Asik as trade bait...

I personally wish it was Asik and DMo, I still think Jones is a much better player than DMo will ever be..

15. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

As long as D-Mo and T-Jones are on cheap contracts you can pretty much book-it that they will be here. Unless one of them is part of a package to get either Lin or Asik moved. Lin and Asik are the players with the Balloon payments due after this season. But we will see, I see the Rockets becoming more stable personnel wise. But they will make moves to pay Chandler Parsons, I think! We will see come mid season.