1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones has more upside not named Ant Davis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Terrence Jones has more upside than any PF not named Ant Davis

oopps meant to post this here::confused:

Morey better not trade this kid.

There is not a young 4 in the league with as much upside as Tjones besides Davis. Our boy has prototypical 4 height and size, he has a high motor, good athleticism - can go strong to the hoop, shoot, rebound, drop off a pass, and has been a heck of a 1-on-1 defender.

He's still working on team defense, but that will come with the right coaches. Most guys start off better team defenders and not as good 1 on 1.

I think he has the upside to be the 2nd best player on this team in a couple of years. That's saying a lot given the talent on our roster.

Any trade that involves him or his position that does not bring in LMA or Love I'm against.

That includes Milsap, Ilyasova, Ryan Anderson ( iguess Ryan would be fine off the bench). I dont wanna take any minutes away from this kid. The best thing we can do as a team and organization is let him play meaningful minutes this year- so he gets better for next season. This is basically his rookie season since his minutes last year were so limited.

I mean when you look at young PFS, Randolph is the Gold Standard but after that who else would you take over Jones?

Milsap (not even young) nice skillset, but smaller tweener size.

Sullinger- might be more offensively skilled, but nowhere the athlete/defender Jones is.

Cody Zeller- not even close

Taj Gibson- smaller and older.

Tristan- No where the defender Jones is, not as diverse on offense. Doesnt have the ability to attack the hoop, shoot, and post up.

Faried, higher motor and better on help D, but nowhere near the offensive skillset Jones has.

Greg Monroe- way more still, less athletic. Might be as skilled on offense, but Jones has better all around upside.

Jordan Hill- System PF

Ed Davis- lol

Jon Henson- Jones is more polished- not as good of a help defender.

Tobias Harris, Jones is a more traditional 4, Tobias is like a tweener 3/4

Derrick favors- The 2 have similar size and potential, but Favors has no motor or drive. Dude just coasts through games. I'd take Tjones!

#1 Shawndme7, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. roksoer

roksoer Member

I tend to agree, though you forgot about LMA and Love, but I guess LMA isn't young anymore.

I wouldn't trade TJones for any PF other than LMA or Love.

3. Shawndme7

I didnt forget them (i tried not to list established players though I did with Milsap--since ATL came early in the analysis). I mentioned them.

But if we arent getting those 2, I wouldnt trade Jones for anyone who would take his role or a major cut from his minutes.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would trade him for a true all star caliber player in a heartbeat, but short of that, I probably wouldn't move him.

I'm very impressed with many facets of his game so far, but more than anything I think it's nuts he's shooting over 50% from three (small sample size). That number will come down, but that's OK. If he can shoot only 35% from three, even that is a BIG plus from the 4 spot, when you factor in his defense/rebounding/faceup game/etc.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed. Do not trade Terrence. Only for Love or Aldridge. Even then given we would probably have to throw in Asik and another player or two (perhaps Parsons ? to match salaries, I would still have to think about it.

He is almost certainly the real deal. If it was his rookie season he would be rookie of the year.

If it is his second season he might play in the rookie/ second year All Star game if they still have that.

We are almost for sure set at PF. Wow !!

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

Still, he runs like in clown shoes. Happy he's contributing tho.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shawndme7

So what? Ive always contended lamarcus Aldridge runs like he's on stilts.

Me and my boys ll him Lamarcus Stiltridge.

P.S. Jones is a better defender than Love and LMA ever will be. Cant wait for us to get a coach that teaches him team D concepts.

8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I like TJones but feel a lot of his production right now is because the other teams are not paying any attention to him.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Um I do have to say that the premise of OP's thread is kind of ridiculous though.

T-Jones is looking great, but he's also benefiting a TON by the amount of attention all the other players on this stacked offense are drawing. That's fine, but don't go too crazy with the hyperbole.

Jones is playing like an awesome roleplayer so far, but he lacks the ability to create his own shot for the most part. He cuts well, catches & dunks well, gets offensive rebounds, can even knock down the open jumper... BUT he's not a guy you can give the ball to and say, get us some points. He's not gonna break down the double team and score anyway on a regular basis...

And that's OK on this team because already have guys who can do that, plenty of them in fact. But, to say Jones has more upside than anybody but Davis... that's kinda crazy, since there are plenty of other young power forwards who can, or have the potential to, create their own shots.

10. Shawndme7

How many of those PFS I mentioned that arent love or LMA do you give the ball to and get out of the way of?

I mean the guy preseason that everybody around the league was hyping as that next guy was Derrick Favors (lol).

11. vator

vator Contributing Member

He was inserted in the starting lineup 6 games ago. As a starter...15 points, 9rebounds, 2 blocks and a PER over 20. How good can this kid be? He is only 21. I think he turns 22 in January. I've been saying since last year to give this young man playing time. Almost every time he gets minutes, he contributes something to the game and puts up good numbers. The scary thing is he isn't really doing anything spectacular or outside of his abilities to make you think he can't sustain this. In fact, he has much more to offer in regards to handling the ball and being a facilitator. He is playing under control right now which is great, but he has a little more to offer still. Keep working hard T. Jones, it's paying off in spades.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just of the guys you mentioned (which is not a comprehensive list), Greg Monroe especially is a MUCH better shot creator than Jones, and I think Sullinger is as well as both of those guys having better overall upside + better present stats.

13. Shawndme7

Monroe is the closest one Id take over Jones, but hes not as good defensively and probably not a true 4.

Sullinger is slightly more gifted offensively, but nowhere near the defender Jones is. You really trust that body to hold up 82 games for more than a few seasons?

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I love Sully, I wanted us to get him in the draft. I think he's gonna be an all star in this league at least once or twice in his career.

15. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I still can't believe we have T.Jones playing so well. He puts up nice numbers efficiently and impact both end of the floor so effortlessly, with almost no NBA experience two weeks ago. It's incredible.

It almost looks like he will be an all-star in a year or two, and might as well turn out to be the second best player in his draft class (surpassing Lillard)…

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, but still, his performance for the his first several games as a starter has been nothing short of spectacular.

16. Remii

Remii Member

I agree... TJ actually has the highest skill set on the team _ can play 3 positions and has point guard skills with the ball. Josh Smith like on defense and has a plethora of offensive skills. The true legitimate 2way player on the team.

Morey has been drafting power forwards for years and getting laughed at. TJ is his "I'll Show You I Can Draft A Power Forward" pick. He's probably the safest player not to get traded on the team. And he's better than guys like Anderson and Ersan RIGHT NOW so why trade...

17. Remii

Remii Member

Yes sir...!!!

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is pretty much the way I feel. You don't move jones for less than a LMA-type player the way he's been playing. The sample size is too small to know for sure, but it looks like we've found our starting 4. The defense, the rebounding, the shot blocking, the altheticism, the big body and long arms...this kid has a high ceiling.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's playing excellent basketball. I would trade him for a good PF. Dwight doesn't have as much time left as I thought before we signed him.

20. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I am on a wait and see status about Jones. His first true test will come when Rockets are facing ZBo and company tomorrow night.

I might sound like a debbie downer, but that's the lesson I learned from Jones hype two preseasons ago. Biggest challenge for Jones is gonna be against big sized PF's. And I hope he will be able to pass each one of those tests with flying colors.

Edit: you can bet that Grizzlies will use ZBo as their focal point of their attack tomorrow night.