1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones, Donatas, and Spacing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ag3ntgandhi, Apr 4, 2013.

1. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Hey guys, I just wanted to have a discussion about the using of Terrence when he was on the court. Yes, I know one game is nothing to go off of in terms of ability, but we did get a glimpse of how Terrence can be a versatile rebounder.

So, what I wanted to talk about was how you guys think he should be used in terms of spacing the floor. We saw him hover around the 3 point line quite a few times last night to create some lanes for Harden or whomever, but whenever he got the ball down there he would always pump fake and drive in. Teams will pick up on that, and if he is used in the same way, he'll just have to drain some of those shots in order to keep them honest.

But, is that the best way to utilize him? Sure he'll be able to knock down those shots every once in awhile, but, at least in my opinion, I'd rather have him getting into position for an offensive rebound or working on post moves instead of watching a shot go up and being at the 3-point line and not being able to contribute to the play anymore.

D-Mo is another example of this as well. We've seen the great footwork he's had when in the post, and we've seen him hit some 3s. But, and once again this is my opinion, I don't think using him that way is the best way to play him, and I know some fans grow frustrated seeing him miss far more threes than he makes.

I know having these guys out there is in place in order for our P&R players to have more driving room, but do you think we should find a way to use a somewhat different scheme in order to utilize everyone on the court more? We saw Greg put into the starting lineup in order to switch it up, but he didn't really get a starter's minutes as our play went back to what it has been all year.

This isn't meant to be some highly in-depth analysis, I just wanted to start a constructive discussion on our offense and where it could potentially go. Thanks for reading and responding!

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Ideally, our PF can hit 3's and post up, and rebound, and play defense. Personally, I prefer predominately post ups (a la Hakeem or current LeBron) as our number one option over dribble drives or pick and rolls. In a perfect world, we would be a slow it down, half court team that plays great defense and have a great post up game. The thing is, someone has to improve their post game to that level. Until then, we're a run and gun team that is inconsistent with its half court defense. I prefer being a half court team because most teams that win championships excel in the half court.

3. Normalus

Normalus Member

Yeah, would be cool if D-Mo can hit .50% 3pt'ers lol. Aniway, I don't see this problem solved till summer. I think next season we should see different offense sets for current rookies.