1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones can not be a starter on a championship caliber team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, May 3, 2014.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

This.

You won't find a more accurate and succinct post in this thread.

Ultimately it's on the coach. Jones is a great kid, but he wasn't nearly ready for prime time. He has tons of work ahead of him -- especially on the defensive end. It's on the coaches to our him in positions to succeed, not fail.

What exactly did he learn at Kentucky?

Jumps at jump shooters, repeatedly fails to box out, rarely hedges, slow to rotate, nonexistent low post defense... smh, just god-awful defensive fundamentals.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i blame terrence jones for losing the series. terrence jones gosh darn it. i didnt expect better from you and you played to my exact expections.

3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

this. took him almost 3 games to adjust. rarely seen double on LA

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

All he is going to learn from those guys is how to get pushed around in the post.

He can't practice post D on them, they are far too physical - so all he will learn is that he gets pushed around on the block.
    Needs a vet PF to show him how to play post D on the 6'9 guys, and how to box out the board crashers.

He had a wonderful season for a soph, forwards tend to make the most growth between their 2nd and 3rd seasons - so there is every single reason to be highly optimistic about Jones.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Jones is learning but he to me just isnt a smart player

he wasnt the reason why the rockets lost this game of course - or even the series he was out matched but the little things like trying to box out and fighting for position he did not do. Robinson and Lopez ate him alive on the offensive glass.

Felt he tried to do too much offensively when he was in the game -- since he wasnt starting anymore felt he rushed shots to get shots up. there are 3 plays that stick out in my head tonight - the worst being in the fourth he had the ball out top and just kept it though he had Harden open for a pass with about 10 seconds on the shot clock he then drove with 4 and then got the ball stripped as the 24 expired. I felt Jones really wanted to take the shot there but wasnt sure what to do.

Oh and on the inbounds play at the end - I put this on him and the coaches. a 2 ptr ties the game and a 3 beats you -- Jones was playing the 2 but in an area where no one was there plus he was so far off Batum. Just horrible positioning there

6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

needed dmo on the inbounds play

7. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Yeah pretty much been saying this all year. We seriously need to upgrade the 4.

8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

No worries, he will be backing up DMo next season.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yep,that rebound put back in game 5 really hurt. What about the effectiveness at which he scored on postups and the team just went away from that? Typical thread. 1 rebound in the last seconds of game 1 wins that game. A non turnover by lin in game 4 wins that game. Of course,the doozy tonight was the topper. TO's, shaky ball handling,and of course not understanding the situation the coach laid out to the guys on the court.

10. leebigez

Oh really? Are you serious? Robinson had 3 minute stretch the entire 6 games that was worth a damn.

11. leebigez

Before I leave this thread,please tell me who on the rockets other than Howard looks like a championship starter? I will check back for your responses.

12. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

The same dmo that couldn't steal minutes from him all season? That dmo?

13. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Anybody else enjoyed him looking off a cutting Lin, so he can iso

Or

See him become Patterson when we need him to rebound

**** this kid

14. basketballholic

Howard and the other 3 guys can be championship starters. Howard has already been to the Finals. Remember he played spread it out ball with a defensive coach that surrounded him with 3&D. Harden is definitely good enough. Bev and Parsons are definitely good enough as 4th and 5th options on the court.

What we need is that definitive 3rd option. Parsons and Bev aren't good enough to be the 3rd offensive option and Jones and Asik are nowhere in the ball park.

Spacing is critical for our offense in half-court. When you get to the playoffs they become primarily half-court affairs. The turnovers typically go down because all the teams are good teams. So if you cannot space the floor you'd better be able to dominate the offensive glass. And if you aren't hindering the offensive spacing then you'd better be a supreme help on the defensive end. Jones was neither. Portland walked over and around him the whole series. And he caused our offense to be convoluted because he cannot shoot a jump shot from anywhere on the floor. At least with Asik on the floor we could battle them defensively and we got an edge on the offensive glass.

For this team to become a championship team we are going to have to significantly upgrade the big man rotation around Dwight. That's the single greatest factor to us winning anything.

15. coffeelover665

woah hold on there guys. All season we have been raving on Jones. Look, you can cry and b**** all you want, but jones is great. Yeah he has a bad series, but he was up against a top 5 power forward in the league! Come on, are you kidding me? He's going to get abused, just like Howard abuse Lopez. Is Lopez bad because Howard beat up on him? No! Lopez will play up to par vs any other centers. This is the same to Jones. Stop knee jerking!

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I guess the next few days it's just going to be a big blame game around here. The fact is is that TJones is one of the most promising young players in the league, and he's only going to get better.

The Portland TEAM, beat the Rockets TEAM. I don't blame any one player. Over the next 15 months Morey will continue to improve the team. Let's see what the team looks like when it's fully built.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not all of us have. Jones is a major defensive liability, he has been all season. He's also a rebounding liability because he doesn't box out. He may improve in these areas, but we aren't in a position to wait and hope. If you pay attention to the actual team performance and not the individual statistics, D-Mo out performed him in the second half, which says more about Jones than D-Mo.

Offensively even though he will make the occasional jumper, defenses don't respect it, so he doesn't space the floor. He just has too many deficiencies, and his ability to finish around the rim is not nearly valuable enough to overcome them.

We absolutely have to upgrade the position.

18. coweye

coweye Member

Nearly all of our young guys need a personal coach this offseason doing some video study and working on the court with them.

19. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Lopez might have been dominated by Howard throughout the series. However, he played with high intensity the whole series and while he was getting dominated by Howard he still played good help defense, hit the boards pretty well, and was a player that others on his team fed off his intensity. Name one thing that Jones did well in the series? I cant think of anything and to me that is the difference between Lopez and Jones.

20. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I agree with the other poster below...i think any of the other 4 players other than Jones can be starters on championship teams.

1 person likes this.