1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones can not be a starter on a championship caliber team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, May 3, 2014.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Mate, I agree with you 100%. He will be gone at the trade deadline. But have you considered a lot of posters might argue with you simply because you are obnoxious? If you kept your style to posts like the one above you would have more favor around here.

You are right, Terrence has to go. We aren't going to win with him.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

here is the defensive strategy against jones : leave him open unless he gets 3 feet from the rim, otherwise be in help ready situation at all times, id you're within 3 feet, you are already in help ready situation. You don't need to be a playoff team to do that, now i ask, what is your defensive strategy for dmo, there's a couple, they can render him completely useless, but it requires his man to be unable to help at all, and some help defense aimed his way.

#262 Aleron, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  3. OpenLayup-Why3?

I'm already past the point where I need to talk trash about Jones, because he's no rival to DMo's minutes anymore. Now I'm just sad that Jones is such a disappointment. If he had a legit game and could back DMo respectfully in the playoffs it would be nice to have first lithuanian NBA champ.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lots of sh$&ing on Jones this am which is totally predictable because of course LMA and Duncan made him look B-Grade and super small which he is in comparison.

But like always you guys are totally missing the point. What's the alternative and are you freakin dillusional to not see the disadvantage McHale has him in? I mean Brewer at the 4, Harden at the 3, and Jones at the 5. Of course he's going to look man handled.

The Rockets need to do better in general with producing a big man rotation that can either stay healthy or whatnot. If healthy, I really like this rotation, but we are not healthy and it's putting way too much pressure on Capela, Jones, and (foul every ten seconds) Harrell.

The bigger more important questions need to be more focused on the guerrilla in the room and his name starts with a D and ends with Howard. When you put 20 to 30 mil invested in a guy like him, you are stuck with options like Jones and rookies like Harrell filling in around him. I'm starting to question where we are going with this big man rotation if that guy can't stay healthy during a regular season.

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

You can't have 4 superstar caliber rotation bigs on one team. Last year we had bigs rotation of Dorsey, DMo and... I can't remember, was it Pap and Ariza playing 4 when DMo was at 5? Also we had Black for some time which helped a lot too. Now we have Capela and healthier Jones, it can't be worse than last year.

6. eman

eman Contributing Member

TJ is a case study in self-defeat. He's shown flashes of aggression and skill that have been soooo tantalizing. But against quality bigs he plays so darn small and timid. He avoids, rather than seeks, contact. Maybe the injuries have done this to him. Maybe he will be more effective in limited minutes, against the opponent's backup four. But I've given up hope he'll develop into a starting caliber four.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

To be fair, Jones is our 4th best big, 2 of them weren't playing and the other got himself in foul trouble from being in the general vicinity of spurs players.

And the Spurs are pretty unique, with their whole paying 7m for both Duncan and West, no big on the warriors outside their starting lineup bothers me. clippers too (josh smith is their backup center...), okc, well they're 1 big deep, Adams is meh, the rest suck, Memphis have Brandan Wright who is a solid bench player, and then?

And even without all those guys, it wasn't until Capela (fouls) and Lawson (back) that the Spurs even capitalized on 2 guys shooting 100% in a half.

#267 Aleron, Oct 24, 2015
  8. OpenLayup-Why3?

H. Barnes destroyed Jones as soon he got the chance. So it's not just true bigs that out muscle Jones. Terrence would be really something if he had Draymond Green's passion. Or any passion..

9. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Don't blame it on the injuries. Jones lacks confidence and mental toughness

10. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Thomas Robinson also has destroyed TJones when theyve played against each other. In fact it was a 2 minute stretch in game 6 in the Portland series 2 years ago that started this thread. TJones got absolutely abused.

11. basketballholic

To be honest Terrence is barely the 4th best big. Once Harrell gets a little more experience he'll push Terrence down further. And Harrell will likely only be a series of hits and misses with his limiters.

Remember this was pre-season so don't take the game results seriously. The Spurs are better than us right now because they really have a great big man rotation that controls the boards. We cannot match the size and skill of their big man rotation.

Terrence gets abused by skilled power bigs and he gets abused by smaller athletic stretch-4's and 3's.

They've tried to bulk Terrence up so he can battle with the giants but it has made very little difference on the interior and it has cost him some speed and hops dragging around the extra weight.

Terrence has a slow processor. It takes too long for what he sees to translate to a reaction. That's why he's always late defensively when the play is run right at him. That's why he doesn't get in proper rebounding position often enough. That's why he takes 4 seconds to unload a 3-point shot. He simply cannot read and react fast enough. And that limiter can only be improved slightly. Bulking up 25 lbs. of muscle doesn't help fix that. Being able to run fast doesn't change that. Jumping high doesn't change that.

Terrence, up until he entered the NBA, survived (in college) and thrived (in high school) on his physical gifts. His size, running speed, and athleticism got him to the NBA. But at the NBA level his size, speed, and athleticism are common place. He doesn't have extreme size (like Boban for instance) to compensate for having a slow processor. Nor does he have extreme speed (like Brewer). Nor does he have extreme athleticism/strength (like Dwight). So there's no way he's going to dominate the league with his physicality.

Next, you look at his skills. Does he have any elite skills? No, none. Does he have any skills that could be honed to elite status? No, he doesn't. Dunking the basketball is a common skill. He doesn't finish at some elite 80%. He finishes in the high 60's. That's a common finishing rate in the NBA. Look it up. And when he goes up against legit playoff front lines his finishing rate goes down the tubes. Check out his shooting numbers in the playoffs and then remember he got stuffed around 20 times.

There are two skills that posters here claim Terrence has. The first one is his finishing ability. I just dissected that for you. The second one is his handle. Tell me, what is a big man going to do with a handle when he can't shoot or rebound well and he has a slow processor? Is he going to take the ball end-to-end and finish or dish it? Oh, about twice a season if he's given enough minutes. Just enough for all his fans to jump up and down and scream "potential, potential!" to us. Yet I've seen every rotation big make the same play. Duncan, LaMarcus, West, and Diaw have all made the exact same play. They've all dribbled the ball over half-court. And 99% of the time Terrence does the same thing they do when they cross half-court. He looks around for his playmaker and gets rid of the ball. Great handle? So what. If Terrence has a great handle so does half or more of the leagues bigs.

Oh, there is one other skill posters here rave about from time to time with Terrence. They say he's a great weak side shot blocker. Hmmmmmmmmm. So he's a great weak side shot blocker when he has the advantage of the shooter not knowing he is there and he has time to see the play coming and move into position to block or change the shot. Once again, that skill is present among half or more NBA bigs.

Terrence does not have any elite NBA skills. Terrence does not have elite NBA length, strength, speed, or athleticism. Terrence does have a slow processor by NBA standards. He's just another player in the NBA. I'm sorry. It's just not there.

#271 basketballholic, Oct 24, 2015
  12. kevtse

kevtse Member

Well said. TJ is nothing special. I would rather have someone like Ryan Anderson who can really shoot. I always think that adding an elite shooter on the power foward position to spread the floor can bring us to the next level.

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

Jones in preseason:

.406 FG%
    .333 3P% (he didn't make a single 3 in 4 out of 6 games, thought attempted in all of them)
    Rebounding also inconsistently
    0,5 BLK per game

Don't tell me it's a preseason, because preseason is for players like Jones. If he thinks he's on a Harden level and don't have nothing to prove, well then, it's just another example of lack of passion.

14. mockster

mockster Member

Don't worry, jones won't be on the roster to long unless it ends up being DMO or even both. Might make a post about some info I got a little later.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The agenda crew is way too excited with yesterdays loss

16. basketballholic

Ryan Anderson has taken his game to another level this off season. He has developed that step back fading jumper off the dribble and is just murdering defenders with it. If he stays healthy he's going to have a great season and will earn that $15+ million a year deal that Zach Lowe thinks Terrence may earn. Ryan Anderson is an example of a player with an elite NBA skill that could be a starter or primary rotation player on a championship contender.

17. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Very well said. Your point about him having a slow processor hit the nail right on the head. The stretch in the 3rd quarter last night were tjones missed at the rim on the 4 consecutive possessions(including 2 free throws) was frustrating. However, the most frustrating part for me was him allowing Ginobili to back cut him to the rim....he processed the play way to slow. These plays can have a huge impact on a team(and unfortunately Harden allows them too often as well although because he gets lazy not slow processing)...layups, fouls on Dwight helping, etc.

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

This is not healthy

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am pretty sure Dekker is a muh bigger scrub than TJ. Both were 18th picks but Dekker is hot garbage

Pls ship him out ASAP

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Poor Terrence... No one else to complain about so he becomes the scapegoat.

I agree about Dekker... I did not like that pick... Mainly because he's good at most things... But not great at anything.