1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive's_gf, Jul 14, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

There's an understatement.

Kinda like how DMo isn't a very competent player without a healthy back? He shot worse from 3 pt range than your boy TJones this season and was essentially a wash compared to TJones this year.

You aren't very consistent with your player evaluation.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Laughing at you was fun for a while, but seriously, what relation is Jones to you? Cousin? Son? Uncle? Are you his agent? His agent's son?

It's gotta be something like that because you are just ridiculous.

3. dmoneybangbang

Tell me about these numbers you use to measure DMo's production? Are they different than the one you use for TJones?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was looking at his opponent FG% differential at the rim. Now answer my question, what relationship do you have to Jones, there's no way you're doing these mental gymnastics trying to defend that scrub unless you have some sort of connection. Is he your cousin or something like that? Did you go to school with him?

Just be honest.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In case you wanted to know their opponent FG% at the rim this year

DMo 47.1%

Jones 51.6%

Dwight Howard 49.7%

Clint Capela 49.3%

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course, you're probably saying "One season isn't enough", so here's some more

2014-2015

DMo 48.8%

Jones (small sample) 46.3%

Dwight Howard 45.7%

2013-2014

DMo 49.2%

Jones 51.8%

Howard 48.3%

DMo has been consistently solid at the rim, Jones looked good during that one small sample season where people thought that he became a 35% 3 point shooter but other than that, he's been crap at the rim.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, wow did Dwight Howard fall off protecting the rim this season!

8. dmoneybangbang

What about 2013-14? When TJones played the most?

9. dmoneybangbang

What about other defensive metrics? They are going to say the same. Look Bobby, you are right for the wrong reasons which is my point. You got lucky, it's okay.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I posted them, it's his worst numbers of all other than his numbers in the playoffs the 2014-2015 season where he was giving up like 61% at the rim.

2013-2014

DMo 49.2%

Jones 51.8%

Howard 48.3%

So now that I've done that, which relation are you to Jones? It's clear that you are greatly invested in this scrub player, why is that?

11. dmoneybangbang

Obviously I missed it. So post some more metrics, in fact post them all.

I want you to post all the metrics you can find. Let's really take a good look.

I am invested in making sure you know you got lucky. TJones was a the defintion of a NBA role player in 2013 and you merely got lucky he had many injuries.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL so you are still on with that? I show you that I was right the whole time and now you want to dismiss it as "getting lucky" and you fall back to blaming everything on injuries? As I posted before, you can't blame injuries for Terrence Jones' complete lack of NBA skills.

I think there's a good reason why you won't tell me what relationship you have to Terrence Jones.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Just remember Terrence:
    [​IMG]

14. dmoneybangbang

Lol. I didn't realize there was ONLY ONE defensive metric out there worth anything.... Don't cherry pick, let's look at all metrics.

It's not my fault your player evaluation seems to rely solely on one metric. Lololol.

It's not Jones I'm arguing for, I'm arguing against your silly amateur evaluations.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's plenty of defensive metrics, but most of them are pretty bad. When you look at opponent FG%, you are seeing how often they got scored on, IMO that's about as valuable a metric as you can get without paying for.

Anyway, I can see that it's pointless in continuing to argue with someone very likely related to Terrence Jones about his shortcomings. Your family loyalty will not be challenged any further. I'm fine with you thinking that it was "luck" or "magic" or whatever else that led me to point out Jones' shortcomings years ago.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jones is not a defensive player....period

but Dmo's 49.2 is not that much far away, in fact not much differential at all

17. dmoneybangbang

Lololol. So none of the other metrics take into account opposing FG%? Does your metric take into account team defense?

Let's be honest... This is the only metric you find that corroborates your story. I wonder if Morey thought Jones had no basketball skills... I highly doubt it. But I bet Morey is family of Jones too.

Your player evaluation is weak.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was his worst and it was when the "getting pushed around" narrative was accurate. Since then he's had a 48.8% and then a 47.1% so he's trending the right direction when it comes to rim defense.

Also of note, I'm not saying he's "elite" or anything like that, just that he's a plus defender at the rim meaning simply that he's good enough at it to count it as a positive.

I was just pointing this whole thing out because for a long time people would talk about Jones' ability to defend the rim and they were really only talking about how he'd sometimes come up with flashy blocks and at the same time they'd say that DMo doesn't protect the rim despite the fact that he's considerably better at it than Jones (and a lot of the league)

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway, I can see that it's pointless in continuing to argue with someone very likely related to Terrence Jones about his shortcomings. Your family loyalty will not be challenged any further. I'm fine with you thinking that it was "luck" or "magic" or whatever else that led me to point out Jones' shortcomings years ago.

20. dmoneybangbang

I know because you can not show how your player evaluation works.

Just stick to your day job, whatever it is, and let Morey stick with the player evaluations.