1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Termites

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I think I might have termites in my house. I have a baseboard in my dining room that basically disintegrated when my wife hit it a little too hard with a vacuum cleaner.

Any suggestions on a good and affordable company to use to get rid of the termites? I am in the Spring/Woodlands area.

Also, how much is this going to cost me?

Thanks.

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Invest in an anteater!!!!...

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If your baseboards are gone from termites, you have more problems than you realize. Research long and hard before you commit to some of the treatments.

4. Jackfruit

I have Terminix coming out on Saturday. Ballpark..how much money am I looking at?

5. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

To get rid of the termites usually < $1,000, however you may have issues with the house itself depending on how much damage the termites did. In an extreme case I have seen a house go down to the studs for repairs needed in the walls.

6. Jackfruit

I have Orkin coming out today and Terminix tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't break the bank.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Call El Hitman. He's looking for work and has a honey badger in his possession and they'll eat anything.

8. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pN8AbT0vCqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Both are usually expensive. A local company will be far cheaper. If the termites have already done severe damage (it doesn't take them long), than you are screwed. Insurance won't cover it, and it doesn't sound like you have a termite bond.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This brings back memories of 20 years ago at our old house. Fortunately, we were able to treat it, fix the damage without too much expense and sell the house 11 years ago. :grin:

11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Does it look like you had them anywhere else? I would think normally you'd see damage in more than one spot.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't know the cost or what to expect. All I know is when I hear Terminix or Orkin, I do not hear good things. They will try to sell you a bunch of products that you may or may not need. This is why you need to do plenty of research online. As a previous poster stated, I would inquire with local companies.

13. Jackfruit

Orkin just left a couple of hours ago. They quoted $920 with $220 a year for renewal. We'll see how the others stack up.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Forget spending money on this. I think if you get enough messages on here praying for them to go away, they will.

Done.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

$920 doesn't sound so bad depending on what kind of treatment you needed or are getting, but the $220 a year sounds kinda steep. I had em on my house about 6 years back, and think the treatment (which was pretty extensive) was more like $1300+, but renewal is more like $120 a year. It depends on what kind of termites you have, also. I would assume subterranean? Do you have a slab, and are there little trails of mud up the side of the slab?

#15 CrazyDave, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think Terminix treats inside the house. If your problem is bad, you might have to vacate your home temporarily and poison your house up. Do a lot more research than just posting here and calling those two companies.