1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terence Morris!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Man, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Hydra

Hydra Member

Morris could not shoot in college. Morris has not shot this year in the NBA. If he works on his game like people say, then I would expect to see some improvment. Terence Morris == Bruce Bowen with not as good defense.

2. haven

haven Member

A credible starter? 4th option? Most 1st round picks never aspire to those heights. I think people overestimate the potential of most young players. Just because they're young doesn't mean they're going to improve. It's just less likely when they're old ;).

Lots of college players have those #'s. And I just looooove the way you neglect to mention his field goal percentage. Why not quote all the stats next time?

3. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

Haven, you've made it readily apparent that you're not a Morris fan this year, even though you have been in the past. And of all the reasons the most prominent seems to be the fact that the Rockets overpaid in your mind. Well that's an issue to take up with the Managment not the player himself. It's Morris' fault the rockets traded a first round pick for him?

I don't think people overestimate the potential of players, but they do make the assumption that they'll make the most of that potential. Terence has the potential a great NBA player, and he may or may not reach it. But to assume he won't do so after a half a season in the NBA is lunacy. Just as saying he'll lead this team to a championship is.

As for field goal percentage I didn't see the need, since I'm talking about his junior year and they were good. I'll use those stats if you want to see them. 49.3% FG and 36.5% 3pt and 76.1% FT They aren't outstanding but by no means bad, and reasonably attainable.

There are your percentages.......

Ohh and he shot 52.3% FG, 35.1% 3pt and 69.5% his frosh year, and 55.1% FG, 35.5% 3pt, and 82.5% Ft his sophmore year.

As you've pointed out previously Haven and Hydra, he shot poorly his senior year, to a 42.3% FG, 28.9% 3pt, and 79.5% FT

He can shoot the ball, but unfortunately he hasn't been recently. Would you care to look at the whole picture or do you enjoy taking one year and trying to bury a guy because of it?

4. Hydra

Hydra Member

Obviously he can't shoot the ball. Look at the 3pt% you posted from his four years at Maryland: 35.1, 35.5, 36.5, and 28.9. Thos are not good for a player that will be spending a lot of time on the perimeter. From what I have seen and read, most of TMo's points come from around the basket. That is why during his better shooting years percentage-wise in college there is such a huge disparity between FG% and 3pt%. Cato has the best FG% on the team, but I do not want him playing more than 10 feet from the basket. In the offense that Rudy runs, whether the fans like it or not, the small forward is required to hit open jumpshots. That is why Pippen and Anderson couldn't play here. That is why Rudy got Williams and Rice. If Morris couldn't hit 40% in any of his four seasons from the college three I don't see any reason to expect that he will suddenly become a better shooter in the pros. 28.9% from the college three is horrible. That is Charles Barkley range. Now if TMo were one of the most dominant PFs of all time I could accept it from him. As he is not, I think we got royally screwed in the trade for him. I just wish that we hadn't made the trade for Damn Lanky either, that way TMo would not have cost us a first round pick.

5. Evil Beaver

Evil Beaver Member

TMo played 4 years of college basketball at Maryland. If he hasn't learned something as basic as a JUMPSHOT by now, he never will.

What is TMo good for?