1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terence Morris status

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fredterp, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Fredterp

Fredterp Member

Terence is spending a lot of time recently at the Thomas Johnson gym here in Frederick, Md. Terence has received interest from the Orlando Magic and San Antonio, Europe is also an option. Terence said he DID NOT receive an invitation to play in the summer league in LA from the Rockets! He would have gone. Orlando has discussed his availability in it's Pepsi Pro Summer League, and he could join the team later this summer. Orlando is not loaded with small forwards. FREDTERP

#1 Fredterp, Jul 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  2. goophers

goophers Member

I really don't like the way that the Rockets are playing their hand on this one. TMo is by no means the next coming but why just totally give up on a guy going into his third year? Not even giving him an invite when they offered one to the disruptive troll-doll (Maddux) :mad: He's going to become a role player on a team and this will come back to bite us in the butts.

3. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

This is for his own good. The Rockets HAVE decided not to have T. Morris in their plans. If he came to the Rocket's summer league games, he would be BEHIND Boki for the games. It's Boki's turn for the ball and that's the way the Rockets feel.

I personally liked T. Morris and I thought he has some game. But since the Rockets don't, it's best that he hook up with another team.

As for regretting this move, who knows, he was OK in most aspects of the game. He is not the sharp shooter the Rockets need at the 3. Between Posey and Boki and Rice, there are 3 small forwards on the team already. Last year, Boki was made the 4th small forward and "sat" on the bench way too much for most on this BBS. Now is his chance..... at the expense on T. Mo.

That's life.

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck, Tmo. Hated your first year, loved the second. Thought you deserved to come back.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Good riddance. He was of no use to this team.

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I still cant believe the complete and utter fascination you guys have with Terence Morris on this board. Was he that much of a Rockets icon?!?!? I mean we've had at least 10 threads in the offseason here discussing the status of TMo. :rolleyes:

Maybe I missed something last year. I thought he had a few good games, a bunch of marginal games, and several lousy games. Maybe he had a lot of friends who post here or something.

Ive never seen such sentiment for a player before in my life. I mean hell... when Walt Williams left last year nobody blinked an eye and at least Wizard could nail a 3 bomb and get hot every once in a while.

What is so valuable about his 4pts and 2 rebs that you are going to miss? Was it his leadership? Was it his passion on the court? Was it his ugly ass panther tatoo on his shoulder?

#6 Drewdog, Jul 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Terrance Morris plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. He doesn't care about stats and he's very unselfish. He's a smart player on the floor and if somehow our stars could learn from his example, our team would function much better. By releasing him the Rockets have said that they will not lose out on Posey and that there simply wasn't room for him on this team. He was allready behind Posey and Boki while we cannot pay rice 9 mill to sit on the bench. He's got skills but it just so happens that we have 3 other sf's who are more qualified.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

TMo is a career NBA bench player, who is good enough to be in the rotation for a good/great team. Nothing more or less. And he should be had for cheaps.

I have my doubts whether the same will ever be said for Boki.

Also looking at the makeup of the Rocks, they need more competent role players. TMo fits this bill, without breaking the bank.

If Posey does not resign with the Rocks, I would not be surprised if TMo comes back into the fold.

9. Drewdog

Learn from his example?!?! Dude looked like he was about to fall asleep out there. I didnt see passion. Unluess of course its a passion for bricking 3 bombs (for which his carrer average is 20% :eek: ). I want a SF who can at least drain a 3 to punish a defense for doubling on Yao or Steve.

10. Fredterp

Fredterp Member

DrewDog, your quote:

"Ive never seen such sentiment for a player before in my life."

I would speculate after reading this board for several months that Terence is one of the FEW "team players", a Red Auerbach type player. I have read on this board many times that the Rockets need TEAM players. A player who can pass and contribute in many phases of the game. You mention Terence's stats, mention his per minute stats not stats for a player with LIMITED PT. If Terence had the 3rd best overall FG percentage on the Rocket team, then the Rockets are in trouble. Terence's teammates at the forward postion had much worst overall stats fom the field. During Red Auerbach's dynasty years, he once said that the Celtics did not have the best players but knew how to play together better. Maybe, just maybe many posters like the unselfish TEAM player. Especially when he cost $ .5M!!!!!!FREDTERP

11. ptw1

ptw1 Member

Has anyone seen what Steve's reaction to this is? I know he pushed the rockets to pick him in the draft. They're friends, have that MD connection and I believe share the same agent.

12. Drewdog

Right I agree with your point about needing TEAM players. As evidenced by last years play, its obvious that we need guys who can contribute. I guess I dont see what yall see in that TMo being an intergal role player. I mean hell, some of you had him STARTING next year...... :confused:. And at least one person said he was a future all-star...... :confused:.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Talking about biting the rockets in the Butt. Terrence would be a really sweet pickup for Spurs.

14. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Bottomline is that I cannot see it being a stretch for them to have Tmo on the roster. He is good value. Thanks Fred for the update.

The league does have an ever increasing pool of talent to choose from and as a result the team must feel it can just wait around and pick up some pretty good FA's. That is the same concept/trend working for LAL where they are(seemingly) about to pick up Malone and Payton. There are other FA's out there who are not going to get the money they wanted and decide to go to an attractive place for less money, esp if they have already made a ton of money before.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's bush. The Rockets said they invited him to the summer league. Did they flat-out lie? Or, was the quote in the paper supposed to constitute his invitation?

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

TMO wouldn't get off the bench with the spurs.

17. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

The only sad thing about the TMO deal is that the ROX will eventually have to fork over a future #1 draft pick for that "Freaking Scrub!":mad:

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Terence Morris is not the bench player we need. We need veterans. He is better suited for a veteran squad. We are a very immature team, and Terence cannot help with that. TMo looks like his work ethic will keep him in the league and he could become a decent role player like a taller Shandon with less dribbling. Experience with a better team will help him, then he might become the a veteran who can impart that wisdom later on.

pfft

The Celtics had 8 Hall of Famers. They were veterans at the time of Auerbach's quote. Terence Morris is not a Red Auerbach type player in that mode. That's equivalent to saying Badiane is as athletic as Amare or Akeem, or Ebi, even, as if scouts can't tell the difference between Morris and Sam Jones or Amare vs Badiane.

Drewdog,

I think FredTerp is a TMo-Only Fan. hehe. j/k FredT.

I think the fascination is people like to predict continuous linear and exponential potential and just can't let go when they are faced with a player showing flatter slops or flat-lining like Shandon, so they keep talking about him, and adjusting their predictions.

What I no longer understand is the fascination with making predictions based on some arbitrary potential variable. I used to do that until I fell on my face with making predictions about Chievious. In scouting players, if you love to do that, you have to remove your emotions for certain types of players from the equation and scout only what you see vs past players, without predicting continuous linear growth (much less exponential).

We see too much outragious growth predictions going on here. What few scout-wannabes take into account is that players (even young players) can actually get worse as the opponents scout their tendencies, and as they play in more important game situations.

Isn't it pretty common knowledge that baseball pitchers can find a batter's weakness, and vice versa, thus cut their potential at it's knees. Some is true in every sport, especially bball where dribbling, moves and shooting tendencies can develop into league-wide memos. like the memo on Griffin that he'll just let you back him to the rim to go for the swat.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

When Mobley is traded, Steve won't have any friends left on this team.

20. SLA

SLA Member

Seems like they lied...just wanted to cover up...they like looking good and planning things and finding excuses...like with coaches.

But it doesn't matter. Terence Morris was a good player...I spent like 1 hour looking for him on a summer team roster...

Good luck to him!!!!!! He should be on an NBA team next season.