1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tensions over Palestinian evictions in East Jerusalem boil over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaBeard, May 9, 2021.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teen boppers

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no idea

on edit:
    from what I can tell, it does seem like the current evictions are legally warranted and are plausibly justified: https://www.jns.org/sheikh-jarrah-a-legal-background/

I know you said you weren't suggesting this is a reason for attacking Israel. But I'm not sure what the basis is for protesting the results of the legal proceedings. unless I'm missing something, which is quite possible.

#63 Os Trigonum, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What was the legal basis for Israel claiming Jewish ownership of those properties that were occupied by Palestinian families for nearly two decades? Does Israel permit Palestinians to claim ownership of property that their families fled during Israel's war of independence? People from both sides lost their homes after all.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

read the background. The original Jewish purchase of the land was in the 1870s with legal title given to two rabbis ("The property was registered in the Ottoman land registry as a trust under the name of rabbis Avraham Ashkenazi and Meir Auerbach"). Jordan seized the properties in the 1940s ("Custodianship of the property was transferred to the Jordanian Custodian of Enemy Properties"). In 1967 Israel established a process to evaluate original ownership claims and restore ownership when chain of title could be established ("After the Six-Day War in 1967, when Israel regained control of Jerusalem, it passed a law allowing Jews whose families were evicted by Jordanian or British authorities in the city prior to 1967 to reclaim their property, provided they could demonstrate proof of ownership and the existing residents were unable to provide such proof of purchase or legal transfer of title").

In 1982 an agreement was made about tenant status for Palestinians still residing on those properties: "In 1982, the Jewish owners (Sephardic Community Committee and the Knesset Israel Committee) sued the Palestinian families residing in Sheikh Jarrah and demanded their eviction on the basis that they were squatters on the property. The Magistrate Court determined that the Palestinian families could not demonstrate their ownership of the property, but that they enjoyed Protected Tenant Status. As protected tenants, they would be able to continue living on the property as long as they paid rent and maintained the property. This arrangement was agreed upon mutually in an agreement signed by the parties, in which the tenants recognized the trusts’ ownership in exchange for protected tenant status."

The current evictions are (reportedly) a result of tenants failing to pay rent and comply with other conditions of the 1982 agreement.

Like I said, the case for the evictions is at the very least, plausible and justifiable. I don't know enough about the deep background of this case to say more than that.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. durvasa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Jarrah

"In 1956, the Jordanian government moved 28 Palestinian families into Sheikh Jarrah who were displaced from their homes in Israeli-held Jerusalem during the 1948 War. [20] This was done in accordance with a deal reached between Jordan and UNRWA which stipulated that the refugee status of the families would be renounced in exchange for titles for ownership of the new houses after three years of residency, but the exchange did not take place."

Is Israel willing to relocate these families into their ancestral homes in Jerusalem that their ancestors fled in 1948? Or are such considerations reserved for Jewish citizens?

If it's just a matter of their ancestors not receiving or retaining the proper paper work, that doesn't make their evictions that much less unjust in my mind. Like you, I'm not well-steeped in the background of this, so I shouldn't say too much more either.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Germans: Look what we did!

dmoneybangbang and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. durvasa

I was impressed by his answer. Sad to then learn that he passed away last year.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gaza is going to get wrekt

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to build a Thunderdome right into the wall there in East Jerusalem, where Palestinians and Israelis with anger issues can meet up and work out their issues on each other, and everybody that wants to stay out of it can stay out of it.

They could fund it by televising the deathmatches internationally. Bet a deathmatch network on cable TV would rake in the viewers.

The first match could be Netanyahu vs whoever is in charge of Hamas at the moment. First rule should be if you want to talk s**t, you have to back it up with your own blood in the Thunderdome.

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Let me guess, Netanyahu was in trouble again. Now that Israel is facing evil attack, a strong leader and brave fighter rallies great Jewish people around him, forcefully defends the nation and people. International community led by US/UK steps in and somehow successfully claims credit for cease-fire. Netanyahu will calmly fend off opposition and form his government in peace.

In unrelated news, a few dozens lives were lost during the process. Let's continue to bash Biden/Trump/Russia/China.

JayGoogle, malakas and glynch like this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I cant understand how the very same people that were oppressed are perfectly fine oppressing others now.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It was such a loss that Michael Brooks died prematurely.

15. glynch

It does smack of a Wag the Dog situation.

dobro1229 likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It would seem to me the obvious thing would be for Israel to agree to have any future land disputes in those areas mitigated by a UN committee that acts as a real estate court in this situation. I’m sure all UN nations would support the creation of this no bias committee.

However this issue is both sides have extremists with a political agenda and they get their power by ratcheting up these tensions and blowing this out of proportion. I put most of the blame though on Netanyahu and his hard liners who have the far superior fire power and the US backing them and instead of looking for solutions, it’s obvious at this point Netanyahu is more interested in playing up the hard liners strong man politics. Hamas’ power only comes when there is fear of what Israel will do. Both sides then ratchet up the fear and tensions. It’s ridiculous and it’s less about religious legacy there now and more about political power.

peleincubus likes this.
  17. glynch

Miko Peled the son of one of the founding European Jewish generals of Israel who also has on one side of his family the traditional Jews who lived there for generations before the European colonialism project of Zionism.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Brooks was extremely smart. He would have likely gone on to do some great things in the coming years.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doubt the newbs know this

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The UN are completely biased anti-Israel. It's absurd.