1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tensions over Palestinian evictions in East Jerusalem boil over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaBeard, May 9, 2021.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a very interesting read. Thanks. I thought it was worth pointing out, however, that the link erroneously describes the column as an article. It's an opinion piece, but the confusion in the link is on the WSJ, not you.

jiggyfly and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

yea, its interesting that all these different countries have massive soft power teams. From social media, message boards, to tv, to even college recruiting to essentially push the narrative and its gotten quite extensive.

"IT doesnt matter if justice is on your side. You have to depict your position as Just" Benjamin Netanyahu

If you got a lot of time, one guy goes undercover into the training of the intricate network for college campuses to control the narrative, protest so on. They are pretty sophisticated and impressive

Before anyone says this is something strictly against them or anti simetic, don't worry. Saudis do it too, have taken about the same plan

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...lman-khashoggi-public-relations-a9129386.html

You know how most presidents are quick to call out Iran for abusing democracy, hurting and oppressing its own citizens and barbaric ways, yet no one will touch saudi when they are in power? How somehow all our presidents from Bush, Obama, to Trump didn't alloow the 9/11 lawsuits and commissions to be transparent and make Saudi fully liable almost constantly making excuses as Saudi did terrible things including an unjust war with hardly a head shake while we may warn of war to another country.

OK ok...now I'm biased against the muslims? Ok India is doing it toohttps://foreignpolicy.com/2021/05/03/india-vishwaguru-modi-second-wave-soft-power-self-sufficiency/

they have significant ties and lobbying efforts with our very own representatives and government. Its an odd thing even teh "america first" people didn't mind that we send so much money to our allies here when we dont in europe or that we give Saudi troops while we took them away everywhere else on campaign promises.

Basically, its muddy water, and they are all good at this. It helps to bring in billions of muslims and millions of jews who have nothing to do with this, might feel strongly but aren't related to this matter, but lets face it. none of them are a monolith. If you are a irish american, you dont soley believe what happens in ireland is correct or if you're catholic the vatican's way of life might not be exactly how you live. This is a matter of International laws, Human rights, Security and they its very easy to deflect that

#222 DonatelloLimestone, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
  3. DonatelloLimestone

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...report-helps-israelis-hide-facts-9630765.html

this and the documentary the occupation of american mind talks about how much is focused on the PR side(There is a an extensive version down to a 21 minute less than any tv show episode for those in a rush) Fascinating stuff, they aren't the same ones using this. India doing similar things Likewise we are selling arms while Saudi Creates a catostrophe also leaving children and women in dire positions with no disregard claiming they are trying bring peace from terrorism. China doing the same, it works.

So interesting how they broke the ceasefire on nov 4th, obamas election. They were on page 8 in NYT. Then as Palestine responded back, Israel already dominated the shows and had guest all over and controlled the narrative. The documentary covers it. It doesnt indict or resolve anyperson, but it does give insight of how intricate the PR of this and howm uch its important to make sure it has americans support enough to tolerate it so our Government continues to allow it. Some time stamps:

The above show its left, right, Fox, Cnn, all sides kind of regurgitating essentially one side information

#223 DonatelloLimestone, May 17, 2021
  4. DonatelloLimestone

And Finally some will notice this is a bipartiasan issue, with the polarized nature of politics. Our politicians generally both on the left or right from Trump to Pelosi, Hilary and Obama to Bush stand in line and here talks about the integration with Aipac and the access. Keep in mind, Saudi is now breahching this sort of reach as well

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Most people in Israel don't. They live a pretty secular life. Actually, I am quite sure that a large percentage of the population in some other Middle Eastern countries just want to live a quiet, peaceful life, and not put religion above all. But they are getting brainwashed with it.

LosPollosHermanos and tinman like this.
  6. DonatelloLimestone

I Think religion is the narrative, but it doesn't all quite go as smoothly.
    here is a timestamp about the Christian Palestinians who suffer some of the same blind restrictions of total control

Just don't tell that to these people:

@tinman, you wouldn't be charmed by the man in the blue suit at 32:00 minutes;)

Divide into tribes and conquer(history rhymes)
    21ers.

7. DonatelloLimestone

@tinman
    Further dive on that this isn't a religion issue. This was back in 2018 when Saudi was making deals with Israel and all of a sudden Palestine was wearing thin on them...why? Because Saudi and Israel found common ground, they both hated Iran

"Prince Salman also told the US Jewish leaders that “the Palestinian issue is not at the top of the Saudi government’s agenda” and elaborated, “There are much more urgent and more important issues to deal with — such as Iran,”"
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sau...inians-to-shut-up-and-stop-complaining-2018-4

https://www.timesofisrael.com/pales...t-up-saudi-crown-prince-said-to-tell-us-jews/

Nevermind that IRan/Saudi are both 'muslim' countries. It simply is about power. People will gon about Sunni/Shia, but the debate has never even been about an theology or religion, just simply power. MBS has no religion credentials, but now he is a stewart of the holiest site and all that stuff. None of these people are religious to anything but themselves, but the religion is a great way to cast a net to make people feel like they are fighting for something else. So this is how somhow MBs is the only man for the job or Netanyahu is as well and they are doing the good fight for their devoutness and loyalty, yet you don't have to look too far to see otherwise. It seems most of the worl'ds religions books talk about respecting life, peace, letting god by the judge, more things about self improvement and trying to live self righteously, yet these 'defenders' of the faith live just like some of these tevangelical ministers in their own private jets, out of touch, spewing whatever they can to seem Godly.

#227 DonatelloLimestone, May 17, 2021
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I get that sense too from the little bit of time spent in the Middle East earlier in my career. I worked in Dubai for some time and that city sort of gives you a glimpse of how most want to live their lives in the Arab world and also how the hard line religion creates unnecessary rules that everyone breaks anyways. Drinking especially which is stupid there. Everyone drinks and there are bars, but you have to go through all these hoops and it’s stupid expensive because of that.

That’s just one example. When I visited Tel Aviv it felt far from the Middle East. Not as fancy as Dubai but without virtually any restrictions. Very Americanized. I can imagine many Israelis live in a little bit of a bubble and just live their lives.

We talk a lot about Democracy here as the “shining city on a hill” but really Israel existing for some time in the Middle East the way they have really is a bigger accomplishment of Democracy imo, and infuriating to see a criminal like Netanyahu grasping for autocratic power there. We talked about the dangers of Trump for 4 years but Netanyahu is a far more consequential figure on the global scene. Hopefully he proves me wrong over the next few months.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Having met people from both Israel and Palestinians including American Jews who have lived in Israel the impression I get is most people don't want to be fighting. What continues to drive this conflict is mutual fear stoked by radicals. As much as there are Palestinian groups who want to see Israel destroyed there are extremist groups in Israel that also believe that all land from the Jordan river to the sea is Israel and that Palestinians should be driven out. These groups aren't fringe and because of Israeli politics actually play an important role in Israel's government.

The conflict between these extremists and the fear of the others extremists is largely what is driving the conflict.

Yithzak Rabin talked about "the peace of the brave" that to make peace would mean not giving in to fear and not letting extremists dictate the relationship between Israelis and Palestinians. For that he was assasinated by a Jewish extremists. Yassir Arafat was too weak and corrupt to restrain his the extremists on his side. Since then neither side has been much interested in the Peace of the Brave..

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have been to Tel Aviv a couple of times and to Dubai countless times. I love Tel Aviv. Dubai is a bit "fake", but I could still easily spend tons of time there. Actually planning to visit both next spring on the same trip.

I think a lot of the people who demonize Israel here should visit Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Seeing things first hand and getting to know people really changes your perspective.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I love the phrasing of enforcing 50 year old eviction orders. Seems like the article was made in bad faith if that is what their premise is banking on.

I'm sure Native Americans would love to use the courts to evict white Americans from property now owned and lived in for multiple generations. I'm sure the WSJ opinion column would write a good article about how Native Americans deserve to evict American citizens.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The answers from the US State department spokesperson shows the status quo nature of the situation that Israel is our daddy. He couldn't even answer if Palestinians have a right to self defense when he so readily said that about Israel.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the D&D,

you have dumb east coast spammers saying nobody is moving to Texas , yet you have an In-and-out burger in Katy.
    Then 50 left New York

It's always better to see stuff yourself

like you know, you don't want Vegans making Fried Chicken reviews

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's very evident that you want to believe this.

even if Hamas was in that building how do you jump to the fact that they were influencing the AP.

Do you think all Hamas looks like this?
    [​IMG]

Do you think there is an endless supply of of office buildings in Gaza?

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I predict this conflict will never end until world changing event happens . World war or aliens.

This is going to pop up every few years and the results will be the same.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly technically true, but the conflict from the Israeli side is totally driven by the need for politicians to cater to the ultra-religious.

Religion is absolutely squarely behind the wheel in Israeli politics.

jiggyfly, Zboy, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait are we the baddies?

jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.