1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tennis] Wimbledon 2012.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by gah, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Disappointing end to Wimbledon for Roddick. It yet again hammers home the point that we've known to be true for quite some time now. His serve can't carry him through matches like it used to and his more defensive style just isn't going to work against the elite, or guys like Ferrer who don't beat themselves.

There was a time when Roddick would blow away inferior opponents and put a scare into any of the top-ranked players even as recently as two years ago. But now, he can lose to anyone on any given day and he has to play a near-perfect match to beat anyone inside the top 20 or so.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I also couldn't help but notice that Roddick lingered a bit as he was leaving the court. It appeared that he was overcome by emotion as the Wimbledon crowd gave him a nice ovation.

I doubt that Roddick will walk away from the game at the end of this year, as he is a pretty stubborn guy. It's also not like his ranking is over 100 and he is using up wild cards to get entries into Grand Slam events (I'm looking at you, Lleyton Hewitt). But I think he's realizing that there is a chance that he doesn't play here again.

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Sam Querrey and Marin Cilic are locked in a fifth-set battle right now. They are on serve with the fifth set tied 13-13. This match really gives you an idea of how ridiculous that Isner-Mahut match from a few years back really was. If feels like Querrey and Cilic have been out there forever and they are not even a fifth of the way to where Isner and Mahut got.

This one is not going to go that long, but I will say that it has some of the same characteristics. The points are really, really short. Neither player is moving very well at this point. This is exacerbated by the fact that these two are big servers who are vulnerable when they have to move. Darkness is also becoming a concern. Tom Rinaldi, sitting courtside, said that there might be 30 minutes of good lighting left.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Cilic wins the fifth set 17-15 to take the match. Querrey looked better in this tournament than he has probably since he looked so good back in late-2010ish, when his ranking was in the teens. But it's still disappointing to see him lose a match that he had a real chance to win.

In many ways, Querrey is a lot like Isner to me. Both have big serves and forehands, but neither moves all that well and neither has much of a defensive game. I think the only thing that has pushed Isner so far ahead of Querrey is health. Sam has been injured basically since the Australian Open in 2011 and Isner has been remarkably healthy, particularly when you consider his size and how often tennis players get hurt.

Both guys have the ability to be consistently ranked in the top 15, but until they develop more well-rounded games, I don't think either of them have a real shot at being the next American to win a Grand Slam.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That Cilic/Querry match was insane. Both guys looked like they had chances to break, and then didn't. It was well played and incredibly even. That was amazing, their height was the same, coming back from injuries the same, and playing pretty evenly here.

I like both guys, but was pulling for Querry.

7. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The Baghdatis/Murray match is about to be suspended due to Wimbledon's 11PM curfew and that's a real shame. It has been a fun match.

Baghdatis just needs to get to the break as best he can. He let the third set slip away when he got kinda loose with some shots late in the set and Murray has thus far taken it to him in the fourth set. If it weren't for the curfew, I think Murray would have little trouble polishing this off in four sets. But with the suspension, there's no telling what will happen when these two come back out on Monday. Both guys are known as streaky players and Murray is a noted headcase.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Murray gets a break to go up 5-1 in the fourth. It's 11:00, but the officials are allowing the match to continue. Baghdatis looks upset about it, as the grounds have been advertising that play will stop dead at 11, but to his credit, he didn't say anything.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Great match today between Ferrer and Murray. Andy has a great shot of making it to the finals. Would love to see him finally break through and win this thing, but I think it will be very difficult for anyone to challenge Novak.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

this federer v djoker game being played is epic

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes! Watching it as well. I really want Roger to win Wimbledon this year. One of my favorite players ever.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Fed gets the early break in the 4th set up 2-1. Come on Roger...

13. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This is the best I've seen Fed play since 2009. There is no one on earth who can beat him when his serve is that sharp.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I still don't understand why #1 and #3 seeds are in the same half of the draw. Generally, if the 4 top seeded players make it, 1 should play 4 and 2 should play 3.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yeah it's dumb. This semi was the de facto final ever since Nadal got out.

17. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Federer is now ranked #1

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He has to win the finals first.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

don't know about that. i'm rooting for fed, but if murray gets past tsonga, he is going to have some serious juice in the finals with the entire crowd on his side. and he's been playing great anyway.

20. Prince

Prince Member

Federer delivered....