1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tennis] Wimbledon 2012.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by gah, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gah

gah Member

Who's your pick? I think Wimbledon is where Djokovic and Nadal are battling on more leveled ground, this tournament has the potential of giving us the best finals that these two have yet fought, I want to say it is a toss but I have to admit that Rafa is still the underdog. I also hope Federer doesn't continue to fade as he did last year and as he did in Paris this year, after all he is still the grass king of this generation.

BTW, Morey is struggling a bit as I speak. ;)

2. Prince

Prince Member

Fast surface? it's the joker.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

:confused: Where's does that idea come from?

4. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Rafa in trouble

5. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Upset of the decade about to place before our eyes, and everybody is focused on soccer

smh..

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

WOOOW, 3 aces in the final game to beat Nadal.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

GO ITALY!

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That was tremendous. Can only increase the odds for Fed.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wow @ Nadal losing, how were the betting odds?

10. gah

gah Member

Yep, Nadal had me spoiled, those upsets used to be more common before him and the other usual suspects. In the other hand, because Nadal was in the losing end, the football match was much more exciting for me, even though I was rooting for Germany.

Now the only thing that can save the day would be the Rockets making a big move in the draft, I can't go 0-3 today, can I?

The fact that Rafa is the best in clay, hates hardcourt and grass is his second best surface.

Don't know what to say, Nadal was flat and the interruption took the momentum away from him -not that it's a valid excuse. The only person more stunned than him is Rosol. Watching his post-match interview the guy could send Lou Reed and all krocodile users out for a walk, nobody on earth can have more excitement going through his mind than him today, and it was totally deserved, hope he goes deep in the tournament.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is the one thing that make Fed goat. In his prime he was going to be in the SF and Most likely finals. He never got upset. Heck even now he makes it to the SF pretty consistently.

12. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Federer is a perfect player like MJ,Ruth Gretzky, Pele and the greats before him

If Fed has a weakness, and I dont consider it a major weakness( but his return of serve was always the best), and his movement has slowed down( but thats too expected with age)

That QF record he has, will never be touched

13. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Rosol was getting anywhere between 40/1 to 75/1 odds for this match.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I was so impressed by Rosol, particularly when he was trying to close out that match.

We've seen Nadal on the ropes a few times before, but it always ended the same way. The underdog would tighten up under pressure and start playing conservatively and Nadal would sense the opportunity, loosen up and start playing like the champion he is.

Rosol, on the other hand, just kept coming that last service game was about as dominating as you can get.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rosol was a monster. He went for winner after winner. It was amazing to see someone do that against Nadal have so much success with it. It's crazy.

A tremendous upset.

Out of the top 3, I hope Djokovic wins. I always do. He's probably the best returner the game has ever seen, and has done a great deal to get from where he was to where he is now.

My overall hope would be for Baghdatis to win everything. He's my favorite player. It's always fun to watch him. He tries hard, doesn't take it too seriously, and is funny. Very entertaining to see him play.

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I love Baghdatis as well. He always goes down with a fight, even when he is just overmatched, and he's one of the good guys in tennis. In his biography, Agassi spoke very highly of Baghdatis.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Roddick shocks the world........

Nah, still will be Djokovic's to lose....and Sharapova on the women's side.

However, for the UK, I would love it if Murray finally broke through.

DD

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Federer overcame a two-set deficit against Julien Benneteau, and Julien could have finished another big upset, in the fourth set he only needed 2 more points, but couldnt do it.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Federer's match against Benneteau showed why he has been so good for so long. His physical gifts are great, there's no doubt, but he's so mentally tough. He fought hard to get back into the match and by the time the fifth set began, Benneteau was done because Fed had taken the wind right out of his sails.

As I type, Roddick is in a battle with David Ferrer. Andy had everything going in the first set and took it 6-2. The second set was a typical set against Ferrer. Lots of long points, not a lot of winners and eventually it went to a tiebreaker, which Ferrer won. The third set is on serve and has looked a lot like the second set.

The story of American qualifier Brian Baker is such a good one. This was a guy that was more or less out of the game after a string of injuries. He was teaching tennis as a career. He decides to get some match play in the clay court season, has some success and even wins a match at the French. Now, he's through to the round of 16 at Wimbledon and has a great shot at making the quarters, as the draw broke in his favor. He will be taking on Phillip Kohlschreiber, rather than Rafael Nadal, who most would have figured would be in that slot.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That Federer match was crazy. Benneteau hurting his wrist again, and then the potential cramping really hurt him.

Federer being in better shape really pulled him through, even though for just about 4 sets he didn't seem into it. It was almost like he was asleep. Which is not to take anything away from Benneteau's game, because it was a good one. I was pulling for Benneteau, not because I dislike Federer, but I was going for the underdog.

Watching Roddick's match right now. I would love for the ball to cram right down Roddick's throat and take him out. But then Roddick wouldn't retire from Tennis and still play the US Open. But then at the US Open in the first round, the ball would cram down his throat again, and he'd be forced to drop out of that match. The pattern would repeat for the next four Slam events, until Roddick finally had to retire from tennis with the tennis ball pattern permanently imprinted on the inside of his cheek where the ball repeatedly hit him over and over.