1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Tennis] US OPEN Final- Nikshikori vs Cilic

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Mr. Brightside, Sep 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Who you got?

Nishikori has had an amazing run and he's the favorite.

Chang vs Ivanisevic - who's the better coach?

2. cebu

cebu Member

Kei will prevail..

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Nishikori

4. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

LOL, get dominated.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Damn bruh. Nishikori got steamrolled in less than 2 hours.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Brutal. Cilic just steamrolled everyone in this tournament.

7. downbytheriver

It's yet to be seen if Cilic is a one hit wonder like del Potro or he can remain consistent. Also questions over his doping ban.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cilic played a hell of a match. Kei seemed pretty tired from having to play so much in order to make it to the finals. But with Cilic playing the way did against Federer and in the final, I don't think anyone would beat him.

It was cool to see two new guys get a shot at the title.

9. dragician

dragician Member

10. Amir's Johnson

Does anyone know the rankings after the US Open? I hope Fed is number 2!

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

So glad to finally see some breakthroughs in men's tennis this year. Trust me when I say that I can appreciate the greatness and consistency of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and even Murray to an extent, but the majors had just gotten so monotonous.

I'm sure CBS wasn't thrilled with the final matchup they got (particularly since it was their last year with coverage rights) and the hardcore fans of the big names were disappointed their guy wasn't in it, but I found it refreshing.

I'm really excited to see what 2015 brings. Federer's chances to win another major certainly aren't getting any better, Nadal is no sure thing outside of the French, Djokovic's 2011 is feeling more like the exception rather than the new rule the further away it gets, and the jury is still very much out on whether or not Murray will ever be anywhere as great as the other three.

Combine that with a group of younger players that are pushing the big four more and more (and earlier and earlier in major tournaments), and you have an equation for a fun season.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

He's third.

1. Djokovic
    2. Nadal
    3. Federer

Full rankings here.

13. downbytheriver

What do you think is wrong with nova k's game? he seems to really have gotten weaker with his stroke play. unfortunately i haven't had time to watch outside of flushing meadows

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Honestly, a lot of it seems to be mental, which is the primary reason why I see his incredible 2011 season as an anomaly rather than the expectation for him moving forward.

If you remember, prior to that 2011 season, he was seen as a fantastically talented player with an unfortunate habit of going on mental walkabout during matches. Then, in 2011, he seemed to turn a corner and his new-found mental toughness was the talk of the tennis world. But since then, he's been closer to the old version of himself. As noted by Courtney Nguyen of SI, he didn't seem to have any real game plan going into his semifinal against Nishikori.

In that match, it was also telling that a turning point was that atrocious tiebreaker he played. We're so used to Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic getting their backs up against the wall and then finishing strong when it matters most. Take Fed's great escape against Monfils, for example. That's a big part of that has made them great. But in what was the biggest moment of that match to that point, he just looked...flat.