1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Tennis equipment

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HAYJON02, Aug 4, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I used to think I was pretty good at tennis then I went and got ranked and was only a 4.5 out of 10.

I guess a 10 is like Nadal or Fed.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

USTA/NTRP tennis ranking is not on a 10 point scale.
    http://www.1stserve.com/ntrp.asp

if you are ranked at a 4.5 USTA ranking, you are pretty good at the competitive level.

most players are between 3.0 and 4.5

Nadal or Fed play at a 7.0 level or above

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm moving to Austin in a few weeks so I'm definitely going to look into it. I'm just worried that everyone out there is going to kick my ass. Even when I played fairly regularly, I could hit ok but my serve is comparable to something you'd see on a Jr. High court. Now that I'm older and slower it's probably going to be even worse!

5. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'm no coach so help me out here anybody, but I tell my girlfriend that a lot of the swing should just be your upper torso rotating. Not that that's the only part, but when I'm shanking the ball a lot I try to get better torque from my shoulders and less from my arm movement.

On the backhand side, if you're like most people who use a two-hander, and are right handed, you should keep in mind that it's your left hand that really controls and drives the swing. Its analogous to a basketball shot how the weak hand just steadies the racquet while the dominant hand actually supplies most of the power.

The main struggle she has keeping up in the longer rallies is her footwork. She doesn't always turn sideways so shes hitting some shots completely open. Also watching pro tennis she thinks the swing has to be continuous and done all at the last second in a blur. I tell her its more important to get your racquet back which also gets your body sideways and ready to move to the ball. I'm starting to hear short choppy steps in her approach which is a good sign, but also I feel like shes getting a better feel for what angles to take to get off a clean shot.

It seems like one day it'll be fun to teach my kids, if I decide to have some/oops.

6. SunsRocketsfan

a cute girl in a mini tennis skirt is always hot..

7. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

www.fuzzyyellowballs.com