1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tennis] Australian Open

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by theogcasey, Jan 27, 2009.

1. theogcasey

theogcasey Member

I didn't see a thread for this already. Please lock if I over looked it.

Has anyone been keeping up with the Aussie Open so far? The Roddick/Djokovic match that just ended was pretty entertaining. I can't believe I'm actually saying this since Roddick has been so inconsistent/irrelevant over the past few years but he actually has a good shot to take it all. I see Roddick/Federer in the semi-finals and a Roddick/Nadal showdown for the title since Fed has been struggling over the past year.

What do you guys think?

2. BigM

BigM Member

i don't like roddick but i like djokovic less so i enjoyed watching him tap out.

props to andy for building up the endurance to not even be phased by that amount of heat but he was killing an already wounded animal.

i think federer wins this next match then stomps roddick in the semis. i think he'll lose to nadal but i'd like to see federer get another one.

3. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Member

We're gearing up for 4 straight days of temps above 40c+...going to be really interesting to see who can handle it.

I'd love to see Federer win it all.

4. BigM

BigM Member

when is this federer match supposed to be on... espn has tennis mens and womens quarterfinals from 2:30 to 5:00 but they're only showing this woman's match which i'm not too interested in.

5. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Since I live in Australia

Hell YEAH..Wanted to start a thread on this but i kept forgetting

WHo i want to win:
    Tsonggaa, Roddick

Who I think will win
    Federer, Nadal

6. Gakatron

Gakatron Member

I can't stand Djokovic, don't like Roddick much either as they both come across rather arrogant. I enjoyed Novak the p***y retiring though... he has a history of it too apparently. If he couldn't handle it today he wouldn't of lasted.. only getting hotter the next few days in Melbourne. The week I came back to work too :| sucks.

7. Juliann

Juliann Member

I really hope Roddick wins it all, he has played well throughout the tournament and has gone virtually unnoticed. Anyone but Nadal would be good though.

8. 3814

3814 Member

I don't care for Djokovic either...but the court temperatures were 140 degrees. Props to Roddick for outplaying him...but seriously, let's see YOU handle that heat for 2.5 hours while playing tennis.

9. Gakatron

Gakatron Member

I'm not a professional tennis player. Roddick managed it, so did everyone else playing today(as far as I know)

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

140 degrees? 40 Celsius is 104 Fahrenheit, unless there's something I don't know about an increase in temperature when playing on a court. 140 sounds a bit high.

11. dockerland

dockerland Member

The Australian open here in Australia has been all about the comeback of Jelena Dokic. Such an amazing story.

Has just broken back in the third :D

No one will come close to Nadal, just seems to be cruising at his own pace.

12. Gakatron

Gakatron Member

watching it while I surf the net... each of them looks like they can't handle the pressure when they serve... its very nerve racking

13. dockerland

dockerland Member

Dokic cracked. The fairytale was always going to come to an end

14. Gakatron

Gakatron Member

they both choked bad in that match.... Dokic just choked more :(

15. worzel gummidge

is dokic pregnant or does she just have a massive pot belly?

16. thech0senone

thech0senone Member

Wow Federer absolutely steamrolled Del Potro. Looks like its back to the Big 2 and Murray and Djokovic might not be ready to be included with Nadal and Federer. It would be nice to see Roddick win another Grand Slam but I think there is no way he gets past Federer.

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Member

Was Del Potro playing bad or was Federer just killing everything? I DVR'ed it but haven't watched it yet. It doesn't look like it's going to be worth it unless it was Federer having one of those days.

18. thech0senone

thech0senone Member

Federer was awesome, looked like his old self. The first set was competitive but when Federer broke him a second time in the second set, it looked like Del Potro kind of mailed it in after that. No way should he be getting double bagled like that.

19. theogcasey

theogcasey Member

Federer played a beastly match today from what I saw on SportsCenter. He and the new Roddick will have an epic head to head. I can't wait.

20. 3814

3814 Member

Sorry - I should have provided my source:
    http://tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=264756&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

"In the Djokovic-Roddick affair, Roddick was ahead when Djokovic approached the American to let him know that he was calling it quits, this after the pair dueled for 2 1/2 hours on a court where temperatures reached in excess of 140 degrees."