1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tennis] Australian Open 2011

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Prince, Jan 18, 2011.

?

Who's your favorte tennis analyst?

1. Patrick McEnroe

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. John McEnroe

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Brad Gilbert

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Darren Cahill

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. None

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Prince

Prince Member

Tour has started folks.

I'm including a poll.

Vamos RAfa!!!!!

2. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

I'd like to see someone else win this major. I'm personally a Federer fan. Rafa still has time to get his "Rafa Slam", and I would like Federer to show that he still has it (hopefully) and win this major and maybe Wimbledon.

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

These girls are grunting like crazy. It's quite comical.

4. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I have never seen this happen in a tennis match before.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh5oENt5hNc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh5oENt5hNc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Anyone having problems getting remote access on Espn3 working? I'm at home and I've tried 3 different browsers to sign into Espn3 and enable remote access. Each browser just pops up a small blank window with nothing in it when I hit remote access.

6. Prince

Prince Member

that was funny but not hot ;)

7. Eric Riley

Caroline Wozniacki is hot

[​IMG]

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

To answer the question, I like Pat McEnroe best. I don't like how he has some sour grapes with some American players like Donald Young and to some extent Andy Roddick, but in general, I like his commentary.

As far as the tournament goes, there has been a lot of chalk in both the men's and women's draw. Rafa is in top form and Federer has been playing well although he looks more beatable than Rafa.

It's another tough tournament for Americans as only Isner and Roddick remain in the men's draw and the women's draw is now void of Americans.

9. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But, Pat is spot on in his criticism of Roddick's game. He doesn't attack with his forehand, he plays behind the baseline too much, and that damn slice backhand will be the death of him. If Andy went back to the attacking style he played when he was young, hitting big serves then following it up with big forehands, he would be fine. His backhand and net game have improved to the point where he'd be very dangerous if he just went back to hitting his serve and forehand with gusto like the good old days.

10. diamondview

diamondview Member

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Big day 6 at the Aussie Open. #152 Milos Raonic beats #10 Mikhail Youzhny, an unranked Ukrainian named Dolgopolov, and the Australian wunderkin Bernard Tomic pushed Nadal only to lose in straight sets.

From an American standpoint, John Isner lost a five set marathon to Marin Cilic. It looks eerily similar to pretty much every other major match Isner has lost. His opponent couldn't break his serve, he couldn't break his opponent's serve, and he ends up losing when he makes a couple of unforced errors. Those are matches Isner is going to have to start winning if he is ever going to rise above his current status of "dangerous player who is a tough out for the top players."

Roddick goes tonight against Stanislas Wawrinka, a player he has good success against. That bodes well for Roddick, but what doesn't bode well is that Wawrinka has been playing his best tennis this week. Should be a good match.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

That should read that the Ukrainian Dolgopolov beat top 15 player Jo-Wilifried Tsonga. My bad.

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Welp. Americans are now completely out. Roddick's match last night against Wawrinka was a complete bloodbath, losing in straight sets.

Cahill and Pat McEnroe rightfully lit into him after the match. Roddick continually refuses to change the way he plays, even in a situation like he was in last night when it was painfully obvious that what he was doing was not working.

McEnroe has an interesting point about Roddick, saying that Roddick is somewhat content to stay ranked in the 6-10 range and make it to the fourth or fifth round of majors playing the way he does. His contention is that Roddick would rather stay where he is and change nothing instead of raking a risk and changing the way he plays because even though he might be more successful in majors, he is afraid of running the risk of losing in the earlier rounds thanks to more aggressive play.

Interesting topic of conversation. Unfortunately, Cahill and McEnroe are right. Roddick is not going to ever be a factor in a major again playing the way that he is right now.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Someone needs to explain to Roddick that he plays men's professional tennis and you can't continually hit a backhand slice and hope to win. The women can get away with it to a point, but the men just crush it.

15. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Anyone up watching the Australian Open? The Rafa Slam is in serious trouble, he is down 2 sets against Ferrer at the moment.

16. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

poor dude. who knows when someone will have the same chance again

17. Eric Riley

Yeah that was painful to watch. Feel bad for the guy. Semifinals on both women's and men's sides will be interesting and fun to watch. It's all up for grabs.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Nadal, dealing with some leg injury, went down yesterday to David Ferrer. He'll take on Andy Murray in the semifinals.

Speaking of Murray, the draw really broke nicely for him. In the round of 16, he took on an overrated Jurgen Melzer. He missed Robin Soderling in the quarters and got the unranked Alexandr Dolgopolov instead. Now, he'll face Ferrer in the semis rather than Nadal.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Djokovic dominated Murray in the final to win his second Aussie Open and second major title overall. The Djoker was easily the most solid player all tournament long. He only dropped one set and it was in a tiebreaker in his second round match against Dodig.

This result is somewhat being framed as a matchup of two players kind of at different points of their careers.

Djokovic has righted the ship after looking absolutely adrift going into last year's US Open and now looks poised to break up the Nadal/Federer monopoly even more so than he already has.

Murray, on the other hand, is 0-for-6 in sets at Aussie Open finals the last two years and the questions about whether or not he can ever win a major will only get louder from here.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm watching it right now, even though I already saw the results.