1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ten reasons why rebuilding won't be as awful as it sounds.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Yao is finished as an everyday player. An Asian Bill Walton. Make no mistake, he is a class act, consummate professional, extremely hard worker, outstanding player with a hard earned skill set that rivals any player in the league, all of that is true, but he can't stay healthy, and never will.

It's a pity because Yao represents everything a professional athlete should be, but it's time to suck it up and move on, and here are ten reasons why I think rebuilding will be fairly quick and painless.

Time to rebuild, and we have ten (11) things on our side.

1. Tracy's contract is expiring.
    2. 2010 free agent bonanza.
    3. Houston is well regarded among NBA players.
    4. Yao's contract has only two years left.
    5. Shane's contract has only two years left.
    6. Brooks is young.
    7. Von Wafer is young (if he re-signs).
    8. Landry is young.
    9. 2010 NBA draft is reportedly loaded with talent.
    10. We have Daryl Morey.
    11. We have an owner willing to buy draft picks!

Hopefully, this cheers everyone up a bit. Got to stay positive folks!

:)

1 person likes this.
  2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

You started this way to early.:(

I just don't want to believe the horrible news :mad:

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

So otherwise you started drinking the minute you read the yahoo article and finished the bottle after eh Raven?

We have a lot of things going for us sure....

But this is bad, real bad.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Weird as hell to basically see "yay get excited Yao, Battier, and McGrady will be expiring how awesome"

weird

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Hey Raven - good points in a very tough time. If Yao's gone forever that would be just awful. :( But we aren't fans just b/c Yao (at least I'm not), so we will bounce back at some point! :)

6. Raven

Raven Member

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the writing on the wall. This thread is my attempt to put things in perspective, that it's not as bad as it sounds, and that we should expect to be right back in the thick of things by season after next, or the one after that.

All of my reasons are factually correct, by the way, and there are plenty of teams that would kill to be in our position, with our owner, our gm, and our young players.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We should try to package a signed artest and battier to a team for their 1st and some prospects.

Maybe Portland

artest
    battier
    for
    fernandez
    Batum
    bayless
    1st

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

good points. we have proven we are at least a playoff team even without Yao. rebuilding should only take 2-3 years until we're contenders again. hell we're even contenders without Yao i think. Just need a rebounder and we're good to go.

9. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

What i've been wondering is how come we havent heard Yao talk about this whether its from a chinese article or one from here. All we can go by is reports by the third person.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

without Yao and tracy, our team is practically gutted.

There is nothing rosy about being rebooted into the beginning of the Francis/Mobley era wiithout having Francis and Mobley.

11. rageatari34

rageatari34 Member

if we're really looking to rebuild and get some help from a contender, we should (and it sickens me to write this) see what Utah might want in exchange for the Knicks unprotected 1st rounder in 2010 that Utah owns and maybe someone like Brewer.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In retrospect, the without Francis and Mobley part probably does make it somewhat rosy. Call me a hater, but it wasn't just that they lost back then, it was how they played and lost that was so painful.

Who's reporting that? I've seen some mocks...doesn't look amazing or anything?

13. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

It's going to take at least 4 to 5 plus years to rebuild back to being a contender...

Are we willing to wait that long or do we not have a choice??? :(

14. Raven

Raven Member

It won't take 4 or 5 years, a complete rebuild can be done in three, a partial in two. Look at my reasons, free agency and expiring contracts make it a lot easier to do this now. All it takes is a good GM and a good owner, and we have both!

15. throwedyung14

throwedyung14 Contributing Member

les will only be willing to buy picks as long as the yao cash cow continues to produce.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So if Yao really does miss most of next season, that means he probably stays another year. That puts quite a hamper on our ability to sign a big-time player next offseason.

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Believe me, by the end of their tenure here I was as fed up with them as anyone.

But think about it. Really think about it. Are you really trying to tell me that watching a team led by the Pippen trade rejects + Shandon Anderson + Mo Taylor+ other junk would have been fun times?

Without Yao, Tracy, and soon to be Ron most likely, our squad isn't that far away from that.

18. Glacier

Glacier Member

Not really. Two examples, the Celtics before and after they acquired Allen and KG and the Spurs before and after they drafted TD.

19. MandM's

MandM's Member

Without Yao this team won't win 30 games

mark it

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I thought for sure Yao is a free agent after next season....?

If so, I hate to say it, but you have to let him walk. Now, this gives us tons of money free after this season. We could even make a play at Lebron if we wanted. Doubtful, but I bet we can sign an all-star free agent.

On top of that, if we can somehow still land Rubio, we could lure a top-flight free agent here easier, I think.

I don't think rebuilding will be all that bad....

Like others said, Yao's missed a lot and we've still won without him.

All we need is a top-tier point guard, and a decent center. You could easily turn this team into more of a running team.

I really think in the NBA, though, you either need a top-tier center, or a top-tier point guard (Kobe is an exception). I think Morey agrees with this, and because he knew the end was near with Yao, he is going balls to the wall for Rubio.