1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tell me your stories when McGrady first came to Houston...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaocsaephan, Feb 12, 2009.

1. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I am a T-Mac fan but let's face it, these last few years haven't been so good for him. When I watch highlights of T-Mac (dunking on Bradley), I get goosebumps. How was it for you guys that live in Houston? Were you guys excited to land a 30ppg player to play alongside Yao? They led the Mavericks 3-1 and looked like they would pull it off...

Share with me your stories and your hope at that point. Were you optimistic? Were you guys proud to watch McGrady on TNT in a Houston uniform?

Let's hear some good stories of McGrady and what he brought to Houston that year...besides the "first round exit"

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I remember talking to Jeff on the phone talking about how we were getting him in his prime and that we had years to put the right pieces together around he and Yao.

3. rocketshopeful

I went absolutley nuts. I called everyone of my friends in H-town (was in Austin at the time) and told them we were going to damage. I was too stoked to really look at the signs of why it didn't work out in Orl and thought all he needed was change of scenery. That series we were up 2-0, I was smiling at work, (mostly mavs fan) but wouldn't say anything, didn't want to jinx. Even when we lost, I thought the next year was going to be nuts. 05-06 was just too frustrating, much like this year.

4. ibm

ibm Member

i went to the tc to be in the introductory press conf., in pouring rain, and with ~2,000 others. at the moment i was a big fan and truly thought we were building up a dynasty.

everything went downhill from there, gradually.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Gundy or the poster?
    <br>
    I was actually pretty pissed because I loved Stevie!

I knew we got an amazing player though. I really thought he would take us to the next level, but it seems that fate is against it. I really thought we had the real deal after we were poised to beat the Mavs...

Sometimes things just don't work out..

6. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

I ordered a custom McGrady Rockets jersey right when the trade rumor got really hot.

Wore it out to the bar the night it was official and got hammered.

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

13 points in 33 seconds.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was vehelemently against the trade.
    I thought the young Rocket team was just beginning to gel
    they played a hard touch series against a team with Four Hall of Famers
    and
    Did Houston Proud.

I thought the next year they would build on there success
    and get out of the second round.

I did not see much upside to getting TMAC
    esp with it costing us 3 Starters
    [2 starters and Cato]

2 starters and a legit backup center for T-Mac and a Backup Power Forward
    and random Flotsam was not a good deal imo.

Rocket River
    . . . I guess I still feel the same way about the deal
    . . . Kind of how I feel like the barkley deal

9. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

i didn't like it at first cause i didn't want to see Steve go and didn't think it was going to work. I liked him a lot when he was in Orlando (have his old black and blue shoes when he was there) but knew he was too much of a jump shooter. Changed my mind later on him when he came here but now it seems like I was right about him from the beginning after all... :(

10. BornRedIn87

BornRedIn87 Member

My favorate memory of TMAC as a Rocket was when he picked the team up on his shoulders and led them to a HUGE Game 7 win over the Dallas Mave.............

Oh wait...

My favorate memory of TMAC as a Rocket was when he picked the team up on his shoulders and led them to a HUGE Game 7 win over those hated Utah Ja..........

My favorate memory of TMAC as a Rocket was when he picked this team up on his shoulders and told the world that last years series against the Jazz was all on him and then backed it up by dominating the series and....

DAMMIT...

Okay is it just me or am I seeing a trend here....

Well at least we have Ron "Spurs Killer" Artest when we get the 7th seed and take them on in the I-10 rivalry...

War getting Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich on this team.

Bulls press release 2-11-09 , "If we are going to rebuild around our young stars then we are going to have to be active in getting salaries off our books"

Deng-10million 6 years
    Hinrich-10million 4 years

McGrady 20million NEXT year

DO THE MATH

11. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

being a tmac fan, i was happy for the trade. tmac definitely wanted out of orlando because they were tanking to get the #1 pick. not to mention, they booted out miller and darrel armstrong who kept the team afloat.

all of which are not playing in the nba anymore. rockets got the better end of the deal imo.

12. puffmiao

puffmiao Member

when did the rockets ever lead the mavs 3-1?? :confused:

13. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Uh, I picked this username.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The absolute peak of the Yao-McGrady era was when, moments after tracy hit the game winner to put us up 2-0 going home against dalls, magic johnson proclaimed that yao and tracy reminded him of himself and kareem and predicted future western conference dominance. It's been downhill since then.

The experiment didn't work, but the trade was still complete highway robbery, and one I would make every day of the week. But of course, leave it to Rocket River to maintain otherwise, lol...

15. rocketshopeful

lol, hilarious

16. acjeitherocket

like most of us here...i was happy as hell when we got him. damn near pissed on myself. i wwas a big tmac fan during his Magic yrs

and now.....................................no comment

17. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

i was expecting big on him it's was the scoring champion but never knew about his back problems

18. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I yawned. Then I told my wife, and she said, "they let Stevie go?!!?!"

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The only reason you do the deal again is to immediately scam another team into giving away "fair value" for 2004 McGrady.

20. redao

redao Member

I was scared by Juwan Howard. I knew he was going to bring bad luck here.