1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TELL ME THIS IS NOT A CONSPIRACY

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3422, Jul 8, 2001.

1. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

The fact that neither Nomo or Wakefield were selected for the all star game turns me off even more. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I don't want my offspring to see the HOF and say "Why isn't Pete Rose here? Isn't he the all-time hits leader? Didn't he start the All-Star game at 6 different positions?"

BTW, daddy, there's Dave Parker He admitted to doing cocaine in the dugout. And there is Steve Howe, suspended for drug use 8 times. Hey, look over there, it's Will Cordero, didn't he beat his wife with a telephone? Oh, and don't forget about Roberto Alomar spitting on an umpire.

Come on jammie, Pete Rose is being kept out of the hall because he won't suck up and play nice to Selig. What does that have to do with the game?

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Has anyone here ever been to the Baseball Hall of Fame?

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

4. Behad

It's on my list of "things to do before I die".

------------------

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Well, actually, he allegedly always bet on the reds, not against.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

MLB has one crime that results in a lifetime ban. MLB proved, to its satisfaction, that Rose committed that crime. Rose agreed to accept said lifetime ban. Therefore, MLB shouldn't be coerced into inducting Rose.

(notice I left out the 'IMO' that time [​IMG] )

No rule specifying a lifetime ban for drugs is posted in every MLB clubhouse. No rule about lifetime bans for spousal abuse or umpire abuse. One one rule specifies a lifetime ban. Players/Managers know, by precedent that drug offenses do not result in lifetime bans. Player/Managers know, by precedent that betting on your own team does result in a lifetime ban.

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Drug offenses usually result in jail time. Gambling does not(in many states).

newbiehad, it is well worth it. Simply awe inspiring.

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

8. IVFL

IVFL Member

rose made the mistake of not doing durgs all he had to do was snort a few lines instead of gambling. then he would be in the hall right now. heck he would even be a manager right now if he would have just done drugs.

now let me ask you wich evil is more damaging to society? thats right gambling so I am gald pete will never be in the hall.

------------------

9. Behad

jammie,if you are gonna stick directly to the letter of the law then Rose did NOT commit the one capital crime. There may be overwhelming evidence, but he was NEVER found guilty! An agreement was reach, he settled out of court, so to speak, thus he was not found guilty. You can't say he commited the one capital crime if he was never found guilty of said crime.

------------------

10. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

What on earth do state and local laws on drugs and gambling have to do with MLB's decision not to induct Rose?

MLB's punishments have never resembled that of federal, state or local government. MLB's punishments for spousal abuse and drugs are traditionally lenient. MLB's punishments for betting are traditionally egregiously harsh, and on one more than one occasion have prevented great players from being inducted.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Would anyone like to comment on my accusation of a conspiracy.

P.S. 4000 hits, the guy should be in the hall of fame.

------------------
    I do not believe in god. And it is nice to know that I am going to hell with Hitler, and McVeigh. Although I do not know why.

12. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Does his "lifetime" suspension keep him from being inducted after he dies????

There is little doubt he should be in, look what he did/gave to the game. He left pieces of himself at every park in the league. Guys that play for the love of the game is what the hall is all about. Politics suck!

------------------

13. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Absurd. MLB is not a government agency. MLB does not have to give Rose the right to a fair trial. MLB has no Bill of Rights protecting the rights of the defendant. MLB proved, to its satisfaction, that Rose was guilty. MLB deigned to allow Rose to simply accept the ban with no admission of guilt.

MLB accepted a plea of "No Contest" in its version of a trial, and punished Rose by a lifetime ban. Rose accepted said ban.

MLB's court, their rules.

[This message has been edited by jamcracker (edited July 09, 2001).]

14. Behad

I did, in my first post. Sorry, but I've moved on. [​IMG]

------------------

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

You have made my day newbiehad lol

------------------
    I do not believe in god. And it is nice to know that I am going to hell with Hitler, and McVeigh. Although I do not know why.

16. Elvis Costello

------------------

[This message has been edited by Elvis Costello (edited July 09, 2001).]

17. Elvis Costello

There are many ways that even betting for your own team to win can be harmful. A manager might leave a pitcher in too long, or go with an injured player for the short term win to the detriment of the team's long term success, or the players long term health. That upsets the very fabric of the game and that is still betting for your team.
    Don't forget that the 1919 Black Sox scandal nearly destroyed baseball. You can call it "egregiously" unfair all you like, but one player's criminal, or substance abuse problems does not threaten the integrit of the game. Gambling has that capability. Look at the effect gambling had on the college basketball teams in new york city in the 1950's. This was once the center of the basketball world. Now we get, uh, Mike jarvis..that's about it. That is not an exageration. Since 1919 there could not be a higher emphasis against betting on baseball, as George Will and everybody who has ever been around baseball will attest. If Pete Rose bet on baseball he should be banned from baseball. If Pete Rose didn't bet on baseball, why did he sign the agreement banning him from baseball? Even Pete Rose logic fails this most basic of tests. If Pete Rose is so stupid as to a) bet on baseball despite the overwhelming message from baseball that this is the ultimate sin and b)think that he can get away with lying about betting on baseball when there is overwhelming physical evidence and financial records that he did so then he deserves a) his lifetime of awful haircuts and b) never to get into the hall.
    My own opinion: he should be admitted into the Hall of Fame for his great and undeniable on-field accomplishments, but his lifetime suspension from baseball should be noted on the exhibit and continue to be enforced. Great player, r****ded man.

-Elvis

------------------

18. Elvis Costello

Sorry for the double post...I don't know how to edit. I don't know how to do a lot of things...

-Elvis, great baseball player, r****ded BBS poster

------------------

19. Band Geek Mobster

Click this icon [​IMG]

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

Have no fear kiddies, the name's changed, but the Mobster is still the same...

[This message has been edited by Pete Rose Mobster (edited July 08, 2001).]

20. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Would not inducting Pete Rose into the Baseball Hall of Fame be tarnishing the game instead celebrating it.

Pete Rose was a great player, but he committed a greivous act against the very nature of the game. And rather than face the music and take responsibility, he settled out of court.

He agreed to the lifetime ban.

Until he comes clean and admits to what he's done, I d not believe he should be in the Hall.

------------------
    Don't ask, I lost a bet.