1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Television Provider?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheGreat, Jul 2, 2009.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Hey guys, I believe there was a thread about a TELEVISION provider but I haven't been able to find it.

I'm switching from Comcast soon and I was wondering what kind of TV Provider would be really good.

Is U-Verse worth it?

If I had to choose, DirecTv or Dish Network.

I'm confused and I will love my fellow Clutchfans help.

2. kona-

kona- Member

I am also interested in U-Verse. I have Dish Network right now.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

the general consensus is U-Verse

4. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Is Dish Network any good?

5. Smokey

Smokey Member

I wish I could keep Comcast phone and internet, and get U-Verse TV only, but too bad they run on the same coax inside the house.

6. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Does anyone know if the U100 Package of U-Verse is really good? Im thinking about getting the 90 dollar package with internet and phone service.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I'm satisfied. It's really cheap too.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Interesting. Comcast's phone service is by far their biggest weakness IMO. Disgust with it after Hurricane Ike is one reason I switched to U-Verse. Even before Ike, we had numerous problems which drove my wife mad. I'd take U-Verse's phone & TV and Comcast's internet.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Check the channel listing online. Get U200 instead.

10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

There have been a LOT of threads about this, but the general consensus from everyone on the BBS is:

U-verse GOOD!

Comcast BAD!

I've got U400, and love it. I can't speak to the phone service, because I don't use it, but the cable service is top notch. Some have complained that the HD is not a sharp, but I have two 40" (one plasma and one LCD) that both look great. The guide is easy to navigate, the little extras (being able to access your Flickr account, YellowPages, etc. via the cable box) are nice, and the service is VERY consistent. I just had my first outage in over a year, and it was only down for 1/2 hour. If it's available, don't hesitate. Sign up now.

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Are you sure thats a big difference compared to the 100? Is there more sports channels?

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just checked the lineups. You are right, there isn't much difference in the TV channels. I got U200 because the price difference wasn't much and because of the radio channels. If the radio channels don't mean much to you, there is little difference.

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Thanks A_3PO, I've had Comcast before but I'm still wondering if its going to be the same as U-Verse channels wise.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I switched to Uverse recently from TimeWarner in the DFW area. I have Uverse for internet, phone, and tv service now.

The Bad :

The tv broadcast has some pixelation/hiccups at times.

I got all kinds of errors using HDMI for the tv connection. Others have had the same problem and it's a known issue with AT&T's boxes when using HDMI, apparently. I switched to component connections and have not had problems. Sucks that I can't use HDMI, though.

The Good :

The picture quality is a bit better than TimeWarner from what I can see. The HD is about the same.

Phone service has been fine.

Internet service (like their DSL service) has been solid. I am signed up for the 18 megabit package. I actually do get 17.x download speeds and 1.4x upload speeds. No outages that I can see.

Overall, outside of having the HDMI issues and the hiccups (somewhat rare), the home DVR, the Internet speeds, etc. have been worth it. I also ended up saving money on my bill per month which is one reason I switched/upgraded.

*EDIT* : Oh, I got the U200 for tv service, I believe and it's perfect for what I watch since I don't need random movies or anything (I have Netflix). There are a couple of U300 channels I wish I had, but they aren't worth upgrading and paying more for in the next level of service (U300).

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

These results are surprising. Not only does U-Verse kick sand in the faces of Comcast and Time-Warner, it rates better than the vaunted Verizon Fios. I though Fios was the be-all end-all hands down greatest thing in history. Maybe it's because the survey is for TV only. If internet is included, Fios probably wins.

Time Warner and Comcast don't want these results known. OUCH!

16. droxford

droxford Member

I switched to Uverse on Tuesday after more than 10 years with Comcast/TimeWarner.

... and I LOVE it!!! I'm getting a lot more channels, a lot more HD channels, a lot better image quality and faster download speeds, for less money per month.

So far I have had no problems.

17. droxford

droxford Member

.. and I should mention that I'm using HDMI with my Samsung 52" LCD and it's worked without any problems or hiccups.

18. Blake

Blake Member

Uverse is so much better than Crapcast. Comcast stood me up for two appointments and wouldn't allow me to speak to a manager when I called to raise hell.

When I needed a new outlet installed a few weeks ago, Uverse showed up the next morning and the guy didn't even charge me. 1000x better customer service, which, if you deal with comcast, you eventually have to deal with

oh, and it's cheaper

19. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

How much are you guys paying for your U-Verse packages?