1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Television] Mad Men

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OlajuwonFan81, Mar 19, 2012.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what the whole show is about. Congrats you cracked the riddle.

2. Entropy

Entropy Member

You're the one arguing that Ken is the most miserable character on the show and have continued to fail to prove it. Ken is fine and comfortable with what he has, prove otherwise. You set yourself up for failure by going to extremes by saying he's "the most miserable" character on the show.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's still much happier than he's ever been... the writers aren't trying to be that complicated with a tertiary character, and you're basically seeing what you want to see happen.

#443 Nick, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Ken had a line that was telling, to the effect, that he was just there because of who his father in law was. There's no pride in that kind of job. There's no real joy in being vindictive.

But he is just peripheral to the statement of the show. He could have left the materialism to do something creative that he was invested in, but he took the easy money, coat-tails route. He sold out like everybody else.

#444 Dubious, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  5. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

Betts! This was a sad episode. :(

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Heh, I don't need to have proven anything, it's like proving the sun comes up, it was all there to see and continues to be all there to see.

That said, I don't mind that you have a different, more simplistic interpretation of the show.

Enjoy the finale. :)

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

You're confusing the meaning of the show with the fate of a minor side character. As well as misinterpreting the fate of said side character. Just because he has financial security and the ease it brings doesn't mean he's miserable. Yes, the show is about finding out that what you thought would make you happy doesn't. That sex, material trappings, and the ego of the self are meaningless temporal things in a world of spiritual meaning, and the progression to finally discarding it all to find out what truly matters in life.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the meaning of the show, but I guess for you it might take Einstein level genius to figure out that Ken isn't the most miserable person on the show when it's plain as day he's not.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Bye bye Birdie. :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1t3cBTb3xPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. 713

713 Member

Series finale tonight. Get your Kleenex ready!

10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Last weeks episode was amazing. Makes me wish most of the other episodes were that gripping

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Annnnd its over....what happened? This show from beginning had no point and it ends that way i feel lol

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Plenty of articles out there if you didn't pick up the what the show was about. It's a show that's pretty rich with themes via the characters.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should read up on all of the points made during the series.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Well i already noticed the man crying was explaining basically what don was going thru, also that don made the coke ad and went back.

But to me the most gripping part of the show was Dons story and his past. Its like they didn't really do anything with it beside make it a burden on him or that he had to choose between the two....

15. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

That was probably the best part of the show and it was the centerpiece of much of the first 3 seasons. There comes a point in time where you can't have that be the driving force every season.

It is still my favorite show of all time and I can't necessarily explain why. The characters development in the show and intrigue especially with characters like Don, Betty, Peggy...it was truly one of a kind.

16. GIGO

GIGO Member

#456 GIGO, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
  17. GIGO

GIGO Member

This YT video was posted at about the same time when Morse passed away.

@5:05 RIP Robert Morse