1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teen who points gun at cops shot dead, protesters riot and start fire.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GlenDice, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Interdasting. What was the type on the second line? You accidentally typed killed instead of fatally shot? because it seems like you were comparing the two events and trying to write them in a similar way.

A police officer fatally killed a citizen.
    A criminal killed a citizen.

Just threw in an adverb to make it sound worst amirite?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I can understand why you wouldn't want to go back into each case because they pretty much show that the protesters were r****ds that didn't actually have cause to riot.

That's not the case at all, if we ever get a topic about a legitimate example of an officer doing something wrong, I'll absolutely be against them. You'd know that I'm not really a fan of cops if you knew me.....it's just that I'm not stupid enough to whine about people defending themselves....which has been by far the majority of perceived abuses that have been talked about.

I "ignore it" because it has nothing to do with the rioting in Furguson or elsewhere...in fact, there wasn't much reaction to that coming out at all. The riots were related to the Micheal Brown shooting, which was a justifiable use of force. Trying to re-write history this soon just isn't going to work, you'll have to wait at least a decade to try and spin it.

Well if they acted more intelligently, I would probably think more of them. If they had a more legitimate cause, I'd think they had a more legitimate cause.

Sorry, but if they wanted to be respected, they'd have to stop acting like clowns and stop picking innocent people to rage about.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It was a typo. Period. Whether I typed in "Fatally shot" or "Fatally Killed" the point was made and Fatally Killed makes no sense which as you pointed out earlier (but I ignored because arguing about typos is pointless as all..) didn't make sense any ways. You are welcomed to think I'm dumb enough to use the term "Fatally Killed" if you like though if you want.

Even Bobby's not arguing about it because it's not even what the discussion is about. Some people though like to have "Gotcha!" moments instead of bringing any substance to any discussion.

More because it'll waste time going over this stuff again.

Yep...I'll believe it when I see it.
    So the Ferguson riots about being treated unfairly have nothing to do with the long history of that area? You should listen to the actual PEOPLE that live there talk about their experience there, living there, growing up there..and again read through the DOJ report.

You really think that Ferguson just went and had a riot because of Mike Brown solely? So, why now then? Why not 5 years ago? 10 years ago? They rallied around Mike Brown, it was the 'Straw'. Just listen to what they were saying, yes Mike Brown played a big role but you are just ignoring

TBH, I bet most of them really don't care if you respect them or not Bobby. You are completely out of touch of the situation and so am I. The difference is some of us are willing to willing to listen and others are willing to just say "No, don't care." and move on and remain happy with the status quo.

I don't think people riot to get respect from the other side but to make demands and tell the state that they will not settle for their condition.

A wise man doesn't judge the intelligence of others.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that but you know I'm right. The riots have been largely as a reaction to lawful events.

Well then come up with a legitimate example of police wrongdoing and you'll see it.

The Furguson riots had nothing at all to do with that, were they or were they not chanting "hands up don't shoot"? Now I'm sure there were also complaints about the history of police interaction in the area, but that was an afterthought.....and you know what? You know it.

Well I'm sure a lot of it was because people just wanted to loot and vandalize....but yeah, most of it was because of Mike Brown and was as a reaction to his father screaming "Burn this b**** down". He commanded the mob to burn the town down because they weren't going to get to string up an innocent man, and the mob followed that command. The talk about the DOJ report is nothing but spin by those who are rightfully embarrassed about looking dumb.

LOL well it's probably good that they don't care about people respecting them because they aren't worthy of it.

Well that's still pretty stupid because the entire reason they are rioting to begin with is based on a lie. They won't settle for police officers defending themselves when criminals attack them.....I can't see anyone caring about those demands.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Thanks, I will!

I just like making fun of r****ded ass posts and calling people on BS.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think so. These riots about police brutality have been going on since the 90s...this is not some new thing, this is frustration that has built up to this boiling point.

Tamir Rice was a pretty good example...and it still got shrugged off.

Nothing in the world happens in a vacuum. Everything is related to something. Mike Brown's death sparked something waiting to be lit. The history of that area was enough and Mike Brown was what flipped it over the edge

Well if they were so easy and ready to vandalize then they had forever to do so. Not sure why they just chose Mike Brown to do that for. Or this idea that his father was the mob leader giving out orders is kind of over the top. Truth is, the riot was born out of the protest. The protests turned angry and police came in the town like a occupying force and the people then proceeded to act out like that...because of course they would. They were treated right off the start as if they were the problem. Also, MANY of the protests were peaceful protests.

Protester's also helped repair the damage of some of the angrier rioters, but none of that gets talked about.

[​IMG]

Hard to be calm with that going on...

As for the DOJ being nothing but spin. That's you spinning history, since the report is about the history of that area. Even here you are not admitting that "Okay, this area had a problem with the police." even with the report. This wouldn't even mean you admitting anything about Mike Brown but the history of the area. Even then you are just saying it is spin.

So again, I'll believe it when I see it.

If you say so, I'm glad you are not running for president or an important office. You have to at the very least respect the concerns of civilians.

It's not about police defending themselves, it's about police using deadly force to defend themselves without much hesitation.

Sounds like you have confidence issues if you feel the need to one up people on a internet forum.

Enough of this back and fourth about a typo. I admitted it was a typo, you can't prove that it wasn't. Even so, the point of the actual post is the same with the typo. Everyone has a bias, I will at least admit mines. Either discuss the point of the post or move on. I'm actually into discussing the issue of the thread and not forum games of trying to belittle other posters.

Do you think that police fatally shooting someone is the same as a criminal killing someone?

I won't be replying to any more posts about this fatally killed thing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

These are actually linked. I know a lot of people are used to how things work on TV and in movies, but in real life when you are dealing with an armed potentially hostile person, if you hesitate, you die.

Sure, in the Tamir Rice story cops shot pretty fast...but if you raise a gun at all with cops around, they fire. When a split second can be the difference between living and dying, you can't afford to hesitate....you can't afford to spend the time to determine if the gun is a replica or real, you have to treat any gun as if it is deadly.

I mean, the Rice story is absolutely unfortunate...but if you're looking at it without bias, you have to admit that it's understandable. Either that or you are holding police to a ridiculous standard you'd never in 1000 years hold yourself to unless you have a death wish.

So again, I ask for a legitimate example of police wrongdoing. It certainly happens. Can't you find a clean example? One where the "victim" wasn't armed or didn't appear armed and didn't attack the officer? I mean I guess you could try to bring up that fat guy in NY, but the reason he died was more McDonald's fault than anyone else's.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No it isn't understandable. If an alleged perpetrator has an alleged firearm, SOP isn't blast in with patrol car right up to the perpetrator. Observe from a distance and shout commands from a distance and THEN confirm the individual is armed with an actual weapon... from a distance with cover and concealment.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u5nPyf-0UMc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Skip to 19:30. Wood explicitly states what should have been done in that situation. However, he was a former Marine grunt and not one of those highly venerated enlisted S-2 shop workers, so you might not respect his intelligence.

#68 fchowd0311, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post, with very valid points. You are right that none of this gets talked about very much.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also that people on the other side of this will often say the media is always poking racial flames.

Yet when the media reports about black people rioting or setting things on fires they just go right along with it thinking nothing much else of it. It's almost like a confirmation bias thing with them. This station is telling them what they want to hear so they just outright believe it...and then form their opinions on that without delving deeper into it.

So it turns out, they care about policing AND the criminals in their community. Go figure. That shouldn't surprise most people though.

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

My point wasn't the shot vs killed thing. It was the whole fatally thing. It was pretty obvious that wasn't a typo, and it was to create an affect. I hope that's working for you. BLM is looking for a few good twitter writers.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Now watch the usual suspects dance around the subject or say nothing at all.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that there is racism in a police force that results in the excessive arrest, beatings, humiliations, and deaths of minorities particularly blacks will never ever be admitted to by these fools.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The point is that you decided to focus on something that doesn't really matter at all, and is a mistake in using a word that made the sentence redundant but didn't change the meaning at all, and that is an easy mistake to make, and clearly wasn't calculated.

You could have focused on the fact that blacks in Ferguson have been suffering racism an unfair system of criminal justice for quite a while. But instead you wanted to keep arguing about something that has no effect on the relevant discussion in this thread.

Congrats! You win!

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Exactly right. You're knocking it out of the ball park on this. It's sad that people debating with you won't acknowledge the valid points that you're making.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Jay you do know that bobby is just a troll you have proven the point over and over he will not admit to being wrong.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Love the spin, but the BLM crowd's record speaks for itself and it's nothing to be proud of.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's sad. What's even worse is they always make these comments about how they care. Yet when proven wrong about it they instead skirt around the issue and ignore it.

They are completely fine with how the world is.

And it's not just me too, but fchowd made a great point about Tamir Rice and the thread was about to die.

But Bobby said he'd admit to a cop being in the wrong yet proceeds to excuse the officer for that too and calls it unfortunate. Yes, how unfortunate it is for a kid to lose their life. Lets just move on. Everything's fine...

Yea and I expected as much. It's at least slightly amusing to watch them dance around like they do.

You mean the spin by Fox news and other media outlets right?

Was this thread not created to say that black people don't care about black on black crime? You went on and on in this thread about how this community did not care about the girl that was killed.

I just provided proof that they did. They had a vigil for the girl, including the same 'r****ded' protesters, others, AND the police and asked for justice for her too.

Really that hard to admit that perhaps you shouldn't have jumped the gun and were misled by the media?

You even said that the media is responsible for fanning racial flames in another thread but it seems you only think the media is trying to start a race war if they show empathy towards black people. If they slam black communities and paint them only as frothing rioters though, I guess your cool with that.

As is Glynch and the rest of the bunch here.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, right now I'm talking about the spin job you are attempting....basically the same as Fox News.

Look at the track record of the BLM people....it's pretty terrible, and I get why you are trying to defend them, but it's futile.