1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Token "I was right. You were wrong," post.

I'd dig up some of the arguments from back in Jan/Feb, but I'd just feel that much more egocentric. Basically, the Texan's are doing exactly what I suspected they would, because the best QB in the world doesn't mean **** if you're not winning in the trenches.

Ask Peyton Manning.

2. Major

Major Member

Peyton Manning? The guy who's had success with every O-Line he's ever had, no matter what injuries hit or who was swapped in and out? Are you sure the trenches were the strength, or was the constant simply that Manning made his O-Line look awesome with his command of it and decision-making?

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers etc seem to manage just fine no matter the circumstances they are in. Given the volatility of an O-Line, it's unlikely that each of those guys has just had incredible O-lines every single year of their career. Rodgers, in particular, is one of the most sacked and pressured QBs most years.

But they are exceptions, being all-world players - of course an O-Line is going to be helpful. But the flipside of your argument is that winning in the trenches doesn't mean *** if you don't have a QB.

1 person likes this.
  3. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

All 3 of them have great O-Line's nearly every year. The years that they don't, typically due to injury, they end up getting overwhelmed in the playoffs by elite defenses.

What I meant by that statement was that even Brees, Brady, or Manning need the pocket to hold for at least 2.4 seconds. Getting pressure quicker than that is how you beat the best.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Peyton gets rid of the ball so fast and reads blitzes so well he makes his offensive lines look good.

Broncos sacks given up -
    2010 - 40 sacks
    2011 - 42 sacks
    Broncos get Manning -
    2012 - 21 sacks
    2013 - 20 sacks

5. Remii

Remii Member

So you think the Texans didn't draft a quarterback because of the offensive line...??? Lol.

And if you ask Manning he will tell you that the Seattle secondary locked his receivers up on the line of scrimmage and his arm wasn't strong enough to throw the ball down field. Even Richard Sherman said Manning could have exposed them if he took more chances down field.

Seattle's defense is built from the back end. Their front 7 isn't the strength of that team. That's why it's easier to run on them than to throw on them.

Seattle had injuries on their offensive line last season as well.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Manning throws a lot of screens and short passes. Over 70% of his passes or behind the line of scrimmage to 5-10 yards. He has receivers that can get YAC and take it too the house.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Man, are Bridgewater fans turning into LOFs? Any possibility that he may not be a future star QB is automatically spinned into hate?

Also, if most NFL scouts and GMs are wrong, then technically the most successful NFL players should be UDFAs. Because after all, the players these guys draft should all be busts. Yet history has shown that the higher the pick, the more likely the success. 1st round picks are more likely to become pro bowlers than 2nd round picks and so forth. So the idea that if NFL front offices believe something, then it has to be wrong, is both stupid on a factual level even if you lack the common sense to see it.

8. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

I am the biggest Bridgewater fan on this board, but I can't argue with how this draft turned out

We built up our line on both sides (should have a top 10 to top 5 pass rush next year)

We have hog mollies on the o-line who can move people

If BOB turned Matt McGloin into serviceable NFL qb, Maybe he can turn Savage into something special

Even though we missed out on TB, he is in the NFC.

I am pleased

Heck he even went to a team perfect for him

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

At the end of the day Teddy;

-Had success on the field at Louisville,
    -Helped his coach get an even better job,
    -got his degree,
    -did something nice for his mom, &
    -Got drafted in the first round.

He'll get his shot to live his dream, no excuses required.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am not saying that. In general most players who are picked early are considered better players by most people not just nfl scouts or gms. So the probability that guy picked earlier is going to be better is higher. What I would expect them to do is be able to pick at much higher rate then mock drafts. I don't know if TB will good or not, but I am rooting for him. Don't bring your LOF crap in here. Since you provided no facts and just want to insult let me provide you some facts.

Here is a list of 1st round qbs:

2000 Chad Pennington New York Jets - good
    2001 Michael Vick Atlanta Falcons - good
    2002 David Carr Houston Texans
    2002 Joey Harrington Detroit Lions
    2002 Patrick Ramsey Washington Redskins
    2003 Carson Palmer Cincinnati Bengals good
    2003 Byron Leftwich Jacksonville Jaguars
    2003 Kyle Boller Baltimore Ravens
    2003 Rex Grossman Chicago Bears
    2004 Eli Manning San Diego Chargers good
    2004 Philip Rivers New York Giants good
    2004 Ben Roethlisberger Pittsburgh Steelers good
    2004 J.P. Losman Buffalo Bills
    2005 Alex Smith San Francisco 49ers good
    2005 Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers good
    2005 Jason Campbell Washington Redskins
    2006 Vince Young Tennessee Titans
    2006 Matt Leinart Arizona Cardinals
    2006 Jay Cutler Denver Broncos good
    2007 JaMarcus Russell Oakland Raiders
    2007 Brady Quinn Cleveland Browns
    2008 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons good
    2008 Joe Flacco Baltimore Ravens good
    2009 Matt Stafford Detroit Lions good
    2009 Mark Sanchez New York Jets
    2009 Josh Freeman Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    2010 Sam Bradford St. Louis Rams
    2010 Tim Tebow Denver Broncos

12/28 1st round qbs turned out to be decent. What does that say about how good nfl scouts and gms are?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Perfect team for him"? Hardly. He is a kid that can't throw an accurate deep pass to save his life and he went to a Norv Turner team. For his sake, I hope Cassel wins out the QB job this year because he needs some more time to develop or he'll get the bust tag in a hurry.

12. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Apparently he was Norv's pick.

Norv is a qb guru and if Norv wanted him, he wanted him for a reason.

Wouldn't be surprised if Norv turned TB into a top 5 qb when its all said and done

13. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Norv compares TB to Kurt Warner

Great pocket presence and quick release

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, we'll see. I still don't like the fit though.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That said, going to Minnesota is infinitely better than going to the factory of sadness in Cleveland.

16. Remii

Remii Member

I don't know about that. Minnesota is building a new stadium and they are about to start playing outside. Minnesota, Green Bay, Chicago _ it's darn cold up their and I don't believe Teddy is considered a good cold weather quarterback.

Norv Turner + Teddy Bridgewater = :confused: I don't see a good fit there either.

Just my opinion and maybe those concerns are minimum and will be easy for Teddy to overcome.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Have you looked at the ratio of good quarterbacks that came out of the 2nd round and beyond compared to the ones that didn't work out...? I bet it's worst than 12/28.

The draft isn't an exact science. 1st round pass rushers and wide receivers bust as well and or don't live up to their 1st round grade. And considering the quarterback position is one of if not the hardest position to play, the hardest postion to fill, and the most important _ that 12/28 ratio isn't bad at all.

It's only 12-15 good quarterbacks in the NFL so that 12/28 ratio is right on track... Lol...

It's all a matter of point of view. But a quarterback is needed and teams will draft them.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All legitimate concerns, but the factory of sadness' main product is bust QB's and they just lost their top two WR's.

Manziel + factory of sadness - Josh Gordon - Nate Burleson + unfair fan and media expectations = the disappointment that is par for the course in Cleveland

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Draft position of those 12 QBs you listed as "good."

5 #1 overall picks
    7 top-5 overall picks
    10 top half of the 1st round
    2 drafted in the bottom-half of the 1st round

Pray tell, what in that list disproves the idea that NFL people know how to evaluate talent? And how is history on your side when Rodgers and Pennington are the only late 1st round picks to succeed in the NFL?

20. Remii

Remii Member

I wasn't expecting Johnny to start this year. I'm under the impression that Hoyer will be the best starting option for that team this year (if he recovers from injury) and of course I have "hope" for VY (as in I hope he studies his playbook harder than he does a Cheesecake Factory menu).

Just the same I never viewed him as a day one starter so I don't think Gordon being out effects him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.