1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remii

Remii Member

I think Philly is a dark horse team for a quarterback. Maybe even Pittsburgh because of the situation with Big Ben. And maybe Arizona. None of those head coaches have "their guy" at the quarterback position. Those are possibilities. And I don't think St Louis should be counted out either with their 13th pick.

I don't think Cincy would take a quarterback in the 1st. I think Lewis is married to Dalton like Kubiak was to Schaub.

We'll know tomorrow.

2. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Both are less than ideal for us.

1. Bengals give him a high powered team to jump in and play at a high level immediately . Would be a big upgrade from the clutchless Dalton

2. Jacksonville would let us face him twice a year. Bridgewater is the underdog type. It will hurt

I wouldn't be surprised if the qb scouting landscape evolves in a year or two thanks to this draft class. I wouldn't be surprised at all if GMs and coaces got fired either. And I am not talking about fired to taking a player, fired for not taking one (specifically your Bridgewater and POSSIBLY Manziel)

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Man, if we bump up this thread in a year or two, there will certainly be a lot of people looking like geniuses and a lot of people looking like idiots.

Whether we pick him or not, I will be looking forward to seeing where he's picked and how he develops in the NFL.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lance zsaid on the radio yesterday think that the texans will not even consider him in the 2nd

5. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

The bump on this thread will be epic no matter where the pendulum swings

6. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

This thread will take off once the regular season hits

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

when he and Clwoney are leading us to the playoffs! :grin:

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Did he give any mention of who he thinks the Texans may consider in the 2nd?

9. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

It wouldn't be too hard either

Apparently the Browns interest in Bridgewater is real and there is already one team in the second discussing a possible trade up to first to get him

So its going to take expert GMing (I know I am asking a lot) to pull this one off

I don't have the confidence in Rick Smith though

10. Remii

Remii Member

I wouldn't be too sure of that.... Teddy reminds me A LOT of Thad Lewis and O'Brien coached Thad at Duke. So "IF" O'Brien liked Thad _ I'm sure he would consider Teddy. Don't know if they would pull the trigger though.

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

Slip Teddy slip!!! Clowney Bridgewater would make my day

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Big Hands, Small Colleges and the N.F.L. Draft

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/upshot/big-hands-small-colleges-and-the-nfl-draft.html?referrer=

RONALD MARTINEZ / GETTY IMAGES
    By TONI MONKOVIC
    May 8, 2014

Some say you can take the measure of a man by the firmness of his handshake.

In the N.F.L., where seemingly every attribute is scrutinized in the weeks and months before the draft, that’s not nearly enough — they measure the hand itself.

General managers will take the data they’ve gathered and try to find a steal starting with the draft’s first round Thursday night. The Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson is an example of what they’re looking for. He helped the Seahawks win the Super Bowl in February after being picked in the third round in 2012, the sixth quarterback selected.

Quarterbacks have grown significantly taller in the last six decades, and Wilson is a mere 5 feet 11 inches, an unpardonable offense for anyone hoping to be chosen in the first round. Jonathan Bales, writing for Rotoworld last week, said, “Small quarterbacks like Russell Wilson are often dismissed by draft analysts, but there is some evidence to suggest that size of a quarterback’s hands is more important.”

Bigger hands help quarterbacks handle the ball and perhaps also help them throw it. Mr. Bales recorded the hand measurements for every quarterback drafted since 2008 and also found data for some older quarterbacks. The average N.F.L. hand size for a quarterback is now 9.6 inches, he said. “Some of the top ‘short’ quarterbacks (6-2 or shorter) of the past decade have ridiculously large hands — Drew Brees (10.25 inches), Russell Wilson (10.25 inches), Brett Favre (10.38 inches),” he wrote.

Hand size is one potential inefficiency to exploit in the draft market, and another was explored this week by Andrew Healy, an economics professor at Loyola Marymount University who wrote a guest post at Football Perspective.

He studied players drafted from 1998 to 2007 and found that in the draft’s middle rounds, “players from outside the traditional power conferences have been more than twice as likely to eventually make the Pro Bowl as players from the most famous programs.” That was particularly true for defensive players, like ends Jared Allen (Idaho State) and Robert Mathis (Alabama A&M).

Teams kept picking players from major conferences despite the success of the small-college players, and Mr. Healy suggested that the reason was “risk aversion,” erring on the side of the conventional, the same tendency that makes coaches conservative on fourth down and short.

But the opportunity for teams to capitalize on that inefficiency may have ended. Since 2008, major colleges have supplied most of the star defenders after the draft’s third round. Mr. Healy speculated that better scouting of high school players “means that great players are now less likely to be at small schools in the first place.”

Finally, what are the probabilities that the Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel (relatively short at 6-1), or any other player, is picked in a given spot? Brian Burke of Advanced NFL Analytics devised a draft analysis tool inspired by Thomas Bayes (never conducted a mock draft — that we know of).

Mr. Manziel’s hands, by the way, are 9.88 inches, bigger than average — and perhaps well suited to handle autograph signing sessions in the off-season.

The Upshot provides news, analysis and graphics about politics, policy and everyday life. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

13. Mr. Clutch

Browns spent $100,000 on advanced study of quarterbacks

Posted by Michael David Smith
    AP

As the Cleveland Browns continue to search for a quarterback who would be worth the eight-figure salary that a franchise passer commands, they’ve spent a six-figure sum on trying to identify the best way to choose a quarterback.

According to Sal Paolantonio of ESPN, the Browns commissioned a study of the quarterback position that cost $100,000 and entailed a great deal of research into which qualities go into success at the most important position in football. The study began under former team President Joe Banner and was only recently completed, after Banner left.

The study, which used advanced analytics to examine every quarterback who has played in the last two decades, concluded that the best quarterback in this year’s draft is Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville.

What we don’t know is how much stock the current decision makers put in the study. If Banner thought it was useful but current General Manager Ray Farmer and coach Mike Pettine think the study is a bunch of hooey, then Browns owner Jimmy Haslam basically flushed $100,000 down the toilet. (Maybe he can make it up by withholding $100,000 worth of rebates from Pilot Flying J customers.) But if the Browns’ brass believes in the study, keep an eye on Bridgewater when the Browns’ second first-round pick comes up, at No. 26.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

As if we didn't already have enough reason to watch this thread for years to come, that Browns study might change the way all teams evaluate QBs.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, nothing says picking the right QB like the Browns.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The history

The tradition

17. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

If Teddy becomes a upper tier top 5-10 qb it won't be that some statistical analysis said so.

It will be his intangibles

18. Mr. Clutch

Casserly: Manziel “by far the most overrated player in the draft”

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 8, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
    manzielpress
    AP

Charley Casserly ran a draft room 18 times in two stints as an NFL general manager, first in Washington and then in Houston. And he hasn’t often seen a player he likes less than Johnny Manziel.

Casserly published a mock draft at NFL.com this week in which he projected Manziel as falling out of the first round entirely, and although Casserly acknowledges that there are plenty of people around the NFL who like Manziel enough to use a first-round pick on him, Casserly believes those people are wrong.

In fact, Casserly believes that Manziel isn’t the top prospect at anything except getting more credit than he deserves.

“I think this guy is the most overhyped player in the draft, and he’s by far the most overrated player in the draft,” Casserly said on NFL Network.

Whether he’s overrated, underrated or properly rated remains to be seen, but this is clear: Manziel is the most polarizing and most discussed player in the draft.

19. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Brady 6 is a good watch

Sold me on Teddy Bridgewater

Can't measure heart

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's good, because in any area that's measurable Teddy has failed to live up to expectations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.