1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater or Bust

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I agree that Bridgewater is the far superior prospect & better fit for the city of Houston and the Texans organization.

BUT, I disagree on your assessment of Manziel. If Manziel gets his head right, and that is a big IF... I believe he can be a very good NFL QB. He is very impressive.

2. platypus

platypus Member

Fair enough I agree. But I wouldn't bank on that possibility with the number 1 pick. And i feel that TB is too good a QB to trade down and pass. I think teams that reach on Manziel will be disappointed as he isn't prepared yet to come in and run a pro style offense. But if you draft him and groom him to be your Qb then he can be good.

If he gets put into a situation like Russel Wilson where he has a good Head Coach and respectable organization to groom him he can be great.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The next five months are going to be insane
    (I may get more entertainment out of a 2-14 team with the first pick that I would have a 10-6 team with a playoff exit)

1 person likes this.
  4. Remii

Remii Member

Just as much as I watched Case. And like I already said _ just like Case, Teddy is playing against guys who will be working at the post office... Johnny has put up big games against guys who will be working in the NFL and NFL experienced coaches on almost a regular basis.

And don't forget that Charlie Strong recruits out of Florida. Teddy has some big time talent around him... Offensively that team was a big fish in a little pond in that conference so of course they looked good. Just like with Case and Cobb. But by no means am I saying Teddy isn't a good QB to draft _ I just don't believe he's worthy of that #1 overall pick. But if O'Brien wants him _ I'm good with it. But I would rather have Johnny if they just feel they have to spend that pick on a QB instead of trading down and if they trade down they still may can get Johnny...

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Has Johnny ever taken a snap from under Center? I'm truly curious...

6. Remii

Remii Member

I've watched Bridgewater. No need for you to assume I didn't just because you don't agree with my opinion. You guys supported Carr, Schaub, Charlie, and Kub. So you really shouldn't jump on me because I don't think a guy who played great in a cupcake conference should be drafted with the #1 pick like you do because in my opinion your opinion is suspect. Carr is a guy who played against cupcake defenses in college in a good system also. And here you go beating your chest screaming for Teddy. But you could end up just banging your head against the wall...

And why you bringing up VY...? It's the new year and you already hating...Lol. Johnny is a much better version talent wise (better passer and reader of the defense) and mentally stronger. He's been under the media microscope, heavy ESPN rotation, under investigation and suspended and still performed at a high level against top talent on a team with a weak defense and I don't think his offense line was that good. No QB player has had to go what he's been through. VY couldn't handle having money, couldn't handle the pressure because he got his azz kissed from high school to the pros, and didn't have the work ethic but despite all of that _ he still won games. But really no comparison between the two other than they are both from Texas, had great college careers, and the Texans should have drafted VY just like they should probably go head and draft Johnny...

7. Major

Major Member

JFF also has had huge advantages like an NFL line that gives him all day to throw.

Just because you recruit out of Florida doesn't mean you have crazy talent. Who else on Louisville is a projected NFL type player? I'm not saying it's not true - I just have no idea. I do think it's an important factor - if Louisville has talent advantages all over the field, especially at OL and WR, then that has to be considered in the evaluation process.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Did RG3...??? Did Cam...??? O'Brien is a good coach. The Patriots offense became prolific while he was there and Brady turned into the QB he is today under him (when they couldn't cheat on defense anymore). So I'm not worried about how many snaps a quarterback took under center. And because none of these guys are on the draft grade of Luck, Cam, or RG3 _ I have no problem at all if O'Brien and Smith decides to trade down and get more pics and draft a quarterback with a later pick. I think O'Brien is the kind of coach that could have just as much success with a QB he could trade down and get than he would with taking Teddy or Johnny with the #1 pick.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.thesidelineview.com/scouting-report/johnny-manziel

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/TonyE7">@TonyE7</a> I have my doubts, where I am right now, I wouldn't take him top-10...</p>&mdash; Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) <a href="https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/statuses/418239737208373248">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johnny, mariota, Bortles over Teddy RT <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonUptown">@HoustonUptown</a>: Question? Manziel or Teddy?</p>&mdash; Eric Winston (@ericwinston) <a href="https://twitter.com/ericwinston/statuses/418243522882330624">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Good piece by <a href="https://twitter.com/GenoEspn">@GenoEspn</a> on UCF QB Blake Bortles on Gameday right now. Several in the NFL think he's the top QB prospect in the draft</p>&mdash; Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) <a href="https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/statuses/418410308432953344">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I mentioned this last night but BOB saw Bortles up close this year and had HIGH praise for the UCF QB. Darkhorse candidate for No. 1 overall</p>&mdash; Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) <a href="https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/statuses/418410932486696960">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/dpbrugler">@dpbrugler</a> Fits the &quot;mold&quot; he may prefer more than the other top QBs.</p>&mdash; Dan Kadar (@MockingTheDraft) <a href="https://twitter.com/MockingTheDraft/statuses/418411298959802368">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

#1089 J.R., Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. Remii

Remii Member

Louisville has 39 players on its roster from Florida including Teddy (wide receivers as well). And Florida isn't as big as Texas but they have alot of talent and it's hard to pull top talent out of that state and to go to Louisville of all places. That's a reason everyone wants Charlie now.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just asked a question no need to get your panties in a wad. And you should be worried because it is a completely different position when your under center rather than in Shotgun all the time.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I would almost rather keep Schaub than pick Bortles #1, the kids arm sucks, and he doesn't ever have to make difficult reads. He is the most overhyped kid in the draft IMO.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

How many UCF games have you watched?

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why does it matter that it was Duke?

He's had the same type of performances against Alabama and other top tier programs in the country. He's played the best programs and pretty much always been at the top of his game. And it's not just about the defense he's playing, it's about the kind of throws he's able to make too. Manziel was actually going through progressions last night, throwing deep balls, intermediate balls, showing good arm strength, nice accuracy, etc... The same things everyone is talking about with Bridgewater, Manziel was doing last night.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Don't be suprised if this guy is our QB on opening day:

[​IMG]

16. Major

Major Member

Right - but just because you have lots of players from Florida doesn't mean you have the good players from Florida. If they are getting the 2 and 3 stars from Florida, then that's not the same as getting the 4 and 5 stars from Florida. It just means Strong has good ties to Florida.

Like I said, I'm not questioning the premise - but having lots of players from Florida doesn't mean anything in itself. Are any of these guys top tier prospects? NFL possibilities? What makes them better than the players on on the other AAC teams?

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Phil Savage ‏@SeniorBowlPhil 18m
    Bill O'Brien to @HoustonTexans = UCF QB Blake Bortles (if he declares) in mix for #1 pick overall. Golden Knights beat PSU 34-31 in Sept.

18. Progs

Progs Member

I only saw about 4-5 games of Bortles and thought he looked solid but I don't know if worthy of #1 pick. Will be watching UCF v Baylor to see how he plays against another very good team. I'm actually leaning towards Manziel.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This board and the city of Houston will explode if Bortles is #1.

If the team isn't sold on Bridgewater or Manziel at #1...then please, for the love of God, trade down.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Bridgewater is who we should draft if we are drafting the best qb. I wouldn't mind Manziel though I like that pick too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.