1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ted Lasso Best show on TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 1, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Football is life, Lasso is TV.

Tartt is ass.

#161 daywalker02, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Ziggy likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

The following is all my personal opinion. I'm sure you already believe otherwise, and I'm not trying to change your mind, but:

It's not a problem that I believe that, because he's absolutely a tertiary character. You could remove him entirely from the show, and the show wouldn't miss him at all. It's difficult to say the same for any other 'important' character. Remove Keeley? Rebecca and Roy would suffer. Remove Higgins? You'd lose out on a lot of comedic moments. In fact, if Beard was removed, no character on the show would suffer for it, in terms of character development.

The character he has most in common with is Ted Lasso, and I personally wouldn't need him present to understand Ted Lasso's character. Ted Lasso doesn't even need him. He has the psychologist, Rebecca, the rest of the team and the rest of the Diamond Dogs.

Coach Beard has no bearing on Lasso's failure of a relationship with his now ex-wife. Beard didn't go with Lasso to recruit Roy Kent to coach for the team. Before the Beard episode, Beard was mostly used as a character who provides one-liners that no one questions. He was comedic relief to a tense situation. The only significant moment that Beard has had since the show started, was the scene in which he told Nate how much of a dick he was to Colin. And even then, Nate still acted out against the equipment manager. Beard didn't influence Nate at all.

As to your last line - one doesn't need to know more about the Beard character to appreciate the show. The only thing I cared to know was that Beard was brought up alongside Lasso when they were coaching Div. II college football. That's good enough for me.

Does this mean I think that Beard should be written out of the show because I think he's a tertiary character? No. But honestly, his character didn't need to be explored to the point where an entire episode was dedicated to him.

Again, Higgins in the Christmas episode was well done because it focused on him while showcasing the rest of the cast. Even Nate's burning desire to get the approval of his father was well done because it focused on him while showcasing the rest of the cast.

Lastly, just because a viewer may not care for a particular character of a show, doesn't mean they don't appreciate the entire show. What an odd thing to say.

3. JW86

JW86 Member

Hey first off, let me apologize for making such a strong statement as if my opinion is fact and my view is the only right one. I respect your opinion of course and I think we both should refrain from making definitive statements like 'absolutely', in your case ;) As far as the Christmas episode, I get why you feel it's better and of course I also feel it felt a lot less like a standalone episode due to the presence of so many others. However, I feel coach Beard's can be taken as gaining a better understanding of a key character and therefore genius in its own right. There's a reason Jason chose this episode and I'd like to believe it's more than just his real life friendship with Brendan Hunt, but understanding coach Beard's importance and how that last moment outside the stadium and how it ended, really set up this episode perfectly since at least I really wanted to know what would happen with Beard.

I felt something bad might happen and it was a very serious moment that I don't think you could do for just a tertiary character. Imagine the next episode being the funeral one, wouldn't have left a lot of questions unanswered and the ending of the prior episode unnecessary? I'd hope, regardless how you feel about Beard, that as a fan you're invested enough to want to know what coach Beard was going to do to shake it off, especially after being so standoffish with Ted. He was just not being Beard, he gave him a look and reaction that really showed he didn't want to be around Ted or anyone for that matter, was really upset with himself and maybe even Ted. This episode gave me at least the answer for his behaviour that night and in general and I definitely appreciate his character and his relationship with Ted even more.

I'll explain why I feel Beard is key for Ted's character and why I believe tertiary is not doing him justice. As a person who loves comedy and its forms, there's the obvious crossover of the more loud, overt, talkative American humor represented by Ted Lasso and the more subtle English humor. Of course the English characters provide plenty to balance Ted out for the viewer on the humor side, but having coach Beard as his soundboard and in many ways being the opposite of Ted, helps Ted in several ways as well as make him who he is. As a person and as a coach. Beard also tends to be the bridge between American and English humor as he masters both. Not sure if he actually is supposed to be the one who helps Ted adjusts to England, I'd have to go back to the first few episodes, but wouldn't surprise me if he did.

First off there's Ted's talkative nature. Sure, it's in a way stereotypical of Americans and fits his character. It is of course funny, but at the same time there's a reason for that. He's trying to come off as this positive, happy go lucky guy with a can do attitude, but there's more to it than that. He truly believes in being good to people, that people can do anything they want they put their mind to, but again that partly comes from somewhere. We can see that develop since the first season and has come to the forefront in the second one. His relationship with his father.

Coach Beard probably doesn't even know, BUT the reason why they work as a coaching duo and are best friends is because of how different they are. Imagine a guy prying, always wanting to know why, talking as much as Ted or at least very vocal as a coach, that wouldn't work professionally and definitely would make a friendship harder since Ted doesn't want to open up about certain things. Coach Beard gives him that space, both personally to be as he is and sometimes a look is already enough for them to understand each other. Coach Beard reminds him to shut up every once in a while or come back to earth, as Ted can be too much in the clouds whereas Beard is grounded in reality.

Also coach Beard is very important as a support system, of course he can never be like Rebecca, but he often gives Ted exactly what he needs. Sometimes Beard knows better or has a different opinion, but Ted aside from being head coach, needs people at times to support him in his vision so he can keep believing in the best possible outcome. Beard will also give him a reality check and even in those times, words are not wasted. We found out in the Beard episode he can actually talk a lot when needed, but also is quite similar to Ted in not wanting to talk about deeper things necessarily.

That is partially due to their relationship, as I feel coach Beard behaves according to their dynamic and doesn't care about what anybody else feels or thinks about him, except Ted. Sometimes he lets his guard down a bit and just says something and they immediately show Ted's reaction, which a few times has been out of left field and unexpected coming from the Beard, judging from Ted's reaction. Ted as a coach is more likely to care about his staff as a head coach, but as a person I do believe he values Beard's opinion and what he thinks more so than anybody else too.

The scene where coach Beard was of course humiliated a bit after the loss with his trip over the boards on the side of the pitch and walked off, Ted runs after him to make sure he's okay. That was key for the audience to have that moment, since that is how we truly found out something was off and something crazy or even bad was about to happen. I personally want to know more about Beard, hence why I loved the episode, and even for the show to explore their relationship further. That could happen now that their relationship is changing, potentially. In the special episode you saw Beard's insecurity and feelings about being Ted's lackey who doesn't dare to challenge him come to the fore. Beard might not be so easy going or even overrule Ted on certain strategic decisions as a coach.

Now coach Beard being Ted's best friend, he's key to his life prior to coming to the US as well, which I feel will play a more prominent role once season 3 comes along. Especially after the last episode, when Ted realizes what his father did and more importantly didn't do, and that he actually is very similar in some ways, he's likely to get more home sick and feeling the need to be more present in his son's life. I think Ted's departure and struggle in staying or leaving will be inevitable and might be a big part of the overal arc of season 3. This could open up possibilities for the two of them to talk more, since they are best friends and Beard is the only one who truly knows Ted before coming to England. I could see it all being more subtle, as far as their relationship / dynamics of it changing.

This all depends on the continuation of Ted Lasso as well, if Jason Sudeikis already makes up his mind about continuing past season 3 before shooting, they could do some re-writing and hinting at the changes for season 4. I'd say since the reason for Jason to not to go past 3 seasons is to be more with his family and the story actually only intended to go 3 seasons, Ted's departure - after realizing he should be there for his son first and foremost - you'd assume is the reason the story is done. Hence, season 4 could be him returning home with Beard and coaching there, maybe bringing in players from AFC Richmond and or have part of the season shot in England and partially in the US. In any case, a return home with coach Beard could explore their relationship even further and I'm here for it.

#163 JW86, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

*therapist instead of Rebecca ;)

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Which character is going to break bad? Someone is going to disappoint someone. Become a villain.

The nerdy assistant coach? Keeley? Tartt (again)? Maybe Higgins is cheating on his wife - lulz. Maybe the psychiatrist? That'd be harsh. Let's **** up Ted as much as we can.

All the smiling, hugs, and rainbows. There's no real payoff if there's no pain.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

New episode tonight at 11pm.

DD

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Rick Astley Paradox...

You ask for his copy of the movie Up.

He's never going to give you Up, yet that will let you down.

9. DaDakota

Dang it .......pissed off at a Source.......watch the episode you will know.

DD

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Totally forgot that this season was 12 episodes long.

Thought the season finale was the episode last week.

11. DaDakota

One more....final episode drops next Thursday at 11pm

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Knew it.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

No idea what Nate is even thinking. It's not like if Lasso is out, Nate suddenly gets installed as the head coach. His character used to be so relatable...now, he's so unlikable.

And that's what makes him someone you love to hate. Great job by the writers and by Nick Mohammed.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can easily see Ted Lasso getting more Emmy noms and wins for this season, next year.

Couch scene with Roy and Keeley. Reading the letter scene with Ted. Funeral episode with Rebecca.

Every single actor that was nominated this year, will be nominated next year as well. For sure.

MadMax and DaDakota like this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

This was a pretty crazy episode and I think there's several reason why everything that has happened up until this point is a perfect setup on several fronts, for a finale and story arc for next season.

Ted has finally allowed Led Tasso to come out and play. The happy go lucky, all smiles, overly positive Ted has finally embraced his past and emotions through his therapy with Dr. Fieldstone. He's finally in a place where he can be more honest with himself and realize that it's okay to be negative, show anger and not be this everything is alright, as long as you try it's okay, it doesn't matter if we win or lose type of person all the time.

Doesn't mean he's not still that positive spirit who believes in the goodness of mankind, that it's all about the people and believing in each other. That there's really more to life than winning a game. Just that it's okay to have a different way of feeling about people in particular. Remember, he hasn't been angry truly with anyone, not with his wife, not with Jamie for being a tart, probably since his father. Now he's also realized through Dr. Fieldstone's way of saying goodbye that probably there's different ways to look at quitting / walking away / leaving something. I will get back to this later.

As far allowing himself to be angry, now that he's expressed it to Dr. Fieldstone - who really has become more of a friend now - I think the setup for him to be angry with Nate is perfect. Doesn't necessarily going to be him yelling, cussing Nate out etc. Still, he's probably going to be okay with being upset with Nate. It could see it playing it out in a variety of ways (some elements at least):

1. Nate shows up, stays part of the family for now. Ted stays quiet about knowing the source, and realizes he has not been paying attention to Nate as well as he should have and through some tough love will force Nate to open up. This could lead to a quick turnaround and channelling of Ted's anger in another direction, probably himself (at first). Remember he blamed himself partially for his father's unhappiness.

2. Nate will not show up and Ted while staying quiet about the source to others, will visit Nate. There Nate would be forced to confess and for this finale will be asked by Ted to stay away or come with him since the team and world needs them to see everyone together. Ted might even force Nate to confess it in front of the team. Ted could then teach the team that while he's also angry, they can all be angry, but channel it in a better way by using that to beat their opponent for the final match.

3. Ted will call Beard, maybe also Higgins and Roy to discuss the matter, revealing Nate's the source. Beard obviously makes the most sense as Ted's best friend and the one who could then tell Ted about the bullying, the odd behaviour, his need for recognition and of course that he wants to be the boss and get credit for what he's done. If the other two are there, Roy might reveal the kiss, which will lead to a decision on Nate's future with the team. A dismissal / suspension of Nate or at least being told to look for another job while maintaining a front for the outside world until the season is over seems feasible. Ted would want to stay united for that final match.

4. Ted will be angry at Nate, Nate denies having anything to do with it, forcing perhaps a confrontation with Roy and or Beard. Beard because he's the only one who's really been around for all the mistreatment of the kit boy and even confronted him about it. Roy obviously might want to make sure it's not okay what he's done and cuss him out. Obviously both are more the silent quiet types who both might simply ignore him, give him the evil eye and maybe a few words to Nate to make him realize they know what he's done.
    This show can come out of left field and do something nobody expects, but I think at least some elements from these 4 scenarios are to be expected. It all depends on how Roy feels about the kiss, how important the writers feel about Beard's relationship with Ted, and actually if Ted can actually handle the situation. It might actually be too much for him, after Dr. Fieldstone's departure, and make him fall back into old ways. Therefore, not giving in to anger at all, and be either depressed or happy go lucky.

In case of the latter, I think it would be a great setup also for Beard and Ted's relationship to be highlighted again. They've not shown them around each other as much, in fact quite the opposite, and we need them to get on the same page again. Beard has obviously been frustrated about his own behaviour as a coach and friend to Ted due to his own insecurities. Both have had breakthroughs or at least realisations that they might want to verbalize this time around. Beard would probably also want to open up about his own feelings towards winning, which is that it does matter.

That if of course now needed more than ever, since another season outside of the Premier League could be devastating for the club from a financial standpoint. This is why Rupert - Nate tied in - and Sam's parts will be key to what happens going forward. Even Jamie actually, if he still loves Keeley, he might not want to stick around watching her and Roy be all lovey-dovey. Several players also might just get contract offers from Premier League and foreign top division clubs, that if they stay relegated, might make sense for them to leave.

So whatever happens, I think there's definitely a setup for the club as a whole to be in trouble or at least that changes on several levels are going to happen. Also taking into account Rebecca's story. Depending on Sam staying or leaving, she might actually step down to take some time for herself. Higgins or Keeley could be in line to lead the club. Keeley makes sense due to her own feelings of being a boss and Higgins is just the perfect company man to lead it. He's paid his dues, moving around from office to office, and has the age, experience and knowledge to lead.

Aside from what will happen to the club on a management level, winning or losing will add to the pressure of winning next season for Ted Lasso in particular. Based on his breakthrough that he wants to be there for his son, be part of his life, I think there's a perfect setup for next season to be one where he's struggling to decide to stay or go back home. This might hinge on how things develop between him and Rebecca, though I don't see a love connection there - even though in a typical series they would definitely end up together. There's definitely an argument to be made that there's a perfect setup for them to confess their love for one another.

One thing though, I've seen people say that the office scene where Rebecca says "see you next year", to which Ted responds "cannot wait" to be the reason why they feel next year's reveal will be Rebecca confessing to Ted she loves him. I get it from a theoretical and symbolic point of view, but there was nothing in that scene itself for me to believe that love is the end game here. Rebecca really just laughed about it and I didn't see any struggle for Ted with her confession, besides the obvious that Sam is a player and Rebecca being his boss.

In any case, it's all set up for Ted to leave and step away from the game. This goes back to where I began, with Dr. Fieldstone's goodbye and understanding quitting can be looked at differently. With a changed perspective, Ted will be okay with leaving since his whole reason to accept a job was never about the opportunity to coaching soccer / football. It was to get away from his home situation, get that separation. Again, his breakthrough is a perfect setup for him to leave Richmond and go back home.

Nate's story could be tied into this as he will get redemption eventually, Ted's philosophy is key to the show's overall story. There might be some struggle next season as Ted questions it, Beard reminding him of his beliefs and that this Ted is still there, but it will stand any test and survive. Ted could see Nate as his own protege, a son if you will, that he's more than happy to allow a chance to be the head coach. There's a perfect setup for that to happen as well as maybe for Beard to be the next head coach.

This would depend on Beard's relationship with Jane, but I could see even in the event of Ted going back to the US that Beard stays due to his wish to also step out of the shadow as well as wanting to stay for Jane. Beard could coach Richmond and Nate could actually decide to coach Rupert's new team in case that happens or he gets offers from another team.

I also think if a 4th season is going to happen, which all hinges on Jason Sudeikis saying yes or no and reportedly for him it's about being more with his family - ironic how he shares that with Ted - I could see it playing out in both the US and England. Then of course it would make sense for Beard to go back with him, which can happen in any scenario.

Somehow would be a perfect setup again and poetic that these 2 Americans come in for 3 seasons to England, broadcasting for all to see and then the show stops when they leave, leaving it up to the English pro's to handle their business again. That's all I have for now, but surely there's more, like Jamie and his father, Sam and his father (home), Roy and Keeley - will they, won't do - and even for Dr. Fieldstone to come back next season in some form, but I'll leave that for you all to unpack and share here if you want to :)

Thoughts? :)

xcrunner51 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

Great post - just so much thought there......I believe you probably are correct, but just going to wait and see.

I do think Trent's article will backfire on Nate, I think it will make the fans love Ted more.

DD

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ok, just finished the last episode. Thoughts are, as follows.

Trent Crimm:
    Lasso touched on mental health in athletics in the postgame press conference. Crimm was fired due to revealing his source about the mental health issue Lasso had. I hope they make Crimm a more featured character next season. Easy segue into the team? Have Crimm be a team reporter or something.

Ted and Nate:
    First question that comes to mind: Did I miss something?? I get that Nate might not be too keen on Lasso for some stuff, but to absolutely try to destroy Lasso's rep and blow up at him in the office just because...just because Ted didn't put up some pictures and wanted to try Nate's strategy to win a game? A strategy that Ted then let the players decide if they wanted to keep utilizing at halftime?

It seems like Nate went from 0-100 real damn fast for the most trivial of reasons. To Nate's point - when did Ted make Nate feel important and then abandon him? What episode was that in? Great acting by Nick Mohammed, but I was really confused where the motivations came from.

Keeley and Roy:
    I get the relationship dynamic shift - woman is now the one that works a lot and has no time for the man, while the man has too much time. But you're really going to plan out a 6-week vacation for you and your SO, and not consult with the SO beforehand? Their relationship has been roses up to this point, so it seems weird that there was a lack of communication, here.

Nate:
    Obviously was hired for Rupert's West Ham team because he'd have the most knowledge of the Richmond playbook and how to mess with Rebecca, Ted and Richmond. But installing him as the coach, when all his resume includes is being the lowest rung of Lasso's cabinet? You're not just coaching against Richmond. And I don't think Nate's style is conducive to coaching other human beings, at all. It's hard to figure out what to do with Nate's character at this point, but that's a bit of lazy writing, imo.

Sam:
    Honestly, I wish Sam would have gone with Edwin, if it's just to insert a new dynamic into the show for season 3. Have Sam realize that Richmond (and Rebecca) was where his heart lied. With Sam's departure, a new personality could have been introduced into season 3. Then when Sam tries to come back, there could have been friction between the two, thus giving another dynamic. We could also see how Lasso flexes his coaching/mentor muscles to try and solve that situation.

BigM likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Also, best moment in episode 12:

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I too hope they build up Crimm's character and storyline though I think his character's apex was probably reached when he told Ted who the anonymous source was. I am fine if Crimm's last appearance on this show was because he showed humanistic integrity above journalistic integrity. Lot of growth from season 1 and 2 for Crimm

I have to admit my blood was boiling during that whole interaction. Nate breaking bad came full circle when he got that advice from Keeley about seizing the opportunity though his interpretation of it was way off. As for his blow up with Ted in this episode, it's evident that he can't handle pressure when things don't go his way. He scoffed and rolled his eyes as Ted rallied the troops when they ignore the (logical) choice of switching up their strategy and keep going with a strategy that was getting nowhere. This is where Nate's day will come in Season 3--he don't have the intrapersonal skills and empathy to make himself a successful coach when times are tough (e.g. when his game planning doesn't work out). As a parent, I really wanted to punch him through my TV when he brought Ted's son into the conversation.

This part got me too..I remember some small slights earlier in the season but nothing that SHOULD have caused this entire meltdown and breaking bad to occur. I think from an allegorical POV it's probably trying to convey that Ted was a father figure to Nate, one that actually provided the positive feedback that his real father never did. But when Ted stopped petting Nate on the head for everything he do, Nate's internal anger for his dad manifested into the rage he had for Ted. I think Nick will win an Emmy and/or Golden Globe next season

As much as I enjoyed them as a couple it always felt like the writers/cosmos were finding ways to create chaos/conflict in their relationship just for ***** and giggles. My guess: Rupert hires Keeley to be his PR person for his team, Nate gets a bit too handsy with Keeley, chaos ensues, and Roy will find companionship with his niece's teacher.

For all his dickishness and treachery, Nate really knows the Xs and Os for football. I wouldn't be surprised if next season has him coaching West Ham to the top of the standings. I also hope that his eventual downfall will be at the hands of Richmond at the end of the season, culminating in the moral that, no matter how intelligent you are or how much you can game plan or strategize, the human touch is the ultimate weapon

I agree in that he should have left because it would give more opportunities for the other players/characters to develop. Like Jamie, for example. He became more of an accessory this season and not as one of the main players we saw in season 1. Dani could use more screen time as well. While I wanted Sam and Rebecca to stay together I'm not feeling this Ross and Rachel push and pull that the writers are trying/forcing into the show

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

One more thing...

Nate's hair. Like that shouldn't be lost to any fan of this show. He went from having a head of jet black hair to Gandalf in a matter of, what, 2 years? That kind of stress is definitely not good and I wonder if the writes intentionally did that to work into a story for Nate next season