1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ted Lasso Best show on TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 1, 2020.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Need me some season 3 already.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wife and I watched this over the past few weeks. A+

Best 'feel good' show, ever.
    Great sports show
    Loved watching British people
    Ted's ex-wife is a b****
    It got a little too rom-com towards the end of the second season
    Nate is a little b****
    Roy is hilarious
    Keely had this strange two-face thing going on, but she won me over with her personality
    Love it, can't wait for S3

#222 Xerobull, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    jchu14 and CCorn like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Is she though? Sometimes people just grow apart. She stayed with him even though she wasnt happy. Ted realized it and finally let her go, even though he was still emotionally attached.

Nate being a b**** is totally agreed upon.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Yeah she's a b****, especially the way she was pestering him to sign the papers. Ted is the greatest guy ever and there's a kid involved. It's not like the household his a toxic environment. I personally think that once you have kids, which is the ultimate responsibility and commitment, your primary objective in life is to give them the best upbringing possible. There are situations where divorce is unavoidable but you make it work in most cases for the kid's sake, at least until they are adults. Suck it up, it doesn't have to be all bad.

donkeypunch likes this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This is such an enjoyable show. I started watching it yesterday and I didn't want to stop. I'm only on episode 6 of the first season, but it's very likeable.

It's not LOL funny. There's good humor and silliness to it. The characters are all entertaining and well-written, same with the plot.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I was acquaintances with the creator/co star, Brendan Hunt. I went to one his plays in 2012, which also had the actor from "The Anderson got tickets to the game" League Pass Commercial. He also directed a play in 2015, called "King of Kong the Musical" starring Amber from the Seth Myers show. It was a very talented theater group in LA. Everyone knew that Brendan was going to be big, but I didn't think he would be this big.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I binge watched both seasons over the span of about 4 days last week. It’s been great, but wasn’t sold on the heel turn by Nate. How much of a miserable little **** do you have to be to hate Ted the way he does at the end of season 2? Just hard to believe. They could have maybe mixed in some scenes where Ted was being a jerk towards him, but Ted was basically wonderful to everyone when he wasn’t having little temper tantrums against the psychiatrist.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Rupert is behind it all.

9. durvasa

Did they ever show him interacting with Nate, or do we just assume that because Nate ends up on his team at the end?

10. Xerobull

At least once he’s whispering into Nate’s ear.

durvasa likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ted basically replaced Nate with Roy in the second season. Nate reacted like a jilted lover when he wasn't getting attention he viewed that he deserved. Ted may have treated everyone else wonderful, but he, from Nate's POV, left Nate out after bringing him into his circle the season before.

durvasa likes this.
  12. durvasa

Right, I forgot that Nate didn't react well to Roy joining the coaching staff.

13. Duncan McDonuts

As much as I enjoyed watching the show for its characters, I felt like there wasn't enough focus on the soccer plot in the second season.

Invisible Fan and Sajan like this.
  14. Xerobull

Shows that are a hit in their first season tend to crank up the drama for season two for some unknown reason. See For All Mankind as another example.

Sajan likes this.
  15. Duncan McDonuts

I'm working my way through For All Mankind at the moment. I'm on episode 9 of the first season. There's a good mix of plot and character drama. I read from the Clutchfans thread that season 2 can be a slog to get through.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Ted Lasso and his soccer team are in FIFA 23 — officially
    AFC Richmond and all the gang are available in Career, Ultimate Team, and more

By Owen S. Good Sep 21, 2022, 11:00am EDT
    0 Comments / 0 New
    Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)

Ted Lasso is in FIFA 23. So are Sam Obisanya, Dani Rojas, and the rest of AFC Richmond, the fictional English football club in Apple TV Plus’ Emmy-winning, feel-good comedy-drama.

Electronic Arts and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced the crossover for EA Sports’ global best-seller on Wednesday, and it’s a lot more robust than earlier rumors had suggested. Lasso (Jason Sudeikis) is available as a manager in Career Mode for AFC Richmond or any other side. Players may also create their own pro and join AFC Richmond in Career, playing in any league they choose.

Even Richmond’s fictional home stadium, Nelson Road (which, in real life, is Crystal Palace’s Selhurst Park) will appear in FIFA 23. It and the Greyhounds’ roster will be available in the Kickoff (one-off matches) Online Friendlies, and Online Seasons mode.

FIFA 23 preview: EA’s last FIFA will be its biggest ever, developers vow[/paste:font]
    “It is so f***ing cool to be in FIFA,” Brett Goldstein, who portrays the famously foul-mouthed Kent, said in a statement that was censored by EA, not us. “I’m not sure this is going to help dispel the CGI rumours but, f*** it, totally worth it.”

Goldstein is referring to a weird Internet conspiracy theory/meme that posits Roy Kent is entirely a CGI creation and his actor does not exist. (For the record, Goldstein has insisted he is “a completely real, normal, human man,” who does “normal, human, basic things, like rendering and buffering.”)

Anyway, “I look forward to beating my nephew in a game with me as Roy Kent and him as Jamie Tartt,” Goldstein said. “He’s gonna be furious.” Though Kent retired from Richmond and became a (foul-mouthed) analyst for Sky Sports in Ted Lasso season 2, he will be on their starting 11 in FIFA 23.

Lasso himself, Jason Sudeikis, said he is a fan of EA Sports’ soccer franchise and called the inclusion, “truly a dream come true for myself and the rest of the fellas.”

“Our cast and crew work tremendously hard on this show, and we are flattered that it resonates with so many folks,” Sudeikis said. “We look forward to our fans having the opportunity to play with, play as, and even play against their favorite AFC Richmond characters.”

EA Sports added that additional AFC Richmond content will be available in the Football Ultimate Team and Pro Clubs modes — including, yes, manager items for both Lasso and Coach Beard. Players will also be able to kit their virtual sides in Richmond uniforms, play at Nelson Road, and hang Greyhound banners and tifos in the seats.

Players and fans have previously modded the club in or built homages to Sudeikis’ character in career modes, but this will be the first time AFC Richmond appears in the series’ main lineup of clubs.

At the 74th Primetime Emmy Awards on Sept. 12, Ted Lasso and its cast won Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Sudeikis), Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Goldstein), and Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series, out of 20 nominations overall. The third season of Ted Lasso does not yet have a premiere date.

FIFA 23 launches Sept. 27, 2022 on Google Stadia, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X, with some features on current-generation versions not available on other platforms.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So this show had been on my list to watch for a while now and finally got around to it this past Friday. Loved it so much I binge watched all of seasons 1 and 2 over the course of the weekend and am now caught up.

I will say I agree that the Nate turn felt weird. I think the turn itself wasn't unearned, they left a lot of breadcrumbs to make it obvious that he was unhappy and definitely ambitious. I just felt like how he articulated his hatred of Ted during that last conversation felt strange. Like you are upset because you feel like Ted ignores you? Huh? He never had any one-on-one interactions with him in season 2 but he was never really shown to ignore him and Ted hasn't been shown to be a character that would just totally freeze out someone, so it just didn't feel right.

I feel like it would have made more sense if he just exclusively focused on the "I'm an actual football strategist and you're a Tony Robbins clone joke of a coach" type rant. Then it is all about his ambition. But that was a relatively small nit to pick. I loved virtually every minute of seasons 1 and 2 (even the two filler episodes).

I've never really liked Jason Sudeikis (with the lone exception of Horrible Bosses), but this show is making me reconsider that. He has been great. Though everyone is cast really well, it seems. The writing and the casting are the obvious strengths of this show. They've really nailed all the characters. Can't wait for season 3.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This pretty well explains the Nate turn.

TLDR....a bunch of microaggressions.

You're the first person I've ever heard say they didn't like Jason Sudeikis. I'm sure there are some but I've just never heard it. I've personally liked most everything he's done.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

That's akin to not liking Paul Rudd...I'm thinking "how?"

leroy likes this.
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I read that tweet. I think my biggest issues is where the actor talks about how we don't see any one-on-one conversations between Nate and Ted for the entire season. Am I as a viewer really meant to then assume that means they haven't interacted one-on-one at all that entire time? That feels a little bit of a stretch to me. Everything else in that tweet works and I'm fine with, but the "you abandoned me" bit just didn't feel right and the only in show justification of those feelings is what is apparently NOT shown.

It's not that I disliked Sudeikis as a person. I just didn't think he was that funny during his SNL years. The only thing he was in prior to Horrible Bosses that I saw was The Rocker. He was fine in that but he played a sleazy record studio exec, so you really weren't meant to like him and he wasn't in it that much anyway.

Kind of similar to my opinion of Will Ferrell. I never liked him when he was in SNL, but once he started making movies I loved him.

Maybe I just really hate Saturday Night Live.