1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TECH] Microsoft Origami

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Svpernaut, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

http://www.origamiproject.com/1/
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/09/technology/microsoft_origami.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

[​IMG]

Microsoft is also coming out with some kind of multimedia service to go along with the Origami named Alexandria...
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/07/microsoft-alexandria/

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Member

I hope it does well, but other then being a smaller laptop I don’t really see what niche this will fall into for the general consumer.. this comes off as a business product wrapped up in a general consumer marketing campaign...

3. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Member

i guess pocket pcs and palms arnt good enough anymore....

4. emjohn

emjohn Member

It's totally heading off ipod at the pass. It won't replace laptops, but it will kill as an ultimate PDA. It seriously blows the upcoming touchscreen video ipod out of the water.

Evan

5. hz10

hz10 Member

I don't think so. It's too big to fit in any pockets. It like the dead Newton from Apple.

I will stick to my notebook.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Stupid name. Isn't it supposed to fold up and hide away and entertain kids? This POS gadget doesn't. Come out with an original name, MocoSoft... :mad:

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

This sounds an awful lot like the Gizmondo but with an extra kick but larger. DaDa what do you think about it?

I also think with prices between $500 and $1000 it is a bit much. I feel that I can do almost all of the same things with my pda phone. I know the screen is nicer and there are full versions of software on it but when you are out and about do you really need all of that?

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

I think it is a tech-guy's wet dream. I've owned 4 iPods now and while I loved the fact they play music and videos, I've alway wished they could do more... with something like this I can head to a sports bar and watch a game, and cruise the net at the same time without having to lug around a laptop. I can use it as an MP3 player for the car or on the go, use it as a mobile storage device and so much mure. I can literally see myself using this thing all day everday. It isn't going to be for everyone but it is what I look for in my portable electronics... I've always sold my iPods in the past because they lacked fuctionality that I wanted, this looks right up my alley.

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Have you looked into the new pda phones? They can do all of that and it fits in your pocket. Plus they are cheaper.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

I have a BlackBerry and hate it for anything other then a phone and email... using a phone-sized player to browse the web and navigate for files, videos and MP3s sucks to say the least. I want my phone to be a phone and my computer to be a computer. When it comes to my gadgets, price really isn't a problem.

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I've never liked the Blackberry's myself but thats because I typically prefer Microsoft products. Its not that I'm a microsoft fanboy, I just feel that they integrate together better than other products. You might want to check out Windows Mobile 5.0 because it is MUCH easier to use than some of the earlier products especially Internet Explorer. Browsing the web used to be a hassle on my previous phone but I really like it now. On my phone (Cingular 8125) it has an integrated keyboard which I love. I would hate to have to input everything via a touchscreen. That would really suck. I don't know if you have checked out any of the new products but I would definitely give them a chance.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

[​IMG]

This puppy has a touchscreen keyboard that I'd take over a num-pad any day... I have users with all different makes and models of PDAs and PDA/Phones, once again I take my laptop with me when I know I am going somewhere I need it, this is a great option for me. My Blackberry is a phone that happens to have Blackberry and not the other way around (7105t)... I want my phone to be a managable size because I ALWAYS have it on me so I can't stand PDA-sized phones, even the new slimmer ones are still bulky without offering that much more screen space.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

After seeing the video on this website (right side of page) I am definately getting one!

http://www.umpc.com

15. lalala902102001

Microsoft is going downhill fast these days.

16. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

I can't really see something that size becoming popular. What are we going to do, get man purses to cart it around in?

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

It's European!

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

Also, head to www.umpc.com and you'll see that not all of them are going to be that large. Watch the video, I want the one the guy sitting in the waiting room is using :eek:

[​IMG]

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

Bigger than a PPC (less portability) and smaller than a laptop (less performance) is No Man's Land, IMO. Plus, I hear the battery life is like 2 hours tops. Ugh. I think I'll stick to my Tablet PC (although I wish I had touchscreen tech).

Would make for a b****ing all-purpose game emulator, though... :)

20. fba34

fba34 Member

until someone snatches it from you and you're trying to get a cop's attention