1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tech Help] Upgrading Laptop Wireless Card

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Aug 5, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

After Comcast increased their speeds over the weekend I decided to upgrade my wireless router to a Asus RT-N66R. My old Netgear n300 router just couldn't keep up. After installing the new router, I'm now able to get 80+ up over wifi on my iPad and iPhone. But my laptop is a different story.

I'm only getting 60-65 up max on the laptop over wifi, but when wired it gets 110+. After some research I learned that the laptop has an Intel Wireless-N 7260 card, which is single band 2.4ghz. Is this why the speed is lagging?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P55-A5312, that I just bought earlier this year. I knew I was cutting corners when I bought it, but this is the first time that it's really bit me. So can I upgrade the current single band card to a dual one like this: Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI Express combo Adapter?

I don't think that the Asus router that I bought is ac compatible, but the price difference between the wireless cards that I've seen with/without it is negligible. I know that I don't necessarily NEED the faster speed, but I think it would be something inexpensive and fun to do. I've done some research on how to access the card and I feel comfortable doing it.

Anyone have any advise, suggestions, things I should look out for? Will that particular card fit and work? If not, what would you suggest? I'd really like to have dual band and Bluetooth. Is there anywhere here in Houston that I can go to buy it, checked online at Fry's but couldn't find anything.

2. famicom

famicom Member

Briefly looking through the specs, it looks like the router will send out the max speeds using 5ghz in which your wifi card only accepts 2.4ghz. Your ipad and iphone devices both are probably using 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

1 person likes this.
  3. famicom

famicom Member

Also your wifi card specs shows connection speeds up to 300mbs and the router shows up to 900mbs.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ok... Thanks, and repped.

Any thoughts on changing the wireless card?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Your connection speed will be as fast as the lowest speed on any of the sending or receiving ends.

You probably don't need a new card. They're "future-enabled" to handle extremely fast wi-fi speeds. :cool:

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I changed my wireless card on my Toshiba Portege R835. It's an easy process. Just open up the screws, you'll likely have to take the bottom shell off.

Find the wireless card. Unhook both antennas and unscrew it, then replace it with the new one, connect the antennas, and close it back up. It's very simple and there are likely picture guides of your model on the internet.

I think I bought my wireless card off Amazon. It was supposed to have better gain on the router with slightly faster speeds. I don't think I noticed much difference.

You're likely better off upgrading your router first. I see that you have the Asus N66R. Learn how to increase the signal speeds and how to position the antennas for your house/apartment. Try optimizing your router first.

I haven't really noticed any significant increases in my wireless range or speeds. But I don't regret doing the upgrade. The chip cost $30 or so and I like tinkering with my electronics.