1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tebow to Speak at Controversial Church

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Big MAK, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1534600-tim-tebow-to-speak-at-controversial-church?hpt=hp_c3

What's his motive? Are they offering him a lot of money or something? I know he's religious, but going to a more extreme church seems odd.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I read about this yesterday. Unless he's going to come out against Jeffress' previous comments, you kind of have to assume that he agrees with them...or that he's a fake as most people believe and this is all an act for the love of money. There's really no good outcome for agreeing to speak at this particular place.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I wonder if he pulls out if this gets much scrutiny.

4. Major

Major Member

I don't think you have to agree with everything someone says to speak to a group associated with them. The whole idea of faith in general is to share it with people of different viewpoints. For Tebow, this is an opportunity to speak to a huge group of Christians and share whatever he intends to share. I'm sure more people will dislike him for it, but I'm not sure that's really what motivates him.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Saying people are on extreme opposites of the spectrum and either love or hate Tebow is extreme in itself. There are a lot of people who don't give a care about the guy, like myself.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, assuming this is true....then I don't care.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This says a lot about Tebow and not in a good way.

I mean, who would go to Dallas?

1 person likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Leave contraceptives and sex ed out of this. I'm getting out of here before you get us all banned!

[​IMG]

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There isn't a church in America...no matter how nuts...that I wouldn't go speak to. I guess I don't view speaking at a place as an endorsement of it. If I only spoke with and to people I agreed with on every issue, I'd be pretty lonely.

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Westboro?

12. MadMax

I'd absolutely speak to those people. I can't stand what they stand for...but would I use the chance to speak to them? Absolutely. I'm not so perfect that I can't speak with other people I disagree with. :) And I certainly don't think I've got it all right.

If the model is Jesus, I can't see him running from a tough crowd. Westboro wouldn't like to hear what I have to say...but I wouldn't say no to the opportunity to say it.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

14. MadMax

I don't even remotely understand that, B-Bob, because I'm not a Left Coast ivory tower polo shirt-hating Lincecum-loving professorial scruffy looking nerf herder.

You're officially on ignore except when you're not which is all the time. #DealWithIt

Please come to Houston so I can buy you a beer.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Read more of MadMax's posts at #BeWell.org

16. MadMax

You must spread more cheetahs before you can rep more kings or something.

1 person likes this.
  17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You are much more patient than I.

If I spoke to Westboro, I am pretty sure there would be violence at some point. The fact that they dedicate their lives to the Bible and have managed to completely miss the point is infuriating. You can only spew such hatred at me for so long before the fists start flying. The fact that they think that God wants people dead because they aren't going Old Testament on gays is just maddening.

Oh, and I do disagree with you on one point. You are judged by the associations you keep. In this world, perception is reality. The perception is that, if a group is willing to have you in as a speaker, you must have enough in common with them for them to be comfortable with it. Therefore, you must be pretty much on the same page.

18. MadMax

I agree you can be judged by associations you keep....the religious leaders weren't too cool with Jesus hanging out with prostitutes and tax collectors.

But I don't think speaking to a group is necessarily associating with them...particularly if your message is true to what you believe and doesn't play to them. You don't have to "preach to the choir" every time you preach. Speaking to a group isn't joining that group.

I hope I'd have the courage to speak in front of a group like Westboro.

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't doubt that you could. You are a very level headed guy. I know that, for myself, my blood runs too hot. It doesn't make me worse or better, it just makes us different.

Tebow is a public figure. When he speaks at a church, it will be plastered on the news. The perception will be that he endorses that group. He needs to be very careful.

20. MadMax

I understand...I agree he's a public figure. I don't care if he speaks to this particular church or not, honestly. I think he could be very clear that he doesn't adopt every position the church takes and speak to them nonetheless. We've used Westboro church as an example...this isn't Westboro we're talking about. It's not a church I'd be a part of, frankly...but he has a unique position to go into a church like this, earn their respect and share his views on topics they might disagree on.