1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Team USA Gymnastics Coach sexual assault lawsuit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Oct 27, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree. Praising certain witnesses, berating a defendant... awful, awful historical links for that behavior. Not how we should want our justice system to look, even for the slimiest perps.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I have no idea if there is precedent for this type of trial, or if it's common, but the whole thing just seems weird. Victims allowed to shame a defendant for over a month it feels like for what purpose? Is it basically the judge trying to act as a psychologist to the victims, and let them talk about their feelings and confront the abuser? Doesn't seem like something a judge should take part in. You'd think the above incident would kind of put an end to it.

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Damn, dude got took down quick. Them some fast ass cops.

Sajan likes this.
  5. Cranberry_Juice

I feel the same way. Judges should not conduct their courtroom this way. This looks like the Jerry Springer show.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Whatever. Dude had TWO daughters that were affected by Nassar. TWO. No way I'll believe that neither of them told their dad what happened after it happened/way before Nassar was brought to justice. It's now in court that the dad wants to go after Nassar for show? He didn't pull up on Nassar when he first heard about what the guy had done but now he wants to charge him while in court. Mmmhmm.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Why would you find it hard to believe that teenage girls wouldn’t tell their dad what happened to them? That’s not surprising.

heypartner and Yung-T like this.
  8. GIGO

GIGO Member

TMac'n and Yung-T like this.
  9. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

He actually had 3 daughters abused by Nassar. And yes, it is very easy to believe he had no idea. Over 100 girls were abused & never spoke up about it. The ones who spoke up were the absolute minority & that's how these things tend to go. That one survivor, Kyle Stephens, told her parents & they didn't believe her. It's usually easier for victims to stay quiet.

10. ferrari77

But how? Explain to me how over 100 were abused and you're telling me never spoke about it. I did read about one who spoke about it and her dad didn't believe her and later he committed suicide.
    So the minority that did speak about it to their parents, are we saying all those parents that heard about it from their kids(the minority that spoke out) all refused to believe their daughters?
    I get that it's easier for victims to stay quiet but over 100 girls. There'd have to be rumors about Nassar's methods.
    Just craziness. Craziness.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I believe that 100 women could be abused and nobody talks about it. People are in denial everyday, about being sick, hiding shiot that happens to them, covering up. And you saw this happen with the Church, you saw it in Hollywood, at Penn St, you see it at Michigan State, you see it everywhere. And you see innocent and good people hiding the truth for whatever reason. I do it. The first thing it shows you is that it happens all the time. The second thing it shows you is that the evil is everywhere, not just in the church, or where the media wants to portray it. And lastly, it shows us that unfortunately the large majority of humans even when victimized or hurt, want to live the illusion, and ignore the truth of what happened to them. It's embarrassing to us. painful. Avoidable. It's why we don't go see the doctor, why we can't admit our flaws, why we just plain want to keep it inside. What's brilliant about the next generation is that the truth is unavoidable due to technology, so the need to have an image vs the inability to have it is going be an interesting human transition.

RunninRaven, Jontro and ferrari77 like this.
  12. ferrari77

I don't find it hard to believe that A teenage girl wouldn't tell their mom or dad. I find it hard to believe that out of over 100, only one or two would tell their parents.

13. VanityHalfBlack

So 2020 is around the corner, Is everyone associated with Team USA Gymnastic fired? They basically have to start from scratch, A lot of rebuilding and a change of mindset in that team for sure.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That’s still not even remotely surprising.

15. ferrari77

I guess to me it is that not more than one out of 100 would tell their mother or father. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would also agree with you that it's not surprising though. Just crazy to me.

Edit. Just read the NYT report. so 265 girls.
    One of them did inform her parents and her mother said she wasn't contacted by the FBI between 2015 and 2016 when the FBI first began investigating him and the point at which the Indianapolis Star exposed Nassar. So that's another parent that knew about it(apart from the one whose father commited suicide after realizing he should have believed his daughter).
    It also appears that Mckayla Maroney and Aly Raisman's parents knew about it but waited to see what the FBI would do...which was nothing for quite a while.
    Raisman and Maroney's dad didnt do a thing . Maroney's family did sue USA Gymnastics before it got to this point but still.

Kudos to the Indy Star again for exposing Nassar and USA Gymnastics/Michigan State.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/sports/nassar-fbi.html

#35 ferrari77, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Well, that whole scene is strong all around, from the dad to the judge.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Michigan State to pay Larry Nassar victims $500 million in settlements

Michigan State University has settled hundreds of lawsuits filed against it by the survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual assaults.

The settlement will cost the school at least $500 million.

Attorney James White, who represents dozens of women who sued the university, confirmed the settlement.

He said $425 million is to be paid now and $75 million will be held in reserve.

White said this is a chance for the women to begin to move forward.

“I don’t think they can ever be made whole, but this is a step in the right direction,” he said.

The settlement will be was announced Wednesday, after the Detroit Free Press published the news of the settlement, following two days of closed-door mediation sessions between lawyers for the university and the survivors.

The terms of the settlement are as follows:

• $425 million dollars will be paid to current claimants;

• $75 million dollars will be set aside in a trust fund to protect any future claimants alleging sexual abuse by Larry Nassar

"There will be no confidentiality agreements or non-disclosure agreements attached to the settlement," according to a joint press release from the survivors and the university. "Additionally, the parties must act to address items necessary to finalize the agreement. The settlement applies to only Michigan State University and MSU individuals sued in the litigation. It does not address claims against USA gymnastics, the United States Olympic Committee, Bela and Martha Karolyi, Twistars, John Geddert or any other parties.

Survivor’s attorney John Manly said “This historic settlement came about through the bravery of more than 300 women and girls who had the courage to stand up and refuse to be silenced. We appreciate the diligent efforts of Mick Grewal and the survivors’ attorneys across the nation who worked to obtain this measure of justice and healing. We also thank the mediator and all who participated in crafting this settlement. It is the sincere hope of all of the survivors that the legacy of this settlement will be far reaching institutional reform that will end the threat of sexual assault in sports, schools and throughout our society.”

"Michigan State is pleased that we have been able to agree in principle on a settlement that is fair to the survivors of Nassar's crimes,” said Robert Young, special counsel to MSU. “We appreciate the hard work both sides put into the mediation, and the efforts of the mediator, which achieved a result that is responsible and equitable.”

Penn State University paid out $109 million to 35 victims in the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Spartan male athletes are gonna be like: "How come the girls get paid and we don't!?!"

Air Langhi likes this.
  19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So from what I understand, he was able to get away with it in part because he utilized what is actually a real medical technique to cover his abuse. Some girls had issues that were actually solved with this technique, but he used it when he didn't need to on almost all of them.

That way, if someone went to another Doctor and described the procedure, that Doctor would agree that it was a valid medical technique.

20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Can you imagine being a Michigan State alum, and this is where your booster donations are going?