1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Team that should have won the title for sure that year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ramu3, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Since this is a Rockets board , obviously there will be tremendous amounts of picks for Rockets teams . For interesting purposes please leave Rockets teams out of this !!

Pick one season , one team .Don't pick multiple seasons or multiple teams.

2001 - 02 Sacramento Kings

2. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

Pistons should have beat Spurs in 05.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

This is the one team that really stands out. They were completely screwed over by the refs for an entire quarter in game 6 and still nearly finished off the Lakers. I'll never forget when Mike Bibby was called for a foul because his face assaulted Kobe Bryant's elbow.

Another team that faced some very questionable calls in a game that would have completely changed the complexion of a series was the 2006 Mavs against Miami.

The 2004 Lakers should have beaten the Pistons in the Finals, but they have only themselves to blame that they didn't. Of course, they only got there because of a ridiculous call in Game 5 against the Spurs that tipped that earlier series in their favor. I don't care what the league says, there is no way that Derek Fisher could catch the ball, turn all the way around, run into the stands to drink a beer, and come back to the court for his "game winner" in 0.4 seconds.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Suns in 2006-2007, strictly my opinion but if Horry doesn't body check Nash and gets Amar'e to jump off the bench..I THINK they win the series and go on to win the title that year. There are no assurances they finish of the series but they had the momentum and had the Spurs off-balance but it gave the Spurs a HUGE advantage.

#4 rockets934life, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1987-88 Detroit Pistons, definitely, they were a better team in that series than the Lakers and that Game 7 was . . . like any other close game 7 in LA.

1998-99 Utah Jazz, ummm . . . scratch this one, they were who we thought were, I just hated how the media was already crowning them, since MJ retired again with the Bulls being dismantled literally in 2 months.

6. clippy

clippy Member

The Lakers were gifted 20+ 4th q FTs in three essentially championship games: Game 7 2000 WCF, Game 6 2002 WCF, and Game 7 2010 Finals. Interpret however you'd like.

7. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

2005 Suns, 2006 Suns, 2007 Suns. All 3 years they were the clear title favorites and they choked.

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

My interpretation is you're mad :grin:

9. clippy

clippy Member

I just think it's somewhat "unusual" that the same team would get 20+ FTs in must-win situations of three separate critical 4th quarters. Can you even find another game-- regular season, playoffs, whatever-- where that has happened?

10. clippy

clippy Member

They weren't title favorites in any of those years.

11. ThaShark316_28

2006-07 Suns choked.

8 point lead with 5 mins left at home. Series tied 2-2. They had SA beat w/o Amare...and STILL blew it.

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Those King teams in the late 90's and early 2000's were fun to watch. Its ashame the officiating had to screw them over in that la series

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody mentioned the 99-00 Blazers. They blew a 15-pt lead in the 4th in game 7. They would have easily beaten the weak Eastern conference champ Pacers.

14. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

'04 Spurs

Champs in '03 and '05

Fisher's .4 second miracle changed the script

15. Rezbama

Rezbama Member

most of the lakers/celtics game 7 could've gone either way. Im sure early on the league favored Celtics

16. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

not to be too cliché...08-09 Rockets...even if Yao went down and Deke didn't, or vice versa

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

One or more of the Sixers' teams from 1977 to 1982.

18. Asian Sensation

This. That Blazers team was 8 deep and they had a good mix of veterans and young talent. They were lacking a true Superstar but they had one on the cusp in Sheed and a former one in Pippen surrounded by a bunch of other players that knew their role and brought different aspects to the game.

Rasheed Wallace was just entering his prime and he had the talent to hang with Duncan and KG. He just never had the work ethic or drive to be the best.

Steve Smith was a very underrated guard throughout his career and he was one of the good guys on the team and kept things together.

Scottie Pippen (Yea we all hate him) brought championship experience and was faced with guarding Kobe who really came into his own.

Stoudamire was quick and he was able to penetrate and knock down the 3 as well.

Arvydas Sabonis well past his prime was still a passing machine that could shoot and provided a big body to try and slow down Shaq.

Then they brought Brian Grant, Detleff Schrempf, Bonzi Wells and Greg Anthony off the bench. This is more trivial than anything because he didn't play much but they also had a very very young Jermaine O'neal deep on the depth charts.

Definitely one of the most talented teams that could and should have won it.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

You have an interesting way of remembering things.

The Suns had the best record in 2005. You could definitely say they were the favorites that year. I remember Joe Johnson getting seriously injured in the conference finals, although I don't remember how big an effect that had on the series.

In 2006 and 2007, the Suns did not have the best record in the west. They were certainly not the clear title favorites. You must just remember it that way because it makes the pain of them spanking your boy Kobe a little less if they were the clear favorites. :p

20. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The Seattle Supersonics teams in the early 90's...

92-93
    Gary Payton
    Shawn Kemp
    Nate McMillian
    Sam Perkins
    Derrick McKey
    Michael Cage
    Benoit Benjamin
    Eddie Johnson
    Ricky Pierce

Playoffs:
    Lost NBA Western Conference Finals (4-3) versus Phoenix Suns
    Won NBA Western Conference Semifinals (4-3) versus Houston Rockets
    Won NBA Western Conference First Round (3-2) versus Utah Jazz

and later (93-94)...
    Detlef Schrempf

That 92-93 squad would easily dominate the NBA these days. As a Rockets fan, I remember dreading facing those guys in the playoffs. Their ridiculous size was always a problem to the Rockets. Sam Perkins seemed to always stand out on the three point line with the dagger waiting to sink it. In my opinion, that 92-93 team may be one of the greatest teams of all-time that never delivered a title.

I hate having basketball in OKC. There should be a team in Seattle.