1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teachers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Sep 16, 2015.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Did she pay into SS during that time?

That's $30,000.00 a year in passive income guaranteed for life. It's not inconsiderable benefit at all. It's a tremendous benefit. You would need roughly $600,000 invested to earn that much passive income a year. I doubt most people have that.

Most 70 year olds don't even have anywhere close to that.

https://www.northwesternmutual.com/...does-the-average-70-year-old-have-in-savings/

I'm glad to hear you earned a nice living. SS can get up to like $4,200 a month. So yea, your SS benefits can certainly exceed a $2500 pension. Average SS benefits are only $1,700 a month though I believe.

2. HTM

HTM Member

So... the American public education system would fall into this category...

You literally just admitted all government agencies have them ^^^ ....

We spend the 2nd most amount of money per pupil in the world and yet still have teachers underpaid and teachers buying school supplies.... clearly there's a disconnect there... It's obvious there's an inefficiency in the allocation of resources... just because I cannot specifically identify them and how to remedy them doesn't mean they don't exist... you even admitted they exist in all government agencies? Well what are they in the public school system? Can you not specifically identify all of them?

I engage with very many people and rarely call anyone a dick. Congratulations to you. Perhaps that could lead you to reflect upon your conduct. I somehow doubt it though.

@NewRoxFan

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

From @Deckard article.

When it comes to retirement funding, a majority of states pay into both a pension plan and Social Security. Texas is in the minority of states that only pays into a pension fund and does not pay into Social Security for the majority of its teachers — which means most Texas teachers won’t have access to Social Security benefits when they retire. Fewer than 50 of the state’s districts participate in Social Security on their own.

Sounds to me like Texas ****s their teachers. $30k is not a great benefit, considering that you been stating that teachers get GREAT benefits. You know what's a great benefit, someone like a City employee that use to be on Plan A of the City's pension plans and would receive 80% of their highest 3 years salary at 30 years. That's a ****ing great benefit, this one, although nice, is still shitty. Yeah, some people don't even get that amount, that doesn't make this a great benefit.

It's 50% of her current pay for goodness sakes.

#243 ElPigto, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

First, I don't care what you think about me or the way I post. I encourage people that don't like my posts to make use of the Ignore feature. If you can't handle having your posts challenged then it would be good to use the Ignore. Won't bother me in the least.

Second, just saying "all large organizations suffer from waste and inefficiencies means just that... all large organizations exhibit this. It doesn't suggest schools or school districts have any more problems than any other large organization. And again, you are unable to identify what areas in schools need to be cut and who you think should be fired. Until you do, you are just complaining for complaining sake.

btw, you should note who has resorted to name calling in this thread. You started getting upset when each of your sources were criticized... one for being 40 years old. The other for being a partisan source that featured inaccurate information to make its partisan point. At that point you started calling me a POS and in this post a "dick". Apparently you don't having your arguments challenged and your sources criticized. Not a successful approach to a discussion and debate forum.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

I mean, "great" vs "nice" is a fairly arbitrary distinction. Does it really make any difference if I had said Nice vs. Great? C'mon.

Yea, I think a lot of public sector employees receive "nice/great/excellent/wonderful" (you pick) benefits.

You can hold the opinion that $30,000.00 guaranteed income from 55ish to death ... equivalent to roughly $600,000.00 in retirement savings isn't "great" but that's just your opinion. That's also not factoring in other retirement savings teachers, hopefully, saved during their lifetimes.

If teachers don't pay into SS they shouldn't receive any, if they do, then they should. I don't see any problem with that.

6. HTM

HTM Member

So, if we're spending the most or the 2nd most per pupil in the world for education, what's the disconnect and why aren't teachers and schools better funded? What's the problem?

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Fine, the benefit is average. I shouldn't have used the word "nice" that was stupid on my end.

Considering that we don't provide proper raises for a teacher's salary throughout their career, I think we owe it to them to give them a little better than a 50% salary pension.

You are right, it's just my opinion, along with several others in this country.

I'm not disputing that they should receive SS if they didn't pay into it. I'm saying that it's stupid that the state is in the minority that doesn't pay into social security so they can allow teachers to have that benefit as well. It sucks if you aren't in one of the 50 districts in the state (out 1,000+ districts the state has) that doesn't get the social security benefit.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I also want to call out how much risk the TRA pension fund is to corruption at the Governor level. If you recall years ago Rick Perry tried to actually “borrow” from the pension fund in order to build more toll roads, and he would have done it had there not have been a huge wtf from the committee… the head of which he appointed.

The pension fund is really important because when there’s enough surplus that’s when they can do the thing that they did a few years back (I think it was called COLA) when a bunch of veteran teachers got to retire a few years early. I would like to see some state legislation that further protects this fund from sticky fingers given Texans’ reputation for voting for hacks like Perry and Abbott.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

So other states the state pays their teachers SS? So if we did that in Texas it would basically amount to 12% pay increase?

Then the teacher would receive SS (nothing withdrawn from salary)+pension+whatever retirement they saved on their own?

And that's how they do it in other states. Those are tremendous benefits.

Non-teachers get SS (which they pay half of... or the entire thing if SE)... and whatever they have saved for retirement.

That's a huge difference.

10. adoo

adoo Member

to the extent that public school teachers are employed by school districts which are funded by property tax, they are government employees

Under federal law, any Social Security benefits you earned will be reduced if you were a federal, state or local government employee who earned a pension on wages that were not covered by Social Security.
    effectively, as it relates to retirement benefits, public school teachers cannot double-dip

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Did not know that, thanks for pointing that out.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

So how exactly is TRS a "great benefit" if it's actually less than social security?

13. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if it is a great benefit, but if teachers are not paying into social security, that is a big savings and I am assuming that is what he means.

To me they need to just scrap the pension program, let them use social security system and increase their pay.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

They aren't paying into social security, but they do pay into TRS. I believe social security takes around 6,2% of your wages, TRS takes 7.7%. So there is no savings by not paying into social security.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think teachers are contributing 6-7% to TRS from what I'm reading online. Definitely no savings and if they are getting less than SS, that's definitely even worse.

16. Nook

Nook Member

That is a good point, I really do not know.

I just know that I have done legal work concerning pensions, especially those in the public sector and have concluded that sadly, they shouldn't exist any more. There are a variety of reasons.

In the case of teachers it seems that there is a lot of misunderstanding of what their actual pension benefits are (not surprised), and they would be better off to have their pay increased.

jiggyfly, superfob and ElPigto like this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

I mean, that's not true.

The average social security benefit is far less then $2,500 dollars ($1700) and IDK what the average TRS pension benefit is ... that has not been presented.

For example, the AARP calculator estimates that a person born on Jan. 1, 1960, who has averaged a $50,000 annual income would get a monthly benefit of $1,338 if they file for Social Security at 62, $1,911 at full retirement age (in this case, 67), or $2,370 at 70.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soc...wers/how-much-social-security-will-i-get.html

#257 HTM, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think most white collar jobs pay 6 figures, I think you have the ability to get paid 6 figures more easily with a white collar job through advancement and training, you don't have that same flexibility with teaching and superintendent opportunities are very rare and very competitive.

The same education and experience in the corporate world has a lot more opportunity in the white collar world and does not have a cap on their earnings.

I know what a superintendent is, and it has no bearing on this conversation.

Yes, 100k is tough to crack in the private world, but its easier to crack with the credentials and work history comparable to people in education.

In the white collar world if you have a degree and some secondary education and 10 plus years at a place you would be pushing 100K, especially if you are in management, its

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They don't give what their metrics are, and they don't compare it to what any other jobs.

But it's the Fordham institute, so it must be a reputable source, right?

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2021...e-fordham-institute-deserves-closer-scrutiny/

In a recent Columbus Dispatch guest column, the Ohio research director for the Thomas B. Fordham Institute advocated for scheduling high stakes testing in 2021 in the midst of the greatest disruption in education programming in the past 100 years. The article, “Don’t cancel K-12 testing when we need data more than ever,” contended that testing is needed to “effectively target resources in recovery efforts.”

Based on his own online professional profile, Fordham’s research director has cited no apparent or documented experience in classroom teaching as a practitioner or in the study of education in college, yet his articles about teaching and learning as a presumed authority on the profession are often published in the Columbus Dispatch and other major Ohio newspapers.

Dr. Diane Ravitch, who was cited earlier, is not only a recognized educational authority but also a former board member of the Institute’s sister, the Thomas B. Fordham Foundation. A former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Education, Ravitch had this to say about Fordham’s role in the development of national education policy and standards:

“Fordham has no particular expertise. [But] Much to our surprise and delight, the media ate up the ratings. Whenever we released our grades for the states, there would be big stories in the newspapers in almost every state, and it helped to put [Fordham] on the map.”

Among some observers who have studied the Fordham track record, they would also question the expertise of a supposed think tank that seems to exist only as a promoter of school privatization — or school choice, if we used their own lexicon.

Same old O's, just stirring the **** every chance you get.

It's amazing the stamina you have to inject your "insight" into every discussion. Do you get a lot of info from the Thomas B. Fordham Foundation?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What is your patience level?

How much do you car what is said about you?

If you have a lot of patience I would middle school route kids have not turned into rfeal assholes yet but they are young and immature.

Avoid 7-8 grade because they are the worst, still very immature but think they are grown and going through a lot of hormones.

I like teaching 11 and 12th graders everybody knows the deal and if you can command a bit of respect kids will do what you want, 10th grade is not so bad either but 9th graders think they are grown and will try you at every point.

If you don't want 30 kid classrooms look at the suburban districts, Math is usually in demand so you should have some good choices, you might want to try charter schools because the classrooms are usually smaller and the students are more attentive.

Biggest piece of advice be the same guy every day with every student and nip everything in the bud, once the kids know what to expect they tend to fall in line, but they will try you at the beginning.

If you have any questions, let me know.

JumpMan, Nook and snowconeman22 like this.