1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teacher goes on racist rant, not realizing Zoom was on.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Apr 9, 2021.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The teacher's frustration was because that the child is suffering due to the parent's negligence. That frustration was born out of a desire for the child to receive a better education. We must avoid a society where anytime accountability is introduced, people respond with calls of racism and cancellation. It is completely counterproductive for the children's performance and expectations-setting. We must demand MORE from kids and MORE from parents, not less. When you try to influence outcomes, these calls of racism are really devastating to demanding that parents do more for their kids. It just totally shuts down the debate on how to improve kids' lives. What is really sad is that until this happens, I don't see a breakthrough in these kids' lives. That's what I'm looking for.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You obviously have an issue understanding probabalistic outcomes for a large subsection of a population. Just like a well off suburban community will have higher probabalistic outcomes for mentally healthy "responsible" adults with a smaller percentage of kids from those places having outcomes of mental health issues and being "irresponsible".

That's how socioeconomics is. Individually, no one is telling these kids "don't try your best". But when we discuss why one group statistically has x issues relative to another group, then we talk about systemic pervasive issues that one group faces that creates these outcomes.

3. fchowd0311

This is a naive. To think that these people read Jacobin or watch the Young Turks and think "I shouldn't try" is showing your fundamental misunderstanding of how humans develop.

Apply Occam's Razor. Are there more "irresponsible people" in certain communties because of media rhetoric or because of things they don't have access to during the most important stages of brain development?

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

So you seem to be arguing that poor performers have weaker brains. I reject that. I believe they have good brains and they are capable of more... and that we must ask that they do more. I believe in people. You think they need to be coddled because you have low expectations for them and/or believe they have weaker brains. That is just a totally racist place to start from, in my opinion. Shouldn't happen.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The mother's frustration was because that the child is suffering due to the teacher's negligence. That frustration was born out of a desire for the child to receive a better education. We must avoid a society where anytime accountability is introduced, people respond with calls of victim shaming and ignorance. It is completely counterproductive for the children's performance and expectations-setting. We must demand MORE from society and MORE from teachers, not less. When you try to assess outcomes, these calls of victim shaming are really devastating to demanding that teachers do more for their kids. It just totally shuts down the debate on how to improve kids' lives. What is really sad is that until this happens, I don't see a breakthrough in these kids' lives. That's what I'm looking for.

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

What is a "weaker brain"? You think child development has no effect on the brain? Are you serious? Are you trying to frame my rhetoric as racist rather than what in actually saying. Children with less access to things have a higher chance of their brain developing to maximum potential. Is this something you seriously are rejecting?

It's very simple. Every child has a certain maximum potential for their brain development and intellegence. People in poorer communties have less resources to achieve that maximum potential.

You are literally ignoring advancements in understanding early childhood development and cognative science just to push your racist narrative that black people are lazier rather than the more rational explaination that people in poor communties have less access to resources that maximize brain development.

7. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

OK, I do agree with this point. But my point takes it a step further and says that the family structures, prioritization of what is important, expectations-setting, and accountability in poorer communities must improve to be able to achieve maximum potential. These kids aren't getting what they can out of their ability, even if their access to resources is less. So perhaps they have a lower ceiling due to access to resources, but other factors are limiting their ability to reach their ceiling. We need to push them to do more. That's a good thing, right?

8. fchowd0311

All those things you list are symptoms of not maximizing brain development from a lack of resources and other factors like the drug wars that resulted in mass incarceration.

9. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Disagree strongly with that. You are trying to oversimplify it to brain development only. That's not right. The problems are symptoms of cultural problems (misplaced priorities, bad role models, lack of a strong morale code), issues with family values (no fathers in the home), bad public policy (dependency on government), and low expectations/lack of accountability, among others.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes there is dysfunction in poor black families. It will remain that way because educated negros are too worried about their feelings to be honest about internal dysfunction

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And it'll continue because people like you think black people are bad parents and make assumptions and then decisions on those assumptions.

You do realize, after all, that we live in a world and something I do can affect you, right? You act like people are not affected by crap other people do.

My child's future can be ruined by someone else's racist assumption about me and it can have 0 to do with how good or bad a parent I am. This is the part you are completely ignoring.

I had a teacher in middle school claim I didn't care about learning when I even tried to spend time with her after class to catch up. I only caught up because the next math teacher I had cared that I was behind.

It's crazy you and one other guy is fine with a teacher treating a 12 year old child like this. Downright insane.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently pgabriel has a link to stats that indisputably proves that black parents suck. Not sure if you saw that. Best link you'll get, but it's the basis for his entire argument. He has all of us beat. :(

FranchiseBlade and JayGoogle like this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Regardless of racism the internal issues need to be addressed also

How did the teacher treat the kid badly. By calling his mother?

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who says they don't? But you'll never solve racism by being racist. You're just making the race issue worse by going "But she's right, black people are bad parents, here's some stats."

She went on a racist rant and the child heard it, that is very likely going to affect how this child sees teachers he interacts with in the future.

Also, according to the mother, the teacher wasn't very responsive to her calls...but this is a claim, they are both claiming that the other wasn't answering their calls, something you've just ignored in your rush to assume she's a bad mother.

15. fchowd0311

Again all symptoms of not maximizing brain development due to a lack of resources.

When you blame culture, that's a stone's throw away from outright saying "genetic predisposition".

Culture is nothing more than a group of people expressing the effects of shared socioeconomic and enviromental conditions.

Culture is also an effect. Learn cause and effect.

You change culture by changing the socioeconomic and enviromental conditions.

Nook likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I read what she said....where did she say he was a "no-show" the whole year? For being a no-show the entire year, how was he able to get completely caught up in one zoom session?

Also, you believe this teacher 100% or was she perhaps exaggerating?

FranchiseBlade and JayGoogle like this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You can't legislate feelings. You're better off not caring. The kid is more affected by his mother not being engaged. Not about this stupidity of you refusing the honest about homes.

The teacher is actually going out of her way to help the kid. She deliberately tried to help. The Zoom was an accident.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, but you can make sure that you hold racist teachers accountable and fire them.

The mother was engaged so stop with this.

Nope, the teacher was ignoring the mother's calls.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wtf are you talking about teacher ignoring calls? Do you understand what the teacher is ranting about?

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

She's ranting about black people, clearly, something you do almost daily here.

Do you understand why they are talking through a zoom call in the first place?