1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tea Partiers who can't learn talking points are sent back to school

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Phillyrocket, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

HANNIBAL, Missouri (Reuters) – Some Tea Partiers admit mistakes were made. Others are quick to describe the movement's recent efforts in the political arena as not quite ready for prime time.

But the conservative upstart is determined to shed its amateur status. To that end, members are literally going to school. They are taking part in training sessions, some of which are underwritten by established conservative groups like American Majority, the Leadership Institute and Americans for Prosperity.

Indeed, an up-close look at the Tea Party in 15 states over a three-month period during this summer's political primaries showed a group striving to make the transition from unruly protesters to effective activists. Their near term goal is to gain a foothold at the most basic levels of government -- from city councils to state assemblies.

If they succeed, say political analysts, they could be a significant factor well beyond the November 2 midterm elections and could help shape the 2012 presidential race.

During one recent class held in Hannibal, Missouri by American Majority, Beka Romm, the group's director for Kansas, tells her audience to hold U.S. politicians' feet to the fire. Above all, the ones they like.

"If you look at that chart," she said, pointing at a screen showing deficits under U.S. presidents stretching back half a century to John F. Kennedy, "You can see that some of the people we like have run large deficits."

The numbers show an estimated budget deficit of 7.8 percent of gross domestic product in 2010 under President Barack Obama, which is in line with most nonpartisan forecasts.

But the chart also makes plain that the last three Republican occupants of the White House -- George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, a GOP deity -- ran up some hefty fiscal shortfalls themselves. As a percentage of gross domestic product, Obama holds the record with Reagan and Bush Sr tied for second place.

"We have to acknowledge what happens to people, even the ones we like, when they get to Washington," Romm told 18 Tea Party activists gathered in a hotel conference room here in Hannibal on the banks of the mighty Mississippi. "It shows why we must hold them accountable. It's also why you don't get to go on vacation on November 3. Because on November 3, you start holding politicians accountable."

Richard Viguerie, author of 'Conservatives Betrayed: How George W. Bush and Other Big Government Republicans Hijacked the Conservative Cause,' compares the response of Tea Partiers to healthcare legislation to anti-war protesters being beaten by the police in the 1960s.

"I saw them being beaten and I remember thinking 'that will teach you,'" he said. "But when you get beat up physically or otherwise, it radicalizes you. Those anti-war protesters redoubled their efforts and the same thing happened to members of the Tea Party movement when they lost the healthcare battle."

"Getting beat up radicalized them."
    :rolleyes:

the Patriots Union or AnyStreet are focusing on getting individuals and communities to work together rather than work specifically with any one Tea Party. "If we want to break the left's hegemony, we're not going to reach ordinary Americans by launching a new conservative blog," said Christopher Cook, head of AnyStreet. "The way to reach them is through community organizing." :grin: OH THE FREAKING IRONY!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100908/pl_nm/us_usa_elections_teaparty

Long article is long so I just pulled out the most hypocritical snippets of a group of people that have fervently denounced indoctrination, anti war protesters, and community organizing and now embrace it as their own cause.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So let me get this right, you posted this article to critique the Tea Party for showing its followers that they have been blind to their own "part of choice" for teaching them that even after the election they need to be politically active to make sure politicians continue to work for the people and that losing a political battle made them more hardened?

I mean if anything this article paints them in a good light. They are going to get educated on facts and taking a real look at people they held in such high regard, such as Ronald Reagan. Looking at him honestly as opposed to mythically.

This article in fact seems to paint them in a way I wish they all really were.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Recognition of the grand strategy at last! :)

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hey thumbs! You let us all know when the tea party comes up with a candidate that can beat Mr Obama.

:)

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

No need to. Much like McCain, Obama is beating himself.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Agreed.

7. thumbs

There's a lot of discussion regarding that very topic, and I will remain interested. However, I'm winding my small role down due to health reasons. I start dialysis soon, so I want to spend my last unfettered days traveling to some historic sites I want to see and visiting old friends in remote places.

2 people like this.
  8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about the health issues. Take care of yourself!

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

lol...you really think this "education" will be legitimate? i'm sure it's going to make all the tea partiers say "well gosh darn! I guess the gipper wasn't quite the infallible hero we thought he was!"

they're talking about "radicalizing" them for goodness sake

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, really?

Richard Viguerie, author of 'Conservatives Betrayed: How George W. Bush and Other Big Government Republicans Hijacked the Conservative Cause,' compares the response of Tea Partiers to healthcare legislation to anti-war protesters being beaten by the police in the 1960s.

"I saw them being beaten and I remember thinking 'that will teach you,'" he said. "But when you get beat up physically or otherwise, it radicalizes you. Those anti-war protesters redoubled their efforts and the same thing happened to members of the Tea Party movement when they lost the healthcare battle."

"Getting beat up radicalized them."

The "tea party" supporter, a person who is allegedly "educating the "tea party" members, tells them that "I saw them being beaten and I remember thinking 'that will teach you." So instead of saying, as one would hope an educated, sane person might say, that it was wrong for the police to beat up political protesters, just as it would be wrong for the police to beat up "tea party" members making political protests, this "tea party" supporter, who's supposedly telling them the "right way" to go about political protest/activism, doesn't tell them that it was wrong for the State to assault citizens making a public political statement, but rather that it "helped" that political movement, something he clearly sees as a negative in that case, and that the wrong committed wasn't beating them up, but rather taking an action that strengthened their movement. Not only that, but he astonishingly equates being beat up by the State for making a political protest with losing a political battle over an issue in Congress.

And you think that the article "in fact seems to paint them in a way I wish they all really were." Outstanding. You imply that it's fine for the police to beat up political protesters, if they are protesting something that you disagree with, but not if those protesting are "tea party" members. It that a fair assumption on my part? It looks perfectly obvious to me. Unless you are going to tell me that the "lesson" being given was for "tea party" members to go out and provoke the police in order to get beat up, as that would be a plus for the "tea party."

Bizarro World once again orbiting around D&D.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think you are reading way too much into that comment.

LOL not at all. In fact, it's a pretty stupid assumption on your part. You won't find anything like that in my post. I was referring to the idea that a group of people that are politically motivated are actually going to get educated on issues and taking honest looks at people they've long supporters to see if maybe they've been blind fools all along.

Again, you read way too much into that comparison. It's silly that you made such a long post talking about police brutality when it's really irrelevant to the discussion.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Will send positive thought your way. Hang in there.

13. thumbs

Thanks, Rashmon and mc mark. I don't want to derail the thread -- just wanted to explain that I won't be as active in tea party politics and, hence, won't have any "insider" information and hints to impart anymore. But I am proud of my contribution to the movement, however small.

14. thumbs

Deckard, put down that James Joyce story and back away slowly. :grin: I know you're making a solid point, but I am having trouble following it. Thanks.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Right now, Romney could beat him, easily. Granted, Romney isn't a tea party candidate. In fact, his waffling on social issues will turn them off, but he's still the most likely politician to win the Republican nomination.

But there's still hope for Obama. He must stand his ground on reversing the monumentally disastrous tax cuts, which the GOP still believe are good for America. Democrats cannot run away from this issue. They cannot allow the GOP to turn tax cuts into a political victory.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

hilarious, obama isn't conservative enough for even the blue dog dems, let alone repubs and isn't liberal enough for the left thus everyone claims he is beating himself.

17. rhadamanthus

I really don't know what you're trying to say.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He's saying if you put a Teabag lunatic in a national election, Obama will look like a sane centrist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18 Dubious, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  19. rhadamanthus

He already does. I still don't understand what pgabs was trying to say. Oh well.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

When there is no voting button to push, everyone promotes their own agenda and the more radical approaches shout down the more subtle substantive ones.

But behind the curtain, when you have to choose between only two candidates, people's fear of radicalism becomes more palpable and they will tend to gravitate to the center.