1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TE and future first rounder for barry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buiyahkah, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

(hopfully) late 1st round picks are crap shoots - and you have to guarentee salary... which is a drag

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

You're missing something.

If you select a foreign player, you only have to guarantee the salary once you sign them.

You can draft and do a wait-and-see to determine if theyre ready before giving them the contract.

3. MManal

MManal Member

One thing to add.... If Im not mistaken, since Seattle would be signing the contract in this scenario and trading Barry to the Rockets, the contract would actually have 12.5% raises. iirc, a team can sign its own FA to 12.5% noncumulative raises or give the player that same raise structure in a sign and trade. This essentially translates into annual raises of $862,500.
    Year 1: 6.9 mil
    Year 2: 7.76 mil
    Year 3: 8.6 mil

That basically amounts to 3 yrs at 23-24 mil. I dont know if Barry is worth this kind of cash, but it sure would be interesting to see. This type of deal would likely put the Rockets at or near the luxury tax threshold unless they move a contract ie Boki or Pike in the transaction.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

There is no reason on our own to get Seattle involved, other teams via league rules can't get involved (S&T a FA from another team). 4 year MLE (about 24 mil) is awefully good to Barry if we are comfortable offering that and is trivily different than 3 year like 20 mil deal.

Barry has all the power here. Seattle is not going to beat 4year/24mil by anything substantial, and they have no oppertunnity to match if he accepts since he is an URFA.

In sum, there is no good reason to give up our TE and a #1 pick to facilliate such a deal. Now if we trade bad contract (Spoon) for bad contract (James or Booth) in a way that helps us, then using the TE for Barry to grease the deal could make sense. But if it just for Barry, there is no good reason to even place a call to Seattle.

#84 Desert Scar, Jul 3, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  5. red

red Contributing Member

buiyahkah...buiyahkah...buiyahkah...

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can throw Juwan into any trade deals. Juwan and Clutch the Bear for Bo Outlaw.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd think there'd be one excellent reason to give up our TE and a number 1: we'd still have our MLE to sign other free agents.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

TE for Barry is fine, but the Rockets can't keep on throwing there 1st round picks away.

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

This is Perfect. Then we can Keep the MLE to Sign to solid Role players like Keon clark and a Solid Backup for Barry.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you a converted Blazers fan? Because of your user name, I always thought you were still a Blazers fan.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Giving up so much so we an be destroyed by quick little guards? Yao can get in foul trouble after the quick guards blow by Barry and T-Mac.

No thanks. So much for the talk of going for players with good value. Barry is the classic case of the overvalued player. Let others bid up his price.

Please follow the model of the Spurs. Go with youth and reasonable contracts to surround your young superstar(s).

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I'm Orginaly from Houstan and for some Personal Reasons i had to move to Oregon. While i was there I adpted the blazers as my Second team. anyhow After seeing the Public PR disasters and the way the team Treated the Public i Quickly Started hating them.

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Anyway, The Rox Were allways my number 1 Team.....

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

MManal, good call on the 12.5% increases! See that is exactly why we should do the S&T for Barry instead of offering the full MLE. In another thread it was reported we are offering barry 4 years at 24M. Why? I would rather do the S&T route with our TE and have it 3 years at 24M (instead of 4 years 24M). He still gets his money, just in less years. And it doesnt put as much pressure on our cap down the road. I think that is key!

15. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

lol... deuce... with the team we have... any first future first rounder is like one of the last picks... although it seems like forever since we've had one