1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TE and future first rounder for barry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buiyahkah, Jul 2, 2004.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No you cannot do that. Subsequent years of a contract must be for at least the same amount as the first year of the deal.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That contract either has to be structured with decreasing salary or we aren't offering the entire TE for Barry. I can't see us paying him the entire $6.99 million to come here.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

OK, thanks.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, we love 'em. Yao, MoT, Juwan, JJ, Boki, Gaines, McGrady are all first rounders.

Not sure about Weatherspoon, Pike, AG, and Lue but I'd say at least 1 or 2 of those were first rounders too.

What kind of player do you think we are gonna pick up with a mid to late first round pick?

We're better off accumulating 2rd round picks that don't count against the salary cap and can be stashed overseas or trading away some talent to move up and get a top 3 or 4 draft pick. Most drafts aren't going to have much top talent past pick 3 or 4.

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Yikes. Any reports on how many years we're offering? I'd assume three. Four is absolutely unacceptable, unless it's a team option.

I really don't know about this. Barry's a nice player, but he's not worth that kind of money. I guess I could live with it if it's just three years.

If we get Barry, I assume/hope we don't go after Fisher. We need a backup center and I wonder if Les will use the MLE or even the vet's minimum. Signing Barry to this amount will already put us close to LT land.

6. Relativist

jopatmc, you've actually got a point. Late first-rounders are probably less valuable than early second rounders because of the risk in giving guaranteed money to someone who may quite likely not pan out. If we don't have to fork over the first-rounder for at least a year or two, it may not be much of a loss at all.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ouch. I don't think Id want to beat that.

8. Relativist

Well, we're doing it with a three-year deal starting at $6.9 million.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd love to get Barry, but not for $6.9M, 7.59M, 8.35M and totaling 22.84M! (thanks, micah1j) We don't need him that much.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ehhhhh.

Alot of money for a guy who will be 34 shortly after the season starts. Given his injury history and his matador defense .....bleh.....too much IMO.

The stupid part of me would hope that we get a real PG and use Barry as a super 6th man to rotate in at the 1,2 and 3.

11. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

A first rounder sent away, damn!!!!!!!!

Let's say it's the pick is for 2006, then we will be really bad that year, and have a record of 11-71. Somehow, we luck out to get the number one pick. Then it goes to Seattle and they pick Oden/Yi, and becomes the next dynasty in the NBA. We will lose Yao to the Lakers in FA, and T-Mac breaks his back and becomes another Grant Hill.

Our roster will be:

Lue
    Pike
    Boki
    Howard
    Skinner

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's all over........................

OK, I feel better now.

12. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

let them have a first round pick. I'm more concerned with the salary. Nearly 7 million bucks for a guy who's gonna be 34 and is a liability is a bit much. However, if he knocks down most of his shots as he's done in previous years i won't complain

13. micah1j

micah1j Member

The offer might be 6.9M each year or 20.7M...

14. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

that would be a terrible deal for us. brent barry is a unrestricted free agent so why should we give up anything for him much less a first rounder and our TE which can be very valuable. also, he is very overrated...i wouldnt give him more than the MLE tops.

sign fisher or arroyo please and dont give up anything.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I really don't like Barry to be our PG. He would serve better as a shooter like Pike was. He is not a PG that i think is that unselfish and will come up and distribute the ball like we want.

He has a history of injuries and he's getting up there in age.

16. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

LOL:D

17. PhiSlammaJamma

At 6'6 with Barry, 6'8 with McGrady, 6'6 with Gaines., and 6'6 with Jackson, the entry pass should be pretty easy next year. Add to that the shooting percentage from three at 45%, 34% 40 %, and 30% and I think you have a classic inside outside game developing. Lue is a good change of pace.

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Great way of looking at it. I think we may be underestimating Barry here, guys. He may be worth every penny the Rockets will be offering him. And if we can land Potapenko in the deal, wow, that'd be awesome!

19. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

The good thing about Potapenko is that we can solve our backup center problem now. The bad thing? He sucks worse than my vacuum.

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

That's pretty funny. :D But he can play the limited role Spoon played last year. I wouldn't expect him to be our backup center going into the season.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned about Barry though but Barry can legitimately play two positions, point guard and shooting guard, while Fisher can only play the point, so with Barry we're getting much more versatile and giving Jeff Van Gundy many more options to work with. That's a big plus.