1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TE and future first rounder for barry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buiyahkah, Jul 2, 2004.

1. micah1j

micah1j Member

Maybe a little off topic but does anyone know if a contract can be structured to go down in $$? Say 6.9M, 6.5M, 6M, 5M. Salary cap wise this is better than 5M, 6M, 6.5M, 6.9M. But not for Les as it is more money on a net present value basis.

2. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

sure it can.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree, I would hope we could do it for only 3 years. But I know Barry really wants 4. Maybe we could do a "team option" on the 4th year. That way if we want to cut him loose we could. A compromise. But I agree, 3 years seems like a good range.

1st rounder does seem high, I would agree. But I dont think it would sting as much if we made it a 2006 or 2007 pick. I mean by then we should be a much better team. And we would still be able to use the 2005 draft to add a role player. Something to think about.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I would pass on this deal.

As much as I like Barry, 6.9 mil a year plus a 1st rounder is too much.

I would rather have someone like Arroyo for a 3-4 million, while saving the 1st round pick.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Instead of sending a first rounder, how about the TE plus Spoon, for a re-signed Barry, plus one of the centers Seattle is trying to dump (Booth or Potapenko would be a salary match for a Spoon swap)?

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Utah would match that offer in a split second.

7. rezdawg

I'd do that.

Potapenko's contract finishes after this upcoming year, so Im not sure if the Sonics would be willing to trade that contract for Spoon's.

Booth will make 5.9 next year and he has 3 years left in his contract.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm all for it mainly because i'm not that worried about a first round pick. we still have the mid-level exception to go after a back-up center. not too bad.

9. rezdawg

True...but I just meant a player of Arroyo's calibur.

Maybe a Damon Jones or Rafer Alston. Someone that could come at a cheap price.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Isn't there some kind of strange rule that says you can't send the TE by itself or with another player - i.e. it essentially has ot be used in conjuction with a draft pick. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. sup123

sup123 Member

isnt the TE the MLE?

or do we have an MLE to offer in additoin to the TE.

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

6.9M, 7.59M, 8.35M total of 22.84M. This is at 10% raises. Wow that is alot.

I'd prefer to give him a 4 year deal at 6.9M, 6.5M, 6M, player option in last year for 5M for total of 24.4M compared to above because he would be more tradable at the end of his contract.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm pretty sure they're two different things but i'm sure someone else will give a good answer. whether or not the rockets want to add all this salary without giving away some of their current contracts is a different story.

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

YESH!!!!!!

Yao, Tmac, Barry that's the shooting we need. Bombs away!

Barry will shoot over 50%.

and then, every now and then ...

TO THE HOOP :

[​IMG]

Now, we have the two MCE's 5.5 mil and 1.7 mil ? How about Carlos Arroyo and McDyess? Try to trade MoT or Spoon, package with Pike and AG. Then pick up Tmo, Collie and give Eddie Griffin a shot at the bench. Good!

Whatever. It's shaping up now. This team will spread the defense and use Yao and TMac. Bank on it.

15. micah1j

micah1j Member

Team option is always great but when is the last time anyone saw a team option on anything other than a rookie contract? Those are the only contracts I see them on.

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope it's three years. We are offering the most money, from what's been posted, plus no state income tax. Plus Yao and Tmac! Plus instant fan love and ad-opportunities galore.

I also hope we're trading Mo T or Spoon for Jerome James or Vitaly Potepenko + whatever crap they want to unload.

That would make this sweet. We get the back up center for Yao,they get a scoring power forward. We get a two year contract and a way to give the money to Yao when he extends.

Shoot, we'll take both those guys for both our guys.

17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

No. The Trade Exception is a one time deal that was rewarded to us as a result of the Glen Rice trade last year. It will expire soon if we don't use it.

The MLE is given to every team to work with, I believe only if you're over the cap. (can someone confirm that?)

At any rate, we definitely have both.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Famous last words.:)

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

The Rockets must really have no faith in their scouts if they’re going to trade their first round pick year after year after year.

20. micah1j

micah1j Member

Well, hopefully the Rockets will be top ceeds for years to come so our picks would be 20+. At that low in the draft its all a crap shoot anyway.