1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TE and future first rounder for barry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buiyahkah, Jul 2, 2004.

1. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

i looked to see if this was posted already and i didnt see anything. i just heard on sports radio 610 that their NYC affiliate has reported that we offered our TE and a future first rounder for a sign and trade with brent barry. has anyone else heard about this?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I haven't. Please keep us updated.

3. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

I heard the exact same report on 610, but they haven't really talked about it all that much. I'll keep listening for more...

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I heard it too but I turned it on a little late so I just heard the full TE and ?????????? for a sign and trade to get Barry.

I guess it was the first rounder that I missed.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you are Seattle you of course accept. Basically they get a 1st rounder for nothing. And for Barry, a starting salary at 6.9M is damn good. If the Rockets dont mind giving up a 1st rounder. Looks like a win-win for everyone.

If this happend then it would really be like trading Glen Rice and 2 1st rounders for Brent Barry.

If I am the Rockets I put some serious conditions on that 1st rounder though. Perhaps not next years either. Maybe 2006 or 2007, something like that.

6. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Was there anyone else listening to 610 at about 4:25-4:30 and heard the same thing. At about that time frame Rich mentioned that WFAN out of New York(I think) reported that the Rockets were talking to Seattle about sending their trade exemption and a future first round pick to them in exchange for Brent Barry. I thought perhaps someone else would had caught that so I waited for you folks to jump on that. I wonder if we could email the drivetime crew and get them to repeat that rumor because I didn't hear it mentioned on the latest update.

I did some searching for this rumor to see if anyone else was aware of this and found this on the espn boards...

WFAN 66 am sports radio is claiming that the Rockets have offered their $6.9 million trade exception and a future first round draft pick (top 20 protected) to the Sonics in exchange for PG Brent Barry in a sign and trade.

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/nba/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=nba_hou&id=206875&move=firstThread

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Another first rounder :( but Barry is a deadly shooter anyways so it maybe worth it but I always look forward to draft day

8. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Whoops, trade exception*

9. sup123

sup123 Member

Do we not like first round pics? :confused:

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Future first rounder?????? OK, if Y-Mac gives us 50 wins next year(or the year with that first rounder), then we are fine. Otherwise, we are screwed.

We traded Rice away along with this year's first rounder for Amechi(ouch), and that pick finally wen to Dallas(via Utah) and they got Podkozine, whom is a nice pick up(might have solved our backup center issue).

Who knows who we might get that year with that pick. I don't necesarily like this.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

we want to win now. The team is young enough. BTW, we shouldn't have a first rounder of any value for the next 5-7 yrs.

12. sup123

sup123 Member

however, i also thought u cant trade away first round pics 2 years in a row?

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not in a basketball calendar year. But once the draft was over we got the ability to trade the 2005 selection if we wanted to.

And everyone, like I said in my post above.... Who says it is a 2005 1st rounder? It could always be 2006 or 2007. There could be conditions. You never know.

14. sup123

sup123 Member

i still dont know though, barry is old. I rather get someone young. Dont screw up CD.

15. droxford

droxford Member

I don't think we can get Barry:

from http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1833036

the Sonics are trying to re-sign free agent guard Brent Barry. Seattle has offered Barry a three-year, $18 million deal. However, at least one team is planning to offer the 32-year-old Barry $20 million for three years.

I don't think we can beat 3 yr/$20 mil.

-- droxford

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We have two young guys in Yao and McGrady. It would be 'ideal' to get a player that has experience AND is the same age but chances are that wont be available. So the Rockets will probably look for veterans to round out the roster with their two star young players.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If we trade our 6.9TE for Barry then his starting salary would be 6.9M plus 10% raises each year. It would be higher than 3yr 20M that Seattle is offering.

18. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

If this is true, I hope it is a 3-year contract only. Not any longer.
    can we instead give them a 2nd round pick? a 1st round pick seems to too much compensation for faciliating a trade.

19. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

how old is barry? is he close to fishers age? i'm kinda concerned about other pg's just driving right by him all the time though...however, the number of open shots he'd get would be amazing. man, if i had the money i'd get season tix for next season in a heartbeat, it'll be really exciting.

20. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I would rather it be one of our PF's than the TE.