1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TCU to the Big 12

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ivenovember, Oct 6, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Donny, you're kind of missing the point. if lsu wants a kid out of tx, they don't need a school in tx, they can just point to their recent rings

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no, its actually an argument that you just need to be good and you can recruit anywhere

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I get that, it doesn't mean that it won't be even easier for them now, though.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Donny, you have to be the biggest UH homer around, and that is cool. The argument for UH fan support over TCU fan support is legit, but you stated that it is equivalent to A&M and UT, and that just shows your inability to overcome your blindness.

Have you ever been to a football game at UT or at A&M? Have you ever spent quality time at any of those campuses other than UH? I have family and friends from/currently at all three schools. My evidence is only anecdotal and from personal experience, but damn dude, UH is nowhere close to UT and A&M when it comes to Football fan support measured by numbers and passion.

I invite you to go to an A&M game in College Station or a UT game in Austin and take in the experience. I also invite you to get another degree from either school, because your loyalty is unrewarded at UH. If most UH students were like you, UH would not be in this predicament, imo. The culture of school spirit and athletic support you demonstrate is not shared at your Alma mater in comparison to support levels at the other schools.

I'm sorry for your unfortunate predicament, but your lack of open mindedness to the possibility that your fan base is not really what you think it is...this makes you write foolish statements.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Let me stop you right there, because I never said, or even implied, such a thing.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i went to uofh and ut. degree from uofh. i will argue some educational merrits of uofh over ut. that may get me called a homer, but i can make a legitment argument that uofh had just as good of a business school when i was a student.

but in terms of campus environment, uofh is a commuter school. it is what it is. and you know what, tcu isn't. and that's the bottom line. i'm unfortunately a non passionate fan but it allows me to see the situation through a clear lense.

now, uofh with more students being funneled there due to the ever increasing difficulty of students getting into the bigger state schools is slowly changing but it isn't nearly what it needs to be.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're so crazy in here they try to make you think you're crazy. Before you know it you're crazy.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Donny, this is the series of conversation I responding to:

post 86
    post 87 reaffirming post 86
    post 89 disputing the contention in post 86 and 87
    So, you do agree that there is no equivalency amongst the schools, or you don't?

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

There is no equivalency, I was responding (obviously) to assertions that nobody cares, etc. Not trying to make a case for equivalency, that's just ridiculous.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I am not familiar with the TCU environment other than their recent football success. I do know that Miami is a commuter school like UH, and even has a smaller student population (I think...I know I should look it up, but I think this is true). Miami has had a lot of athletic success throughout the years, and a lot of cheating too.

It's just real tough for that environment at UH to achieve athletic support, and I'm not saying it's bad or UH is stupid for being that. I'm mainly pointing out that Donny is the exception and not the norm at UH. He would really fit it in with A&M and UT students/sports fans. That's why I think he should go to College Station or Austin and experience it first hand. He might really like it as it's hard to find the same atmosphere at UH.

edit:
    Donny, I'm sorry for misinterpreting your post. I though you were saying that UH fans are equal to UT and A&M fans (in numbers, interest, and passion).

#110 Kim, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Miami, Pitt, and UCLA are all good examples of urban schools that achieved success, but each of them struggles with support all the same compared to their peers. It's a good blueprint to follow, though. Although none of those programs have ever had to deal with the reality of being stuck in a conference that blows goats. But hey, TCU did it, so we can too.

I've been to UT and A&M games. I "fit in" just fine at UH. Why should I have to go to one of those places to be a fan or vocal alumni? I can't do it where I choose? I have to follow the pack? You realize I don't root for A&M or UT out of economic and academic fairness principles, right? Not some silly football peepee measuring contest. I'm not going to change how I feel about things simply because I want to be around more people who drink the same color kool aid as me.

I'm happy being the exception, thanks. Although, I have to argue with you when you tell me I'm the exception when we have 32,000 people to show up to see us play Georgia State when we're coming off a 5-7 season. People seem very threatened and defensive about the idea of people actually caring about UH, and I have to wonder why.

#111 DonnyMost, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  12. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Put me down as the exception too!

I love UH and the campus. I love being in a major city than a small town.

2 people like this.
  13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I toed ya'll.

The city of Ft. Worth is flush with Barnett Shale money. The band wagon of back to back to back winning seasons is riding high (down some of late, though this announcement is tantamount to winning a ring). I was in the the Rose Bowl with 30,000 fans in purple, 1000 miles from the campus. The game Day atmosphere on campus is strong now and they are adding to the stadium.

Big Ball's in Cowtown
    We'll all go down
    Big Ball's in Cowtown
    We'll dance around

14. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Exactly, it makes me wonder if they have actually been to a UH game or are just speculating. Having attended both UH and A&M I'd say the difference isn't as staggering as people are led to believe.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Most of UofH football fans who attend games are generally just as much football fans as Aggie fans, but their are just no where near as many as there are at A&M.

Having said that I'm still stunned by big sports fans like my brother who attends UofH but doesn't even go to most of the UofH football games but almost never misses a UT game on TV.....

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Texas definitely has the most T-shirt fans than any other school.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Donny, I'm not threatened, I'm really not an A&M fanatic. 32K is cool, just not 90K. You're a UH alum though right? So it makes sense to pull for them. I'm very much a 2%er Aggie, but it's even hard for me not to get swept up in the atmosphere when football is the dominant subject of the campus (when I was a student every now and then :) ). Why are you opposed in principle to UT and A&M athletic success?

If you're not a UH alum and you're just a football fan of schools in Texas, I was just saying that you should check out stadiums that get 90K full of craziness because you might like it. You get all defensive about UH and pimp the athletic programs like crazy and get pissed when UH is unwanted by conferences and make statements that the Big12 is abandoning Houston because it doesn't love UH...all I'm saying is that you shouldn't be surprised if UH is not considered as valuable as other schools from an athletics standpoint because there's not enough students like you. And that situation is not terrible nor is it their fault (because UH is a commuter school), it's just the way it is.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Not referring to you.

Nobody ever suggested it was.

PUF fund, among other things.

I get defensive when people say dumb, unfounded crap about it. I promote their better points, you know, like ANY alumni of a school does.

1) I'm not pissed and 2) I never said that.

I completely understand why this is happening, and I also understand that the Big 12 is giving up a sizable chunk of the Houston area to a rival conference that already had a toehold in East Texas. I see that as a business oriented reason for the Big 12 to expand in Houston. How is that me saying they're "abandoning" anything? You can't "abandon" something if you're not voluntarily leaving it?

What conversation are you having and who are you having it with? Because it certainly doesn't sound like it is me you've been talking to. I know damn well all of the reasons why UH isn't sitting in a BCS conference right now, a lot of it has to do with things like academics, facilities, fan support, and revenues, but I think it is pretty silly to also act as if those are the *only* factors involved here. Why do you think the Big 12 was so reluctant to add TCU, or any other Texas team for that matter? Once again, my statements in this thread have only revolved around making as much of a case for UH's inclusion *as TCU*, not comparing UH to UT, A&M, or whoever. I believe that if UH can be marketed and proven as desirable of an addition to the Big 12 as TCU is, then an invite might be inevitable. So, if you disagree, fine, but at least understand the argument I'm making before you argue against it.