1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taxing ammo over taking away guns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That happened to me. I apparently had the same name as someone they were keeping an eye on. Everyone in my family could go straight through to the x-ray machines, etc., and I had to go off and answer some questions. Got to where I always took my passport with me on domestic flights. It didn't stop until my passport expired and I had to get a new one. Haven't had a single incidence similar to what happened before since going through the process of getting my new passport.

The responses here to any suggestion of improving our gun laws tells the American story. As long as enough gun owners believe the crap the leaders of the NRA keep telling them, we'll have no progress getting common sense laws restricting access to the most deadly weapons one might desire. Assault rifles, large magazines... who really needs them besides collectors, who should be able to obtain them after getting a license? No one, except that they just have to have them, cause they're fun. Ask those at Pulse how much fun they were. I'm a gun owner, and common sense laws restricting certain types of guns, shells, and magazines to those who have gone through a process of getting a collector's license seems perfectly logical to me. Sadly, on this topic, logic doesn't enter into the discussion.

What happened to Obama taking away everyone's guns? Nearly 8 years and he hasn't done a damn thing restricting gun access of any kind, yet he's still seen as some "evil" fellow bent on taking them away from Americans. Just ask the leaders of the NRA and far-right talk radio. They've never stopped demonizing the President, and will continue to do so until he leaves office. Doesn't matter that he did nothing to restrict gun sales, which actually went up during his presidency.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's why you make them more expensive.

Markets are a wonderful thing, especially when we make them efficient.

Market-based reforms to properly allocate the cost will make this transition bloodless (well, as bloodless as possible when you're dealing with instruments designed to kill and maim, obviously).

Sorry to ruin your fantasy of a billion David Koresh style shootouts.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My point is not to eliminate guns from the country. My point of the whole suggestion is to eliminate crazies from stockpiling mass amounts of ammo, and the going target practicing on a room full of people.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That didn't happen after twenty 6 and 7 years old got slaughtered on Nov 30, 2012, almost 4 years ago.

If something where 90+% of public agreed to can't happen because of gun lobbies, there isn't much hope of any gun reform happening. You see how ridiculous one sided this is?

But ... hopefully the changes in political power will eventually move the needle.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No it's not difficult.

This is what it states:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This ISN'T what it states:

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

The founding father spelled out specifically with exact phrasing the reason to keep and bear Arms and you people disregard it on purpose. Nevertheless, that's how it is interpreted by the majority decision by a 1 vote count. Keep up the good press on no-compromises and it's not that difficult to see this changing in future cases,.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Sam's post is the height of hilarity and hypocrisy. One the one hand he advocates government intervention to raise the price of guns, then on the other hand he extols the virtues of a market-based economy! Truly, you can't make up this type of shameless contradiction! There is nothing worse than liberals giving condescending lectures on topics that they know nothing about.

But it is educational that he brought up the Waco killing, a mass murder by the government that wiped out far more than the Pulse nightclub shooting. But yeah, we don't need guns to protect ourselves from the government. Hammers and knives kill far more people a year than semi-automatic rifles, and drunk drivers kill approximately 30 times as many people. Our focus is totally misguided. If you cleaned up the inner city of Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, and DC, gun violence would plummet. Instead Barry Soetoro is focused on disarming law-abiding citizens in an effort to increase the government's control over the populace.

GOOD DAY

1 person likes this.
  7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If so, this would be your first.

What's wrong with using market based solutions rather than government regulatory action?

You're the master of shameless contradiction, so you are well aware you can indeed make it up.

Yes, conservatives claiming that liberals don't know something about topics with which they are obviously familiar is much worse. The condescending lectures come because you don't know (or claim to not know) the facts on these topics and when you spout bullsh!t, the response from someone familiar with the topic will sound condescending.

As Waco illustrated, no amount of guns is sufficient to "protect ourselves from government," if you break the law, you'll be brought to justice no matter how heavily armed you happen to be.

Homicides by firearm total more than four times the number of homicides by knives and blunt objects combined. I realize that the only way your narrative holds water is if you cherry pick the statistics, but doing so is dishonest, stop lying.

I doubt this is true, car crash deaths and firearm deaths are almost equal (between 33k and 34k in 2013). Of course, deaths in automobile accidents have dropped precipitously since we started passing common sense regulations on automobiles and drivers, just as we could reduce firearm deaths with common sense gun regulations.

Yours certainly is.

Exactly how would you effect such a "clean up?"

Nothing but a turd from Bullsh!t Mountain. Obama hasn't done jack squat to "disarm law-abiding citizens," he hasn't proposed such a disarming, and in every speech, reminds us that he isn't interested in taking guns away from responsible gun owners. This means you're either a liar or you are parroting liars, which is it?

Every day that you serve a softball like this one for me to knock out of the park is a good day.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

GladiatoRowdy wins the prize for least funny and worst formatted post of 2016.

Congrats GladiatoRowdy click here for your prize.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They spelled out a reason why the right of the people shall not be infringed. Still a right of the people and there's really no way you can twist that into not being a right of the people.....of course being from the left you won't stop till you've stripped the people of as many rights as possible in order to empower the federal government, it's clearly your main goal. It's also exactly why people need to stand up to the anti-civil rights crusaders whenever they get up on their soap boxes. People like you are dangerous when taken seriously.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You could have made the 1st point and be done. Of course we disagree and agree to disagree.

The rest of it... you have quite a habit of assumption and stereotyping and coming to conclusions based on them. This is a path of ignorance.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Time for some Article V action on the 2nd...

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Without the right to own guns, many in America would suddenly realize they've never been free. Are you sure you want that?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not really. Even gun nut wet dream Heller (which, btw, wouldn't be upheld once Scalia's seat is filled) recognizes explicitly that firearms can and will be subject to regulation.

Lots of pretend online lawyers here don't get this, but anyway we survived 200+ years without Heller, if it's ever gone, or just peeled back, we will survive without it.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I was going for factual, not funny.

A line by line rebuttal with quotes is what you define as poor formatting?

Here's yours...

[​IMG]

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

in theory the "to each their own" mantra is a catchy one, no doubt, but it flies in the face of reality. every one of us is tightly woven in the huge fabric we call "civilized society". you nor anyone else (or very very few) are unto yourself an island.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you really want to reduce the amount of assault rifles out there(I personally think banning assault rifles is stupid since they account for a tiny percentage of gun deaths), then just treat them like you treat suppressors/silencers. You have to buy a $200 stamp that isn't transferable and make people wait months for it. It's not that hard. Responsible people who really want them can still get them, and the ******* who wants to shoot up a school has to wait a few months to think about it.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Assault riffles are already illegal.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on how you define "assault rifle", some aren't so good with that

[​IMG]

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can buy AR's at wal-mart.

20. okierock