1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Taxes] The poor pay much higher tax rates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Remii

Remii Member

This is the point I made on the page back. And it's not just Wal-Mart but super stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, etc as well. If not for stores like that... It probably wouldn't be a problem to raise minimum wage across the board. And the middle class and under have allowed this to happen because of convince or just to save a buck or two which kills the small businesses and it turns around and bite us on the azz at the back-end.

You spend your money at Wal-Mart thinking you're saving money. But your tax dollars are being used to help take care of their employees... So at the end of the day you're not saving s**t. Actually spending more.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Why should Walmart worry about its workers? The workers have Obamacare and minimum wage raises. Hurray.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Read our quotes/replies; it's straightforward. Surely you with your advanced reading comprehension abilities should be able to figure it out...

4. Remii

Remii Member

And just remember if you shop at Wal-Mart... You're part of the blame.

Everyone is looking to blame others but don't won't to take any accountability. Licking all around the bush but don't won't to stick their tongue in it.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Could not agree more. the Purchasing power of the american public is one of the most underrated powers in the world. We have much more power over the fate of our nation and the world through how we spend our money than how we vote. Sadly, this power is almost entirely un-utilized. Personally I would like to see the old General Strike idea get dusted off, but replaced with a General Purchasing Strike.

Quick aside though:
    That is one sexually graphic metaphor you chose to go with there -- but I must say I heartily approve.

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If you really want to bet, I would be happy to, provided we establish the terms first. I asked you to clarify, if you want a wager, answer.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Ain't shopped at Walmart in 3 years. Only reason I did is because that's all there was open out in the sticks late at night.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The wager would be on whether or not you reached a conclusion that the article supported. You say you did, but you didn't.

Honestly, there's no point in continuing this. You're wrong. You misspoke. It happens to everyone, but especially to you b/c you rarely qualify your blanket statements. You need to think before you type.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why do you stop with the super stores? Sometimes I think people hate Wal-Mart for their success. Take a look at a mall. Do you think any of them make decent wages? How about the mom and pop shops? Do you think they provide decent paying wages? Or any benefits?

If a person wants to make decent money, they need to master their trade. If your trade can be mastered with a 2 hour corporate instructional video on your first day, the one should expect their wage to be auctioned off at the lowest bidder.

10. Remii

Remii Member

11. Space Ghost

You still avoided the overall question. What about every other business out there that does the same thing, including mom and pop shops. If youre working unskilled labor, you're going to get paid min. wage. Have you not been to wal-mart? Most of these people struggle to operate a register. Are you really telling me they deserve more than other people getting paid min. wage?

I used to do my one stop shopping at walmart. Not anymore. Between the crappy selection and the four registers open, its a joke. And its not so much the amount of lanes open, its the painfully slow operators. This isn't one or two Walmarts, its a trend across the whole country. Why do you think these people deserve more money than some people coming out of college with a two year associates?

12. Remii

Remii Member

There are some small businesses that pay more than minimum wage. And there are some small businesses that pay minimum wage. But do you think those small businesses get the same tax breaks that Wal-Mart gets... Wal-Mart makes enough money and gets enough tax breaks so they don't have to pay their employees like a struggling small business.

I never said they should get more than someone with a college degree...

The job duties at Wal-Mart can't be too far off from the job duties at Costco (who start their cashiers off around $11.50 an hour).... And customer service is a skill. You don't like the customer service at Wal-Mart so you don't shop there. Crap pay may equal crap job performance and a high turnover rate.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Uh... when we talk about examples of what's wrong with the American economy we tend to start with the largest retailer in the world before we talk about Ed's Hardware Shop.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Nah, f**K that, Ed is a f**king a**hole -- we are starting in the wrong d**n place.

15. Space Ghost

Do you know what their balance sheet looks like with or w/out tax breaks? You also need to overlook the microeconomics of a single store or single chain. The profits of large corporates play a pivotal role when it comes down to your 401k and other retirement vehicles. The early walmart made many employees millionaires.

Except most of those walmart employees would never make the cut to get a job at Costco.

16. Remii

Remii Member

It's 2015 and these aren't the early Wal-Mart's.

And I won't even pretend to be an economics expert but anyone who isn't sleep at the wheel can see they're getting over.

Costco invest in their employees with better training and better pay. Better pay means less turnover rate. Less turnover rate means more on the job experience. More on the job experience means better work performance. The people who work for Costco and Wal-Mart are no different... The difference is how the two companies handle their employees.

Have you ever seen the movie 'Blow'... Remember what Diego said to George... 'You failed because you had the wrong dream'...

We're on the same page. Pretty much talking about the same methods. I just think it's better/safer/easier to go the less radical method 1st.

17. Space Ghost

The employees at walmart ARE very different. When I go into a grocery store, its usually young girls either in high school or right out of high school. Walmart employees are usually middle aged with only a high school diploma with absolutely no skill sets. Walmart intentionally hires dimwits.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Costco is very different than Walmart. Costco does many things right that Walmart doesn't do.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dunning-Kruger in full display here.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I cannot believe that anyone is defending the Wal Mart model. Lots of secondary costs passed on to the tax payer while 5 people become billionaires. If there is ever a reason for the government to step in, it is in situations like this.