1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Taxes] The poor pay much higher tax rates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Jan 14, 2015.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The rich are the only ones who have seen any real reduction in taxes over the last 40 years, it stands to reason that they are the ones who should bear the brunt of the tax increases that must come if we are to balance the budget. This is especially true given the fact that local and state taxes disproportionately affect the less well-to-do, evidence in the OP and its follow-ups.

Imagine making it a crime to avoid taxes. Imagine removing the loopholes altogether to make it somewhere between difficult and impossible to avoid the taxes.

I prefer to imagine things that actually have to do with what I'm talking about rather than silly analogies.

This is the only part of your post that is even remotely accurate. It will be difficult to get those rich people who serve even richer people to raise taxes on the rich and richer. However, it is the right thing to do, no matter how many times you repeat your "wealth redistribution iz the debbil" nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  2. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

If we all agree that the rich are not going to create a tax code that actually has the "rich and richer" pay more taxes, why do so many average and poor people still believe the Democrat puppets actually represent a better option over the Republicans?

After decades upon decades (really centuries) of seeing both parties only represent different camps of the rich and ruling class, why don't people give up liberalism and embrace the more radical means that are necessary to create any real change in this country.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You do realize that the idea behind SS was that people would pay in and when they get old they would get some back right? What they get back is capped. Why would what they pay in not be capped?

SS was not intended as a "tax". If it were the funds could be used for other things.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Are you sure that's why the oil prices have dropped...??? If anything the oil and gas industries have slowed down technology to keep us dependent on their product. If not for the Saudis oil would still be around 100 bucks a barrel right now.

Right side... Left side... It doesn't matter because at the end of the day they are all going to bend us over.

Welcome to the new age of slavery. Financial slavery.

5. GladiatoRowdy

Because Democrats have actually shown some willingness to raise taxes while Republicans have resisted every such effort.

So, you're looking for more radical liberalism? I don't understand what you're getting at here.

6. HamJam

But even when they raise taxes they find a way to make so many loopholes and exceptions in it that the change still benefits the rich -- just , at times, a different group of the rich.

Voting Democrat is a pointless release valve that just dissipates the proper anger of the working class that should be funneled into actually effective means.

No. I am getting at radical measures like working people not participating in government, taking control of their own workplaces and running them for themselves, ignoring the law when it tries to stop them from acting on their own interests, and fighting the armed thugs of the rich who try to force them back in line.

1 person likes this.
  7. GladiatoRowdy

Disagree. My perception is that the Democrats put forth the proposals to raise taxes (when they are in power enough to do such things) and the Republicans are the ones who get various loopholes inserted to benefit their constituents.

Democrats are the only of the two major parties that comes close to representing the working class. If what you are proposing are changes in voting rules to make Congress more closely represent the ideological leanings of the country, we are in agreement. However, with the system in place now, the Democrats are the only viable party that will even come close to representing the actual workers.

So, the workers should arm themselves and declare war against the police, Army, and government in general?

That strikes me as a great way to get killed.

8. HamJam

It has a better chance of working then just putting your head down and repeatedly voting for the Democrats, even after they betray the people, like you, that vote them into office decade after decade (instead deciding to serve those they receive their large campaign donations from).

Also, think how many people die in the world each year due to the Democrats having essentially the same neo-colonial foreign policy as the Republicans. At least the deaths occurring from workers arming themselves and taking their fate into their own hands would be put towards the ending of the rule of those who are making death at the hands of the U.S. government inevitable.

9. Remii

Remii Member

The 'Get Rich Homies' is a more likely solution than acts of civil war. We're blinded by social issues in this country so I seriously doubt we could ever come together to do what you speak of.

10. HamJam

The main thing stopping people from doing it are people saying it is impossible (don't mean to call you out, but it is true). If all the people who only don't band together as I am describing because they think it will never work, but who otherwise like the idea, were to indeed band together, then there would be more than enough people involved to make it successful.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The analogy is there to represent what the liberals consistently propose. Ignorance and short sightedness. Your imagination to make tax avoidance a crime and remove loopholes is silly. Its already against the law to avoid taxes for starters. The loopholes are intentionally placed there as a legal means to get around them. Do you really think it was an "unintended consequence"???

Congress, not liberals and conservatives, represent themselves first. Quit pretending the liberals are the party of the people. The only difference is conservatives are more honest about it. Quit blindly worshiping the liberals. Everyone in congress is wealthy. They will not pass laws that will hurt their bottom line.

Additionally, the wealthy didn't get wealthy on accident or by a stroke of good fortune. The sooner you understand this, the better you will understand the system. If you place a roadblock in front of them, they will find a way around it. They are not going to stand around like 95% of America and beg the government to save them. The roadblock you propose to hurt the wealthy only end up hurting the middle class. Feel free to tax all you want, however the wealthy will continue to find ways to get richer. And the poor will continue to get poorer.

12. Remii

Remii Member

I won't debate what's possible on getting enough people to band together... But I will point out the militarization of the police force. Your idea is not original. It's militias who have those ideas. The government is prepared to deal with something like that.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you are for the Rich paying less tax than the poor.

Sounds like you are against the Rich paying their fair share.

Or perhaps, you just conveniently and willingly give up to protect the Rich.

Let's be accurate here. Congress is full of Republicans that had and want to continue to redistribute wealth to the rich.

14. Remii

Remii Member

What loopholes are you guys speaking of and how many are there...??? The main loophole that people will forever use is not letting the government know exactly how much money they bring in.

15. HamJam

No, my idea is not completely original -- but it has also been successful before. And, it doesn't have to be a militia, or even only a military activity. France's government was almost completely toppled in the 70's through a general strike and protests. Our own country can't control the population when it refuses to be controlled -- as in riots.

Radical is not just violence, it is using means outside of the system to solve the issues facing people.

And, since the governmental system we have has proven not to address change, and all options presented to us are owned by the rich and the corporations, I think it is insanity to continue to depend on that as the only source of change (as some do), and I am not ready to just resign myself to the status quo or the path we are currently on (as you seem to be).

16. GladiatoRowdy

Of course not. As you observed, tax avoidance is a crime (one not prosecuted enough, IMO). The next step would be removing the loopholes so that those criminals are exposed to the consequences of their avoidance.

They are the closest "the people" have. Certainly not ideal and absolutely self-serving, but a damn sight better than the only real alternative in this country.

I disagree. The last time the Democrats were in power, the top tax rate did go up. The time before that (when Clinton was in office), they raised the Reagan tax rates to the point that the budget actually balanced, right up until Bush screwed the pooch.

Really? Nobody inherits wealth?

Good, then we will know who to send to jail.

I don't know a single person, not even one, who stands around begging the government to save them. I don't know what circles you hang out in, but I don't see any evidence at all of what you claim 95% of the country does.

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to hurt the wealthy.

More power to them. I am perfectly OK with people working hard to get filthy rich. That is part of the promise of America. However, the taxes from these people will fund the efforts that we need to remain the most vibrant market in the entire world. They are currently loopholing their way out of these payments, which desperately needs to change.

They don't have to. The gains in our economy can be and have been broadly shared in our society. This can happen again, but we have to get realistic on taxes.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

great great post (at least in my opinion)

if i may throw this in there. please focus more on education.

18. Remii

Remii Member

What do you mean by all options presented to us...?

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

While I like your ideas I do not trust our congress or politicians at all. Neither party can be trusted. People with money like the one that pretends to take less, people without money like the one that pretends to take from the rich and give more.

Until there are term limits and no special interest funding all of them are bought or they will be and the will do or say anything to keep their gravy train on the tracks.

Every poster here, regardless of party would agree that education and infrastructure would be the best money spent. If the people agree why are all of the politicians so stupid. Because they are paid to be.

20. HamJam

Both the Democrats and Republicans, which we have to choose between when we vote