1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tax Cut] Information for Trump bashers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Aceshigh7, Dec 3, 2017.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The old double taxation argument. I've pointed this out before unless you're a Ferengi and believe that you actually live on through your material possesions or a Klingon and you live on through your descendents you're not being double taxed. You're dead and as the saying goes you . This is a tax on the transfer of wealth and not a tax on you or you death.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry, not on inheritance, but the following is really unbelievable to me: any break for charitable giving... any incentive for charitable giving... will expire in less than a month, most probably.

Wow. Mrs. B-Bob and I like to give to charity (and not very political ones either), and yes, it really helps that it's tax deductible.

Will we give less without any incentive? Well, if we're double-taxed on a lot of income (SALT exemption gone), and we're more heavily taxed than before (probable), then yes, we'll have to give less. We'll also have to fly home to see our families less, etc.

This is going to massively suck, for some of us at least, and bigly for a lot of charities. I've seen estimates from 25% to 40% reduction in charitable giving if this whole thing goes through.

But, on the other hand, charitable deductions mainly benefit the comfortable. Molly Six-Pack, single parent of three, working 3 part-time jobs, is definitely not donating money and getting a tax break for it. So at least that one doesn't directly hurt poor people. It's just doing to massively indirectly hurt them (less money to orgs that help them).

TLDR: sad!

KingCheetah likes this.
  3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

It's called auto correct. Again bro, I'm on the pot when I type to you.

SIL

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You know, I don't say one word about other people's errors. But when you resort to criticizing me, even when I'm not saying anything to you, then I'm going to call you out for being stupid. And none of us on here needs to know you're taking a dump when you type.

BTW, don't blame AutoCorrect. If you're too dumb to correct an AC mistake, that's on you. You're an adult (allegedly)- no excuses.

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Idgaf what you think scrub. Just telling you how it's played out. Now stfu or come through, if you want to talk anymore ****.

SIL

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a graduate and donor to CAL I agree with B-Bob that charity will take a hit. For schools like CAL though it will be double hit as the change to tax graduate tuition benefits will greatly effect higher education.

While the US primary education standards lags behind most of the rest of the developed world our Univesities especially graduate studies are strong and the envy of many. Negatively affecting that will harm US competitiveness in the long run.

Hakeemtheking, KingCheetah and B-Bob like this.
  7. dandorotik

Oh, yes you do. Of course you care what I think. It's why you keep responding to me and bringing me up.

It'd take someone a hell of a lot smarter than you to shut me up. And I talk truth, not ****.

Now, go back to your dump and leave the intelligent discussions for the adults.

8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Half way done, you entertain me.

SIL

9. dandorotik

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

@dandorotik here's some reading material for you.

SIL

11. dandorotik

Hee, hee. Seriously, how weak do you have to be to quote that? "Ooh, my feelings are hurt!!" Hilarious.

You get more pathetic with each bowel movement. Maybe quit while you're behind (pun intended)

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Non-profit reform is sorely needed, but with some of these latest pass-thru revisions in LLCs, less hoops to jump through to keep your money and no need to pretend to be standing for a good cause!

Profit!

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well, that's the Mormon interpretation of it. You mormon?

14. TheresTheDagger

Congratulations on a successful business!

Sorry if I was confused, but you did describe the AMT change as "a total move for the wealthy", so hopefully you'll forgive my confusion. By your own admission some folks do pay it who make less than 200k annually. I wouldn't call them wealthy. Also, I know at least one person who pays it and doesn't receive the state/local deduction. My guess is there are 100's of thousands of others in states where those deductions do not exist. In the meantime, one version of the bill only raises the requirements for the AMT so it may actually still stay in place.

The estate tax is not eliminated in either version of the bill. The exemption is doubled (to 11 million) but not eliminated. Zuckerberg's heirs are still screwed. And any "value" created by your company I'm assuming was taxed in the normal course of your business profits...goodwill or not. As far as stock, wouldn't any heir who sells stock they inherited pay capital gains? Again, a tax is in place.

I agree it is one of the major issues, but characterizing the estate tax change as a "repeal" is disingenuous. Its most certainly not being repealed. In my meantime, it is my opinion taking money from citizens regardless of how rich they are to give to the government doesn't do much to change the wealth gap either. Putting more money back into the economy to drive growth however can.

What about them? Is your argument that we do it so much what's one more? Only strengthens my assertion we are overtaxed already.

Me too, but over time we have gone from 1 party extolling the virtues of cutting spending to zero. I might as well get back as much of the money I send as I can. At least I can be confident THAT money is spent properly.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm assuming you are talking about the fact that the standard deduction will raise to a point where it will preclude folks from itemizing and thus being able to claim charitable deductions?

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This is quaint. I'll be paying 20% capital gains whether his tax plan goes through or not. However its nice to see that the dogs are still too busy fighting over table scraps to bite their masters. So, good dog, now that you've had some scraps go outside and protect my yard.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much anyone would say that when the economy is growing which it has been, is the time to try and pay down some of your debt. The economy doesn't need a tax-cut stimulus right now, especially one that will increase the rate the debt is growing.

That's the simplest way I thin it can be put.

To the Republicans saying that Democrats should pay more in taxes if they don't like these tax cuts, I have two things to say.

1. I already will be paying more in taxes because of these "cuts".
    2. Were you voluntarily paying more in taxes back when you were complaining about the debt increasing?

CometsWin likes this.