1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Targets this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 11, 2022.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is why numbers don't tell the entire story. KAT is a significantly better shot creator and playmaker than Gobert. Meanwhile, Gobert gets his points Capela style. To say "that's about it" is severely underselling that. Also, with Gobert, you HAVE to have a PF that can shoot from distance because he absolutely clogs up at the paint. KAT on the other hand is pretty dangerous from range which changes the entire offensive capabilities of the team.

The wins thing is a bit shortsighted as well. Jazz has had a better team roster and coaching IMO compared to the Wolves until recently.

2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It is wild how Javale has transformed into a respectable and smart mentor, this guy was the king of Shaqtin for the first several years of his career and was just about out of the league.

saleem and ipaman like this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He plays with Chris Paul who made Deandre Jordan a max player and Blake Griffin a max player... I don't want him at all...

KAT is way better.

D-rock likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

They will be off the books this yr

5. conquistador#11

Tyus Jones or Ricky Rubiiiio. Rubbbioooo

theDude likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

are you thinking Wall is going to be traded before the season starts or is he going to be bold and decline a player option worth more than $40 million next season?

Corrosion likes this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty big on Tyus Jones. Get him with a portion of that MLE and have a steady role player at the PG position for several years.

ilias likes this.
  8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I see this thread title in a different way

here is our only targets for the off-season imo:

-Trade Wood and Gordon while trying to trade Wall to the lakers for that pick.
    -Draft BPA w our picks and hope the ping pong balls fall in our favor.
    -Take flyers on young players with upside in FA

that’s it.

BigMaloe and ilias like this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

I'm a little confused. You're making my points but ignoring defense...

Also, you are overstating the offensive impact because Gobert pretty much only shoots when he's almost certain to make it.

The floor spacing and shooting are all good points I already made. But as you point out you need a stretch 4 next to Gobert like most 4s are now.

KAT lets you play 5 out but few teams play that way, most have a big down low so citing that as a flaw that is common in most teams is a little strange...

I get your view... i just weigh defense more than you i guess... it's close either way...

D-rock likes this.
  10. Landry's Tooth

I don't see the Lakers willing to move that pick over saving cash on a Westbrook buyout or stretch...

11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

See clutch’s latest tweet. Interesting trade idea but that’s the only possibility (as slim as it is) where anyone can see wall being traded. Even typing that phrase made me laugh. 47 M expiring contract is easier to trade than two years of that deal I guess

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why not try out the G League MVP, Trev Queen at SF instead?

Top 5 in scoring AND steals this season.

6'6 195.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think people realize there's a limited amount of roster spots.

Each team has 15 regular season roster spots and 2 two way spots.

Wall occupies one of those 15. It's highly unlikely they find a deal to move him and his $47,366,760.
    It takes $37,893,408. in MINIMUM outgoing salary for a team over the cap to trade for that contract.
    Wall's roster spot is safe .... So essentially the Rockets have 14 roster spots.

They have Two(2) expiring free agents in Schroder & Fernando. They have Two(2) incoming draft picks to fill those two spots vacated by Fernando & Schroder.

1. Wall
    2. Green
    3. Christopher
    4. Sengun
    5. Garuba
    6. Porter
    7. Tate
    8. Martin jr.
    9. Mathews
    10. Nix
    11. Wood
    12. EG
    13. Nwaba
    14. Draft Pick
    15. Draft Pick.

You were at "That's 11 players right there" .... How many teams actually go 11 deep??? More often than not, even bad teams only go 8-9 deep.

Its more like 14 deep ....

I think ideally they'd move EG, Wood & Nwaba for picks and expiring contracts that are immediately expendable (Cut) potentially freeing up roster spots so maybe you can sign a point guard (Schroder?) or a 3D wing.

But without moving "someone" .... they just don't have any roster spots.

dmoneybangbang, Nook and D-rock like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have to believe they bring him back on a two way with the idea of converting the contract once the roster is clear of Nwaba / EG / Wood and if by some miracle Wall.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

$37,893,408. in MINIMUM outgoing salary. There are only 13 single contracts that large in the entire league.

If there's a deal to be done, it has to occur during the offseason when rosters are expanded to 20 and they can piece together enough contracts to reach that minimum figure.

Otherwise, he's expiring a Rocket.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone & Silas seem to have hitched their wagon to Wood and EGo as part of their core.

I think Bruno, Schroder, Nwaba, Nix, Tate go before Wood or EGo do.

17. Asian Sensation

Agreed on needing a rim protecting big. I see a few good options this year but I think 2023 has a lot better options on that front.

I think we definitely need a true PG and another ball handler which brings me to my next question. Why isn’t there more talk of Jalen Brunson? The few times I’ve seen his name thrown around I saw some posters seemed to dislike/hate the idea. Legit curious as to why?

16.3 ppg, 4.8apg, 4rpg
    50% FG
    37 % 3PT
    84% FT

The main thing that grabbed my attention is his 3:1 assist to turnover ratio. That’s extremely good. A player with that type of ball security I’d love him as a primary ball handler. He could make the game easier/relieve a lot of pressure from Green/KPJ. A back court with the three of them sounds really good to me. What am I missing here?

https://syndication.bleacherreport....on-rumors-john-wall-predictions-more.amp.html

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

1. What makes you think Mavs don't want to keep Brunson?

2. Brunson is 6'0 and Rockets are already too small as it is.

3. Brunson is a very good defender but he is not very switchable. And Brunson is not very disruptive, does not take the ball away.

4. The Mavs really like Brunson.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Word is that NY REALLY wants Brunson + their GM has known Brunson since he was a kid (repped Brunson’s dad)

D-rock likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I just think it would be ideal for us while rebuilding, I can’t see why he’d do it though.

Someone like that would be good for us. We have to start getting selective about who deserves usage, some more off ball players would be great. Jalen, Sengun, KPJ and our 2022 pick are going to need all the touches next season.