1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe because we actually drafted Nicolas Batum and the Blazers were the ones who drafted Dorsey? :rolleyes:

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Because the idea that the Bucks will trade Bogut is laughable? The guy made All-NBA team last year. He is massively superior to Okafor, and for that reason, will not be traded.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

While he was technically the Blazers pick, I'm pretty sure they picked him on our behalf. That's usually how those draft day trades work.

What Morey said about Dorsey after that draft:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_select_Donte_Greene_J-276233-34.html

[rquoter]
    Joey Dorsey (6-7, 265, Memphis)

Says Morey: “He’s, in our opinion, the best defensive big in the country. He anchored the best defense in the country in Memphis, and he was the player on that team who made the largest impact; through steals, through shot blocking, through his ability to guard nearly every position on the floor with his speed and athleticism.

“He’s someone who can make an impact right away. He’s ready to play right now. He can run the floor. He can anchor a transition line-up. We feel like he’s a top-five rebounder in the country on both ends. So he’s creating extra possessions on the offensive end, and he’s getting steals.

“He is 6’ 7’’ but he’s long. He makes up for any sort of size limitation with his wide body, and athleticism and speed.”[/rquoter]

So far in Dorsey's career, he's averaged 13.6 rebounds, 1.7 steals, and 1.2 blocks per 36 minutes. Solid rates. He's also averaged about 5.9 fouls per 36 minutes, he's struggled with foot problems, and is basketball IQ is questionable.

Ultimately, the Rockets took a gamble that he'd pan out into Ben Wallace-light, and it didn't work out. They didn't complete misread what kind of player he'd be, but he didn't turn out to be what they hoped. That's the case with a lot of 2nd rounders.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Camby really showing how he can be a hand in glove fit with our offense(and defense) in tonight's game. Problem is the age. He wouldn't be a long term solution. Still, I wouldn't mind getting him as a band-aid if all our other options are exhausted. We could use him for a playoff run, and hold-over for the next year or two as we continue our search.

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Unlikely? Yes. But if we're entertaining talk about Okafor, I still don't think Bogut is a much bigger stretch. Milwaukee basically used up all their cap space with Salmons, Maggette, and Gooden. They are sucking anyway and there is no way they can afford to pay so much for a losing team in a small market. I'd label all those contracts as toxic because of their length, and there is no way they can get rid of those contracts without a sweetener. I like Bogut, but he is slightly overpaid and has injury problems. That's why it'd be a gamble, but I think its worth it. How is that more laughable than getting Okafor? Or for that matter, McGee and Cousins, both of whom have been deemed untouchable? New Orleans is in win now and keep CP3 happy mode, as evidenced by the Jack trade. You really think it's likely they'll take some of our young guys and expiring contracts? Please.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would call those better than solid rates. He fouls too much, isn't an offensive force, and still hasn't played too many minutes. The minutes he has played, he has been the most effective defensive (edit) big man for the Raptors.

#166 Joe Joe, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They almost had a deal this summer with rip and tay for peja and fillers but then detroit pulled back. Now that new orleans has rebounded some, detroit is bringing it back up and they will not have to include west at all.

That deal they made earlier breaking up peja's contract will be the nucleus of the deal. Prince and rip for ariza,belinelli,banks, and other filler. Maybe it happens,maybe it doesnt, but the hornets arent getting rid of okafor.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sorry, that means N.O. is taking on mega salary with Rip still having 2 years left after this one. That hinders their efforts to sell the team.

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

DM will not overpay for a small upgrade. Small upgrade includes Gortat, Nazr, McGee, Haywood, Thabeet, etc. Major upgrade would be Bogut, Marc Gasol, Amare, Noah,..

DM might overpay a little for a major upgrade, but more likely, he will involve two other teams and give each of them stuff that they really want, and will not overpay. Might take a while to hit this home run, but Morey is very, very patient.

I expect he will get us a minor upgrade at C by the trade deadline, possibly a major upgrade.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

PB,

That is part of the problem, bigs are usually paid more than smalls, because of their rarity.

The Rockets need to bite the bullet and get a young shot blocking big.....a true center.....

We are overloaded at wing and PF......and with draft picks and cash......I am sure there has to be one team willing to let one go....

DD

11. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

:rolleyes: right back at you for your ignorance. Like Durvasa said, while Dorsey was technically the Blazers pick, they picked him on our behalf. That's how those draft day trades work. Just like Carl Landry was picked by Seattle(OKC) on our behalf :rolleyes:

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

We should have traded for Al Jeff, period.

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

But who?

-If a team drafted a center, they're unlikely to trade him in his rookie year. Most teams want to wait it out and see players develop a little. The same logic goes for centers in the league 2-3 years in.

-Teams with accomplished centers who get playing time are almost never available. For those clamoring for Bogut or Gasol, neither team is realistically going to part with them.

What's usually available in the trade market are known quantities. Guys buried on the bench of another team with glaring needs in other positions. I mentioned DeSagana Diop in another thread as a realistic trade prospect; he gets very little playing time in Charlotte and is solid defensively.

I did a query on basketball-reference of players 6-10 or taller this season who've started less than 10 games and sorted them by defensive rating. Defensive rating is an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions based on the number of times players have scored on them against the number of minutes they've played. Like any stat, its not a total player assessment, but its an indicator and a decent way of assessing who's out there:

For single seasons; played in the NBA/BAA; in the regular season; in 2010-11; 6-10 or taller; requiring Games Started <= 10; sorted by descending Defensive Rating.

full list

14. pbthunder

As a fan, it drives me nuts waiting for trades to happen, but DM is waiting for the best deals he can get.

We could trade Hill or PPatt, Jeffries, AB or Lowry, Lee or Bud, plus Yao, and be in pretty good shape with the players that we have left over. I drool, thinking of what we could get back for those five players. I'm guessing two get moved by the deadline, then a couple more in July-August.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is ridiculous, but it is nice to think of the lineup.

CP3/Lowry
    Martin/Lee/Williams
    Melo/Bud/Williams
    Scola/Hayes
    Okafor/Miller

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I wanted DJ Mbenga as a cheap,defensive center for awhile now. Vet min for a guy who will just dirty work,block shots,rebound and dunk wouldve been good for this type of team.

17. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

How about we help out N.Y. and help ourselves in one fell swoop.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2fsd2mt

Houston receives Anthony Randolph and Ronny Turiaf. N.Y. receives Jared Jeffries and Houston rescinds the rights to the pick swap for this year.

We get our shot blocker in Ronny on a cheap 1 year deal, and we also pick up Randolph who very well could be a future stud. We also cut close to a million off of the luxury tax.

New York benefits by getting their pick back for this year thus giving them more fire power for the Denver trade. They also get Jeffries who fits their system and provides them with the defense in the middle that they sorely lack. He is also a known commodity in N.Y.

The only downside to the trade is it further complicates our problem of having too many bigs (even though our bigs are really mediums).

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd do this deal in a NY minute. We can still follow that up by using Yao/Hill/Budinger/Battier/Brooks for other assets.

19. pbthunder

BTW, Larry Coon recently pointed out that NY can trade the 2011 pick, as soon as they make it. I.e., they make an agreement as to whom they will select, then they make the trade official by trading that selected player to the other team.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

AR is not good nor defensive.