1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Kings Recall Hassan Whiteside

4.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, in the NBDL.

So, if we trade for him now, it'd be too late for him to make the All-star team?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's what he managed in the NBDL? Man, that's terrible, unless they didn't give him any minutes.

3. pbthunder

Actually, they didn't. He wasn't the starter.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He didn't get that many minutes because there were better centers already on the team ahead of him. They say he did well with the minutes he did get. I believe he had a 6 block game.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think the Kings control their D-league team so they can't dictate rotations etc like the Rox can.

DD

6. pbthunder

Closer Look at Hassan Whiteside's D-League Troubles

Nick Fazekas, for those of you needing a center for your fantasy league teams. Undoubtedly, DM is trying to grab him as we speak.

1 person likes this.
  7. pbthunder

Now, there's an argument we can seek our teeth in - we should trade for him because his damn D-League team held him back on merit.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! That was an interesting read. Sounds like Whiteside is a major project for a team that has a spot for him and a hell of a lot of patience.

9. DaDakota

You mean a team that is looking for someone with upside and is not really a contender?

Now where could we find such a team?

;)

DD

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

But does he have upside? That is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles ...

The league is littered with big "men" with upside that never panned out. What do the Kings really have with Whiteside? At least I can remember his name! ;-)-

11. DaDakota

Yep, but if you never take risks you never find out, and he is in a position of DESPERATE need.

And would probably be cheap to acquire.

DD

12. pbthunder

Hey, I was screaming for DM to get us a 2nd-round pick with which to grab Whiteside last summer. But the facts are: 1) Many teams passed on him to let him slide far into the 2nd round, 2) he just hasn't shown anything yet to anybody at the NBA level, nor to 3) his D-League coach.

He may very well have potential. But, several posters here have been clamoring for us to trade for him. I don't see a justification for such excitement. I think Ish or Budinger are more likely saviors for us, and as I've said elsewhere, Jordan Hill seems to have more future as an NBA center than Whiteside. At least to this point.

Believe me, if DM trades for him, I will start believing that he has something, especially if we trade Ish for him.

13. pbthunder

Let's say they offer him to us for nothing. Well, we'd have to come up with a slot for him.

We already flushed JT down the drain. We should cut Ish, or trade him for a 2nd-rounder, to make room for Whiteside? I don't think we do have that much patience.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

DD, one thing we are is a team in desperate need for an athletic, defensive 5, as everyone can see. It'd be nice to get one with that's a bit more polished, but if we had a spot and he was cheap, I'd agree that Whiteside is at least worth a look. One worry I'd have is that the dude is locked into his contract through 2013/14 (I think). No, it isn't for a huge amount (less than a million per year), but those small amounts can be important when you're trying to stay out of LT territory, assuming the new NBA contract makes that still a consideration (very likely, IMO). It's a risk in any event. If Morey decides to take that risk, I'm OK with it. Guess we'll see.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You should post more often.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

His contract is only guaranteed through next season.

17. DaDakota

Deckard,

I hear ya, but I don't give a hoot about the Lux tax when insurance has been paying Yao and Tmac's salaries for the past several years, making the team probably the most profitable it has ever been due to those injuries.

And I agree, it would be nice to have someone a little more polished but those are not 2nd round picks...those are first round ones...

:)

I always feel it is a better roster to have some veterans on the downside, some in their prime, some coming on and some a long way out...

And to have them spread throughout the roster, this organization has been avoiding the long term guys and taking productive college players that are closer to contributing now that in the future....

And as a result we are short, and unathletic....that needs to change ASAP, IMO.

DD

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks. That's one liability with Whiteside we wouldn't have to worry about.

No argument there!

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That just leaves the "he's not very good" liability.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which is my main concern.