1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Target Chicago or Clippers or Nets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Onepaks, May 23, 2000.

1. Onepaks

Onepaks Member

I think the biggest news so far after the lottery drawing was that Swift does not want to be a Clipper and the Nets are thinking to draft Mihm or trade to get a center. If this is true, then we should target Chicago Nets,or Clipper's pick.

Scene 1: Trade with Chicago

Bulls get: 9th pick, Cato
    Rockets get: 4th pick/Purdue

This way, Chicago still gets a center coz Mihm will be taken by the Nets and still get the 9th pick to go along with 7th.

Scene 2: Trade with Clippers

Clippers get: 9th pick, Cato, Thomas, Drew
    Rockets get: 1st pick/kandi/Nesby

This way they still get a center, a decent pf, a decent point guard and the 9th pick to be used for a 2guard.

Scene 3: Trade with Nets

Nets get: Cato/9th pick
    Rockets get: 1st pick/Gill

This way they get a center to replace Williams, a lotto pick that can be used to pick up a sf and they will give up sg that takes away playing time from Kittles.

There can also be a 4 way trade

Bulls Get: 1st pick (from NJ)

Nets Get: 7th pick from Bulls/9th pick (from Hou)/Cato (from Hou)

Rocks Get 3rd pick (from Clip)/Kandi (from Clip)

Clippers Get: Kittles (from NJ), Drew (from Hou), Thomas (from Hou), 4th pick (from Bulls)

If this proposed 4 way trade happen, I predict:

1. Bulls: Mihm- the center they wanted
    2. grizz: Martin- the shotblocking pf
    3. Houston: Swift- same as Grizz
    4. Clips: Fizer- prevents getting Swift. They will aso have a line-up of Drew, Kittles, Odom, Fizer, Thomas. They can use they other players to trade for a center and draft a pg with their 13th pick
    5. Nets: (7th pick)Miles or Miller; (9th pick)Moiso

------------------

2. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

Those are all great trades for us but bad for the other team involved. I said this before and will say it again: WE CAN'T AND WON'T MOVE UP IN THE DRAFT! Cato is crap, Drew is crap. Teams don't want crap unless they need to kill a bad contract and we don't need bad contracts.

------------------

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You know ...

the key to being a good trader is to know the difference between crap and shinola.

this is crap : Drew and Cato.

this is shinola: good players.

See?
    Its not that hard.

------------------
    Cato is 7 feet tall.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Cato is crap?

Don't you guys think we're being a little hard on the guy? I agree that at times he looked disinterested, but is now doing 2-a-days with Carroll Dawson to become a better player.

As I've said before, the only trade including Cato is one where the Rockets get a quality starting center(assuming Hakeem does not recover). If they don't any of you seriously want to go to war with no center?

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Center would be a less important position if the other pieces were right(see the Bulls). I would agree that Cato is a force,when he wants to be but if it were a trade to get the #1 then do it immediately! KMart has more game than Cato(potiential or otherwise) and if you got him then that is your dominate force in the middle. If we threw in Drew and Walt + #9, maybe we could get Van Horn as well. At that point all you would need is a wide body to rebound and be physical in the middle.

I would not want Kittles though and that seems to be the player the Nets want to dump.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

[This message has been edited by Dennis2112 (edited May 23, 2000).]

6. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Good work onepaks; those multiple trades give us something to think about!

Trade #1 -- I'd prefer Dickey Simpkins to Will Purdue

Trade #2 -- This one is OK by me but I'm not sure that Cato isn't better than Kandy

Trade #3 -- I would prefer Kittles, Feick or Eschenmeyer to Gill but we probably should go big.

Thoughts: why is everyone so down on Cato. I live out of state and don't get to see him play that often but GIVE THE GUY A BREAK.

He's no Hakeem but neither is anyone else on the horizon. He seems like a pretty decent, YOUNG player. He's 7' and he can move. Why does everyone want to give up on him-- to ride us of his contract, I guess.

And why does everyone move KT in these scenarios? Is it because we want to be rid of him or because other teams want him. If it is the latter, maybe we should try to hold onto him. Wasn't he a splendid surpirse?

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

7. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

One other thing: God Bless Stromile Swift and Chris Mihm for not hiring agents; it sure makes this situation more dramatic!

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

8. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

RP - you brought an interesting subject. Where did you find out that Cato is now doing 2-a-day with Dawson? That is a sign of dedication.

If that is true, then I believe we don't have to look any further until we get the full potential of Cato.

And again if that is true, then Rockets are really giving the core of this new group a chance for next year to prove themselves.

I would like to think the organization is basing their decision from the last games of the season when the Rocks gelled pretty good.

------------------

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

this is getting ridiculous...

cato is crap?

c'mon now fellas. how many of you said cutmob was crap, too? or the wiz was crap? try to have some perspective. a young, athletic center like cato needs time.

i'd sooner say the wiz was, and is, crap.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

10. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I am not a Cato defender by no means but I will say the following , even though Cato has been in the league 3yrs going into his 4th (I think) the guy did not get much playing time while in Portland unless you want to count 3 to 5 minutes here and there (trash time) as alot of experience so understandably he will need some time to develop , he is one of those players that we say "has potential" why ? because it is understood he hasn't reached it yet because of lack of playing time so all of you that are already saying that he is out of here might be in for a surprise when the season starts BUT we can honestly say that if the right deal came about then he is gone !

------------------
    It's all about marketing !

11. today

today Contributing Member

RocketsPimp - During the season, I heard/read someplace Cato would be working hard this off-season w/ CD. I posted it a month and a half ago in Popeye's first Monster Thread about Trade Talks and asked i anyone else could remember where it was said, but i got no responses. Is this what you are remembering from awhile back or have you recently heard some confirmation that Cato is, in fact, working out with CD?

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight." -- Barkley on Pheonix Sun Chris Carr(...I think) after he missed a game winning free-throw.

[This message has been edited by today (edited May 23, 2000).]