1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taran Armstrong

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by VoR, Dec 9, 2021.

1. VoR

VoR Member

A name to keep an eye on. 6’ 5” Freshman Aussie PG at California Baptist. Raw but I really like what I see so far. Need to get him against some tougher competition. Didn’t do so well against Texas, but he’s still getting his footing. Early in the season.

sirjesse and daywalker02 like this.
  2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

He has his rights.

3. VoR

VoR Member

?

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Reference to BJ Armstrong, agent for Donatas Motiejunas (former Rox player), who knew his (and his player's) rights

hakeem94, VoR, sirjesse and 1 other person like this.
  5. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

It's TARAN up my ARMS when I'm with you.

dmoneybangbang and palmsnbananas like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thansk for the info, but i am not interested in mediocrity ... we have enough elite talent as is....
    focus on continuity and development....and actually using what we already got... silas aint even playing JC Sengun and Garuba... what hes gonna do with Tarzan then?

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  7. VoR

VoR Member

Potential to be Doncic like with his build and court vision. Mediocrity isn't the word to use. I was the only one on the board keen on Giddey and I was right about him. Just keep him on your radar.

8. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Hakeem is out here acting the fool and thinking its trolling.

As for Armstrong, another guy I haven't heard of, but a big guard that can shoot is another welcome addition to this team.

Decent advanced stats, poor SOS, few highlights I'm seeing show great vision and high BBIQ but the competition is so bad idk what to make of it.

Could be a late 2nd/undrafted pickup.

VoR likes this.
  9. VoR

VoR Member

Australia is producing a lot of kids who play team ball instead of ISO, this is giving them an advantage playing against ISO ball hogs with low BBIQ.

It seems California Baptist has strong Aussie ties and his brother also plays there. Any Freshman getting 15 dimes in a game is worth watching as a scout. The team is beginning to be funneled through him, which we didn’t see in the Texas matchup. If he keeps this up and declares at the end of the season, I don’t see him slipping through the second round. Too much potential to groom him for a year in the G League and let his game rise to the talent around him.

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  10. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

What's his wingspan? He looks like he lacks the first step required to succeed in the NBA as a guard. Might be closer to a Frank Nilikina than a white(er) Lonzo Ball.

American youth development is a dumpster fire, sure, but going for strong bball fundimentals without athleticism leaves you looking like the Utah Jazz (minus Mitch). I just don't see this guy beating any NBA guard off the dribble.

I'd still take a flyer on him, because why not, but idk.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In all honesty, I am still not terribly keen on Giddey.

Once defenses adjust to his skillset and realize he has an incredibly low .463 TS%, as is happening now, I think he is going to need to develop some very critical skills to really make it in the league.

For me, I see a more difficult road to him being a starter on a championship team compared to a lot of guys in his draft class. I confess though, I've only watched 3-4 games of his.

Would you trade Josh or Sengun for Giddey?

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  12. VoR

VoR Member

You got to go with the kids you got, but Giddey is a great glue guy.

I would have traded down to get Giddey.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

14. Nook

Nook Member

I would take Josh Giddey over Josh Christopher and possibly Sengun as well.

Giddey just turned 19 years old and is already getting assists, rebounds, steals and decent block numbers in the NBA and he is 6'8".

He clearly needs to learn to shoot better (preferably from 3) but he will likely improve in that area.

15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Posted about this kid in the "who would your later picks be" thread. He's got IQ, vision, and some touch. Hard not to compare him to Giddey, but Giddey is 3 inches taller and 30 lbs. heavier, which accommodates for his mid-tier athleticism.

Here's his 1 AST / 7 TO game vs Texas.

16. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

He has NBA vision, though those cross-court wrap around passes are turnovers in the NBA. Only a freshman, but didn't see him beating too many dudes of the dribble.

17. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah no way he's playing in the league in his current state. I don't think he's the type of ballhandler to just blow by defenders with quickness. He has kind of a slow, high dribble. His movements are more stop and go than straight line speed. Getting bigger and stronger would help him a lot in that area..shielding and bumping off defenders. Help the passes come out quicker too.

The 3pt and FT shooting is worrying. Good test coming up this weekend vs Arizona and Bennedict Mathurin.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I think Armstrong will play in the NBA. He has solid size and his frame should fill out. His shot is slow but mechanics are solid… I don’t think he will be a star or even a tier 1 starter… but guys with size that can pass, play hard and hit open shots stick around the league for years.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I prefer Hilton